Like Tree0Likes

Digital Cameras

Reply
Old 12-04-2004, 07:28 PM
  #81
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Hydrocruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,759
Arrow Re: Digital Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaston
May have to get one to play around with. Thanks
After much research here is what I found to be best in class digital cameras:

(First...if Tigerdirect.com sells it expect the best price and their service is great.)

Best $ 200.00 Digital...Olympus D-580...very nice crisp colors 4 MMP.

Best $ 300.00 Digital....Olympus C-60....6.1 MMP...simply outstanding.

Olympus owns the $200-300 market. Some of the Canons are good too. MInolta is not the same since they merged with Konica..read that "Made in Taiwan".

The the Panasonic/Leica FZ-20 can be had for $ 450-500

Then the Canon Digital Rebel about equal to the FZ-20 if you want an SLR but it is made in Taiwan and comes with a cheap lens and can only accommodate Canon accessories. I personally am sad to hear all this as I was going to buy one.

Then the next move is to a Nikon D-70 system at say $ 1,500.00 before adding a long range zoom lens and eventually expect to sink around $ 3,500.00 into it. Worth every cent.

Then the Contax digital system when you have 10 grand to sink into a really serious W. German camera and Zeiss lenses. Skip the Leica as the Contax kills everything in it's path.
Hydrocruiser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:45 PM
  #82
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ketchum OK
Posts: 762
Default Re: Digital Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
After much research here is what I found to be best in class digital cameras:

(First...if Tigerdirect.com sells it expect the best price and their service is great.)

Best $ 200.00 Digital...Olympus D-580...very nice crisp colors 4 MMP.

Best $ 300.00 Digital....Olympus C-60....6.1 MMP...simply outstanding.

Olympus owns the $200-300 market. Some of the Canons are good too. MInolta is not the same since they merged with Konica..read that "Made in Taiwan".

The the Panasonic/Leica FZ-20 can be had for $ 450-500

Then the Canon Digital Rebel about equal to the FZ-20 if you want an SLR but it is made in Taiwan and comes with a cheap lens and can only accommodate Canon accessories. I personally am sad to hear all this as I was going to buy one.

Then the next move is to a Nikon D-70 system at say $ 1,500.00 before adding a long range zoom lens and eventually expect to sink around $ 3,500.00 into it. Worth every cent.

Then the Contax digital system when you have 10 grand to sink into a really serious W. German camera and Zeiss lenses. Skip the Leica as the Contax kills everything in it's path.
You have been doing your home work
jeaston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:23 PM
  #83
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Hydrocruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,759
Arrow Re: Digital Cameras

You may notice that many retail Photography stores will not sell Olympus point and shoots. There is hardly any mark up and they outperform most of the other brands they make a lot of money on.
Hydrocruiser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:31 AM
  #84
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ketchum OK
Posts: 762
Default Re: Digital Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
You may notice that many retail Photography stores will not sell Olympus point and shoots. There is hardly any mark up and they outperform most of the other brands they make a lot of money on.

I picked up an Olympus Stylus 300, it is small enough to fit in your pocket and was really surprised how good the pictures were.
jeaston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:14 PM
  #85
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Hydrocruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,759
Arrow Re: Digital Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaston
I picked up an Olympus Stylus 300, it is small enough to fit in your pocket and was really surprised how good the pictures were.
Olympus cameras are the most reasonably priced digitals that take crisp clear vivid color pictures and the only thing about them is you have to go to Target to buy them. There is hardly any mark-up on most models up to the $ 300.00 price point. Camera stores can't stay in business selling them.

The ccd and lenses are great; reliability is the best in class and they are easy to use.
Hydrocruiser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:17 PM
  #86
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ketchum OK
Posts: 762
Default Re: Digital Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Olympus cameras are the most reasonable priced that take crisp clear vivid colors and the only thing about them is you have to go to Target to buy them. there is hardly any mark-up on most models up to the $ 300.00 price point.
Got mine off one of the sites I use. Did you have a good day? Benn rainy and cold here.
jeaston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:17 PM
  #87
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member
 
gdfatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Apopka, Florida
My Boats: Sadly, no longer have: Sleekcraft 24'
Posts: 3,016
Default Re: Digital Cameras

Circuit City, Best Buy, Comp USA, B&H, Office Depot all seel Olympus...
gdfatha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:19 AM
  #88
Registered
 
TopSpin80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Richmond/Galveston, Texas
My Boats: Building diesel power wanting a hull
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Digital Cameras

anyone interested in accessories for the FZ cameras should look at this web page

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-10/

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...e-Compare.html

the second link tests a FZ10 with the Canon TL-55 and a few others also... btw the Olympus TCON-17 had the least distortion in my opinion.. now I'm gonna go look at it's price

Ernie
TopSpin80 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:56 AM
  #89
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ketchum OK
Posts: 762
Default Re: Digital Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThing
I have an SLR Canon Rebel EOS 6.3 and I love it.
I only use the Canon auto focus lenses and it takes the best pics.
I am extremely happy with it and it's the best SLR bang for the buck in my opinion.
Nice Bike
jeaston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:46 AM
  #90
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member
 
R Addiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pa.
My Boats: '99 Active Thunder Tantrum
Posts: 20,687
Default Re: Digital Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThing
I have an SLR Canon Rebel EOS 6.3 and I love it.
I only use the Canon auto focus lenses and it takes the best pics.
I am extremely happy with it and it's the best SLR bang for the buck in my opinion.
I also have a new digital Rebel and I love it. I have a quantaray zoom lense from our 35mm Rebel and it works fine. I have alot to learn with photography so jeaston can you suggest any books that I can read for the basics on up?
R Addiction is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
otis311
General Boating Discussion
30
12-24-2003 12:52 PM
BLee
General Boating Discussion
20
09-10-2003 11:18 PM
gdfatha
General Boating Discussion
1
05-29-2003 11:00 AM
GRH
General Boating Discussion
20
10-08-2002 03:00 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.