Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cost Of A New Boat Will Increase (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91592-cost-new-boat-will-increase.html)

DENNYB 12-02-2004 01:40 PM

Cost Of A New Boat Will Increase

It was announced there will be another price increase of resin passed along to the boat builders beginning 2005, let alone parts, other building materials and engine increases which reflects the selling price of a new boat...This is the third resin increase in less than a year alone. If your looking for that brand new boat,I suggest now is the time before the increase is passed on to you...If you continue to wait, its your $$$.

Ed 12-02-2004 02:37 PM

Re: Cost Of A New Boat Will Increase

Resin is sold by the pound. How much did it increase per pound? Ed

bouyhunter 12-02-2004 05:48 PM

This is an uneducated question, but, educate me!!!

What raw materials are used in the make-up of resins for fiberglass??
My job is to manage and make the resins for optical coatings.
I have seen HUGE increases in costs over the past few months from my chemical suppliers (anyone know anything about this and can help me out with prices would make me look like a GOD around work.... :D )
I've seen huge increases in IPA (Isopropol Alchohol), Acetone, Methanol, and MIBK (Methyl Isobutyl Ketone). Since July I've seen increases as much as 30% per Lbs. What's funny about this is that the materials I buy from Tokyo and Europe haven't been affected (YET!).
I can give you a cost breakdown of increases on these items increases tomorrow when I'm at work - it might explain some things.

How much of these chemicals are needed to make resin for, say, a 33' offshore boat???
The majority of the liquid chemicals are used only as solvents, suspension agents for solids during curing, and dispersion agents - to evenly carry solids for strength during curing or the chemical reaction.
I'm sure the increase is related to the increase of the cost in the US of all Organic solvents/materials (Pay at the Pump....).
Any one work for a chemical Co. ?? PM me.
Tim

DENNYB 12-02-2004 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ed
Resin is sold by the pound. How much did it increase per pound? Ed

The Chemical Resin companies that mostly supply the boat builders are Reichold and Ashland.They pass the increases to do business to the builders then to the cost of the boat to a retail dealer and customer.The cost was not revealed.

TopSpin80 12-02-2004 06:21 PM

I read that the eurpeans have already put into place laws not allowing large scale manufactures to use open faced molds.... and that it was coming to america soon

closed molding technology is really expensive and threatens to close down smaller builders

Ernie

Semper Fi 12-02-2004 07:02 PM

Sounds like concrete. Concrete has tripled since 2 yrs ago here in SoCal :mad:

DollaBill 12-03-2004 08:14 AM

I can tell you this -- dealers are going to hurt in '05. Fountain pricing has gone way up and our margins have gone way down. I am sitting in the middle. The manufacturers don't give a crap and there IS a ceiling retail customers hit in the market.

Now, I know many of you have had bad experiences with dealers (and there are/were some very bad ones), but the good ones will have a hard time providing the ever increasing level of service customers desire with their margins shrinking.

It is something that will affect ALL of us.

Roger 1 12-03-2004 08:56 AM

I think that transportation costs have been overlooked here. The increase in fuel costs can be absorbed for only so long before prices must be raised. I`m sure that this isn`t the only reason but one that must be taken into consideration.

Canada Jeff 12-03-2004 09:49 AM

Topspin, cool video's you have there, but whats with the fat chics in bikini's??