Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
GM tech with Duramax experience needed.! >

GM tech with Duramax experience needed.!

Notices

GM tech with Duramax experience needed.!

Old 12-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM tech with Duramax experience needed.!

I need someone who has worked on a Duramax. I'm currently going through some BS on my brand new truck and am considering not accepting it back, and demanding a new replacement truck. Is the rear main seal on the Duramax a 1-piece or 2-piece, and does the pan or rear main cap have to be dropped to replace it?

Thanks for any help.!
Old 12-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Registered

Default Re: GM tech with Duramax experience needed.!

Im a dealer........whats wrong with the truck???
Old 12-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Registered

Drove it 3 hours, and the rear main seal puked on it. As you can imagine, i'm guessing this isn't the easiest thing to replace, and i'm extremely leary of someone without any experience working on it (they've already admitted they've never seen this happen) If it's a 1-piece external seal, that can be replaced without tearing into the motor, i might consider keeping it, but if the pan has to be dropped and a cap (or caps) removed to replace it, i'm punting and having him get me another truck. It's gonna be a nightmare enough from the looks of it. Looks like the torsion bars will have to be dropped to drop the Allison, and lord knows what else. this on a $45K truck with 100 miles on it.! The small town mechanics from where I got it prob can't even spell 'diesel'.......

prob is, it was an ordered truck, with odd options, and there is only 1 other in this area like it, and it's white. My everyday company truck is white, and I was trying to avoid driving the same thing all the time....otherwise I would tell them to keep it.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:40 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gotherdone
Im a dealer........whats wrong with the truck???

do you have any '04, duramax, 4x4, auto, crewcab, LT, black or silver, maybe blue....

cash no trade?

are you a chevy or gmc dealer, would perfer gmc...

Sean
Old 12-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Registered

They dont have a problem with that on duramaxes. Its a one piece seal, should be know problem for a gm tech to fix in 1 day. It probably got torn putting it in. I wouldnt let it stop me from getting truck, if you have anymore problems with it then I would go to chevy about it, but chances are it will be ok...The next new truck could have another problem who knows... As long as the motor is ok youll be fine....
Old 12-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Registered

We are chevy and Gmc but I run the chevy store.....no 04 diesels 05 only in white
Old 12-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Registered

Yeah, i'm not ripping on the dealer here, they have been SUPER apologetic and helpful, and they said they've never seen one fail. When you say 1-piece, do you mean external, that doesn't require a main cap to be removed to be replaced? If that's the case, I will feel better, any competent tech should be able to remove and replace a tranny, and replace an external seal.

in the few miles I drove it, the thing runs beautiful, and waaaaaaaay quicker than I expected, but definately oiled down the back half of the truck. Oil was literally dripping off the frame rails.....thank god it holds 10 quarts....!
Old 12-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Registered

Madmax,

I found a bulletin from chevy on Main Bearing Side Bolt. #pip3011b ask your dealer if he has this. It could be your problem... If so its a easy fix, no big deal.....I say they probably will figure that is your problem....Kevin
Old 12-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Registered

Hey Kevin, how do I view this? I'm very curious.... Thanks for looking that up, you guys are great.

It's leaking severely out the wheephole between the tranny and the engine. When you say main bearing side bolt, it sounds like something that would be on the outside of the engine (one of the cross bolts for the caps). Hopefully i'm wrong, can't wait to read that.!
Old 12-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Registered

It could also be top pipe turbo feed hose fitting #pip3230 There is one other that leak at oil cooler on engine block #02-06-01-023d Your dealer should know all of this....I think your problem may be one of these and not main bearing...main bearing leak is not normal... Give your dealer these numbers... Good luck

Quick Reply: GM tech with Duramax experience needed.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.