Notices

Digital Cameras

Old 11-28-2004, 10:49 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Digital Cameras

Hands down favorite, the Canon S1 IS, no comparison when it comes to best bang for the buck. If you're also going to be shooting from the boat while underway, the Image Stabilization is phenomenal. Several in CBPBA bought these since last spring.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...d=9824&sa=true

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 11-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How do you think steve1 feels about now?
Old 11-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Registered

Funny s h i t!!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Registered

Couldnt keep up with all the posts.Steve must of felt like the pivot man on a major circle jerk!!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Registered

Over and out.Tired from the fireworks tonight.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Digital Cameras

Originally Posted by formulaz583
What "issues" do they have with the Rebel???
Flash and exposure related problems:
http://www.shopping.com/xPR-Canon_Di...D-151454322308

Focusing problems if you use a third party lens such as Sigma; Quantary; Vivitar; Tamron etc. The camera only focuses like it should with Canon lenses:
http://www.shopping.com/xPR-Canon_Di...D-151454322308

Admitted quality problems because:

The 10D is assembled in Japan, the Digital Rebel is assembled in Taiwan.

Viewfinder issues:

The 10D has a glass pentaprism while the digital Rebel (EOS 300D) has a pentamirror.

Focus errors with non-Canon lenses:
http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolo...l_eos_300d.php

Error 99 with Sigma lenses.

So the Canon Rebel seems to be fine if you go with all Canon exclusive digital lenses..not back-wards compatible without problems even with Canon lenses and Canon Flash units.

Some of the Sigma lenses made of ED glass that are multi-coated are rated as equal to some of the Canon lenses and at much reduced prices; but there are many issues with them not focusing clearly. Now with the Nikon D-70 which every photographer will tell you is the best digital SLR out there; there are no issues and many more features as well for
$ 600.00 more than a Rebel. It all comes down to $$$.

So that's why Steve's Digicams says the best under $ 1,000.00 camera is the New Panasonic/Leica FZ-20 @ $ 600.00 and the next move up is to the Nikon D-70.
Many cameras have more megapixels but do not take pictures anywhere near these 2 cameras. The megapixel wars are over according to Nikon. A 5-6 million megapixel camera can take photographer quality pictures up to 14x20. The lens and CCD are more important once you reach 5.5 million megapixels than trying to get more and more megapixels.

I was going to get the Canon Digital Rebel until I found out about these concerns. As I said if you buy a complete Canon system including all Canon exclusive digital lenses and digital flash you are fine. If you buy third party items for it expect a decline in performance especially with the flash. I always buy Nikon lenses and flash units but have had a Sigma lens as well a friend gave me that works great the D-70. I expect third party accessory items to perform well on any SLR camera. If they don't it's not for me.

The reason I like the Panasonic/Leica so much is that the lens will zoom instantly from 36mm-426mm and retain a 2.8f stop all the way through the range. Add a Telephoto lens and you extend the zoom to over 650mm. Only Leica and Zeiss have lenses that can keep a 426mm zoom open to f2.8. It takes perfect glass and grinding processes to accomplish this. There is not one Japanese company that can meet a West German made lens in this regard. Carl Zeiss and Leica rule. It's a shame my $ 600.00 Panasonic/Leica takes better low light pictures than the D-70 Nikon I have. My Nikkor Zoom lens at 420mm is a whopping F5.6. It needs tons of light. The Leica is at F2.8. Benefits? You can use much faster shutter speeds and stop action at boat races much easier and get better results without a tripod. The Leica lens on the Panasonic comes with lens stabiliztion which has been shown to perform better than CCD stabilizers in terms of detail and sharpness.

Buy an FZ-20 and try it for 2 weeks (Ritz camera allows 2 week trials) and you will keep it for life. It's equal to every Nikon I have in quality and function and try to fit a D-70 with Nikkor lenses from 36mm-420mm and see what the cost will be.
I estimate about $ 3,200.00+.

Leica wanted Panasonic /Matasusita Electronic company to do a lot of work for them and the trade off is they made this lens for them below cost. It is as good as some of their
$ 2,500.00 lenses. I learned of this camera through a company that takes real-estate pictures for a living. They said the European Leica model costs 2-3 times the price. It's a real gem. The lens is fully assembled in West Germany and then the camera is built and the lens fitted and tested in Japan. No Taiwan here.

Expect Models of the Canon rebel in 6mos to a year to be out in a new model that fixes the problems with compatibility. Until then the D-70 rules. Only the Contax with Zeiss lenses can compete and that's a $ 6,000.00- $ 10,000 venture.

I call 'em like the reviews and my experience sees 'em...

These are a couple pictures Phantom took with the FZ-20 in Miami recently. I think they are amazing!!! A D-70 could not do better! That boat and helicopter is doing around 90+mph and the picture is crystal clear. These 2 pictures tell the whole story...
Attached Thumbnails Digital Cameras-kean-chopper.jpg   Digital Cameras-swipes.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 11-29-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:54 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Bought last years version of Fuji S5000. (basically the same camera) AWESOME, and it will do video with sound and take up to 1GB disks.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Great camera if you keep everything Canon. The Canon 18-55mm EF-S f4-5.6 IS USM ($599.95) and the Canon EF75-300mm ($529.95) are topdrawer. The best flash to go with is the canon EX speedlite @ $459.99.

You just have to keep it all Canon.

So...$899.99 after rebate for the camera and 18-55mm lens ..(not as good as the EF-S 17-85mm as it uses ED glass). Then add the 75-300 and flash ...total package $1,888.00.

It's not cheap in that you can't use the Quantary Digital flash for Canon as it has compatibility problems at only $ 139.99....also a high quality Quantary ED glass lens 70-300mm for digital Canons is only $ 169.99.

I think Canon "built in" the need for its' accessories. Nikon did not.

In the end if you buy the D-70 Nikon and go with Sigma lenses and a Sunpack Nikon flash TTL system you wind up paying about the same.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by t500hps
Bought last years version of Fuji S5000. (basically the same camera) AWESOME, and it will do video with sound and take up to 1GB disks.
The Fuji S 5000 is very nice ..it has a fast 2.8-3.1 Fujinon lens. 3 million megapixels.

You can see the FZ-20 Pana/Leica out to full digital zoom thinks it's a telescope. I never had a camera that took straight pictures of the moon and allowed you to see craters.
Attached Thumbnails Digital Cameras-s5000_front_blk.jpg   Digital Cameras-panasonic_dmc-fz20_with_lens_hood.jpg   Digital Cameras-fz20-themoon.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 11-29-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wally looks pretty good on the Panasonic/Leica too..
Attached Thumbnails Digital Cameras-wally-september2004.jpg  

Quick Reply: Digital Cameras

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.