Cost Of A New Boat Will Increase >

Cost Of A New Boat Will Increase

Notices

Cost Of A New Boat Will Increase

Old 12-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost Of A New Boat Will Increase

It was announced there will be another price increase of resin passed along to the boat builders beginning 2005, let alone parts, other building materials and engine increases which reflects the selling price of a new boat...This is the third resin increase in less than a year alone. If your looking for that brand new boat,I suggest now is the time before the increase is passed on to you...If you continue to wait, its your $$$.

Last edited by DENNYB; 12-02-2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Cost Of A New Boat Will Increase

Resin is sold by the pound. How much did it increase per pound? Ed
Old 12-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is an uneducated question, but, educate me!!!

What raw materials are used in the make-up of resins for fiberglass??
My job is to manage and make the resins for optical coatings.
I have seen HUGE increases in costs over the past few months from my chemical suppliers (anyone know anything about this and can help me out with prices would make me look like a GOD around work.... )
I've seen huge increases in IPA (Isopropol Alchohol), Acetone, Methanol, and MIBK (Methyl Isobutyl Ketone). Since July I've seen increases as much as 30% per Lbs. What's funny about this is that the materials I buy from Tokyo and Europe haven't been affected (YET!).
I can give you a cost breakdown of increases on these items increases tomorrow when I'm at work - it might explain some things.

How much of these chemicals are needed to make resin for, say, a 33' offshore boat???
The majority of the liquid chemicals are used only as solvents, suspension agents for solids during curing, and dispersion agents - to evenly carry solids for strength during curing or the chemical reaction.
I'm sure the increase is related to the increase of the cost in the US of all Organic solvents/materials (Pay at the Pump....).
Any one work for a chemical Co. ?? PM me.
Tim
Old 12-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ed
Resin is sold by the pound. How much did it increase per pound? Ed
The Chemical Resin companies that mostly supply the boat builders are Reichold and Ashland.They pass the increases to do business to the builders then to the cost of the boat to a retail dealer and customer.The cost was not revealed.

Last edited by DENNYB; 12-02-2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read that the eurpeans have already put into place laws not allowing large scale manufactures to use open faced molds.... and that it was coming to america soon

closed molding technology is really expensive and threatens to close down smaller builders

Ernie
Old 12-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like concrete. Concrete has tripled since 2 yrs ago here in SoCal
Old 12-03-2004, 08:14 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you this -- dealers are going to hurt in '05. Fountain pricing has gone way up and our margins have gone way down. I am sitting in the middle. The manufacturers don't give a crap and there IS a ceiling retail customers hit in the market.

Now, I know many of you have had bad experiences with dealers (and there are/were some very bad ones), but the good ones will have a hard time providing the ever increasing level of service customers desire with their margins shrinking.

It is something that will affect ALL of us.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Registered

I think that transportation costs have been overlooked here. The increase in fuel costs can be absorbed for only so long before prices must be raised. I`m sure that this isn`t the only reason but one that must be taken into consideration.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Registered

Topspin, cool video's you have there, but whats with the fat chics in bikini's??
Old 12-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of our manufacturers/suppliers, after a 4%-6% increase in Sept. for '05 models, has just informed us that there's another 3%-4% increase coming first of the year. This is in direct proportion(they're telling us) to increased materials cost in resin/stainless steel, as well as transportation costs. I do know that it's costing $150.00 more to ship a boat from
So. Fla. to our location, than it did this time last year. I too, feel that It's going to shrink the margins that allow us to do top shelf service and follow-up: the very things that we all do to cultivate good business relationships with our clients. If the dealer has to absorb all the price increases (how much $^ can the public take?), it will be bad for everyone involved. It'll mean lower production at the manufacturing level, less operating capital at the dealership, and ultimately, lower levels of customer satisfaction!
Hugh/Offshore Performance

Quick Reply: Cost Of A New Boat Will Increase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.