Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don Aronow Memorial (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91811-don-aronow-memorial.html)

Edward R. Cozzi 12-05-2004 05:05 PM

Don Aronow Memorial

I was on 188th St. and I think it's an outrage that the city of Aventura has no plaque, statue or any kind of memorial for the late King of Thunderboat Row.

Does anybody know if one is being planned?

Do we need to get a movement started to achieve this?

I need your input.

RumRunner 12-05-2004 05:08 PM

Re: Don Aronow Memorial

I thought there was something being talked about to go in a park in that area?

Ed, were you working at Everglades in '84?

Edward R. Cozzi 12-05-2004 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by RumRunner
I thought there was something being talked about to go in a park in that area?

Ed, were you working at Everglades in '84?

No sir. In 1984 I was working for a brokerage house called "Harbor Island".
My first day at Everglades was January 2, 1987 and I sold a new Formula 357 to a guy in Traverse City, Michigan!

RumRunner 12-05-2004 05:53 PM

Ok...

el indio 12-05-2004 07:00 PM

188 street was a breeding pit for for smugglers and the boats used by them. i would think the city of aventura is happy its over and they are gone.so any plaque is most likely to be on your teeth.just my 2 cents.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-05-2004 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by el indio
188 street was a breeding pit for for smugglers and the boats used by them. i would think the city of aventura is happy its over and they are gone.so any plaque is most likely to be on your teeth.just my 2 cents.

Magnum, Formula, Donzi, Cigarette, Apache, Pantera, Tempest, USA all built boats on this street.

Bobby Moore, Alan Brown, Don Aronow, Bob Saccenti, Pepe and Jo Nunez, John Tomlinson, Rick Conti, Pete Pavkovich...just to mention a few, all sold, rigged, designed or built our type of boat on this historical street.

I believe more good was achieved there than evil and if you go there today there is nothing to commemorate the great accomplishments of the men that made it.

I just had my teeth cleaned, so I shouldn't have any plaque!

el indio 12-05-2004 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Magnum, Formula, Donzi, Cigarette, Apache, Pantera, Tempest, USA all built boats on this street.

Bobby Moore, Alan Brown, Don Aronow, Bob Saccenti, Pepe and Jo Nunez, John Tomlinson, Rick Conti, Pete Pavkovich...just to mention a few, all sold, rigged, designed or built our type of boat on this historical street.

I believe more good was achieved there than evil and if you go there today there is nothing to commemorate the great accomplishments of the men that made it.

I just had my teeth cleaned, so I shouldn't have any plaque!

maybe a sandwich sign on a homeless person funded by oso members.

open87 12-05-2004 07:27 PM

take your 2 cents and spend it elsewhere.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-05-2004 07:29 PM

maybe a sandwich sign on a homeless person funded by oso members.

You seem bitter.

el indio 12-05-2004 07:33 PM

just the facts dude. i was there i was there in the 60s till now how about you.calumet city by any chance?

Edward R. Cozzi 12-05-2004 08:14 PM

No. Chicago and then Elmhurst, Illinois. Ft. Lauderdale since 1979.

Shane 12-05-2004 08:15 PM

If I am not mistaken OSO spent part of it's humble beginnings there as well. If you think that because certain illegal activities took place there and Arronow may or may not have participated in them, that in and of itself that is grounds for no memorial plaque for all the GOOD that took place, then you my friend are an eternal PESSIMIST!

el indio 12-05-2004 08:16 PM

close enough....

Edward R. Cozzi 12-06-2004 08:05 AM

When you turn on to 188th St. Ft. Apache is gone and there is a parking building and condo buildings. Magnum is still there, but it looks like Hi-Lift Marina is using their parking lot to store some of their inventory. There is a median with palm trees, a storage rental building, an elementary school down at the end towards where Tempest was. It's all new and beautiful, but sad in a way. TNT was the last of the hold-outs, but even they are gone to Spinnaker now. The buildings where Craig Barrie and Scott Smith worked for years are going down if not already. The site where Bobby Saccenti designed and built his Apaches...gone. There is nothing to mark or commemorate the great achievements made on this street for so many decades. I found it depressing and I'm not that sentimental of a guy!

rainmn 12-06-2004 08:21 AM

Someone here did start to try and do something about a memorial, but I don't remember who it was, or what happened with it.

el indio 12-06-2004 10:21 AM

cashbrain and spitfire 1 spoke to the town board.they must still be reviewing the memorial.

spitfire1 12-06-2004 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by rainmn
Someone here did start to try and do something about a memorial, but I don't remember who it was, or what happened with it.

That would have been myself, Cashbrain and Bobby......we also enlisted the help of Sean....but to be honest with you.....it seemed like there were more people on this site interested in why Ben Kramer should be freed than those willing to sign a petition to take to the city of Aventura to get the thing off the ground....pretty pathetic....I personally spent a fair amount of time going down to City hall, contacting a few commissioners by phone, as well as talking with Michael Aronow and Jeffrey Rotengen, the author who did books on ChrisCraft..... Bertram ...as well as working with Micheal on his last book....but quickly got disillusioned when we couldnt even come up with more than thirty or so signatures on a petition through several support threads posted here.....and to be honest with you after speaking with Michael about getting the effort started, who was very excited about it I might add...I was embarassed to call him back...He does not post on this site for good reason....and like I said before, I dont blame him........Many of you here will remember the **** storm that ensued with that POS Free Ben Kramer thread....if anyone wants to know where we got with the whole thing....feel free to contact myself or Bobby....or Jack on the other website........Rich

McGary911 12-06-2004 10:44 AM

Found one of the old posts from last January:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=69854

Edward R. Cozzi 12-06-2004 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by McGary911
Found one of the old posts from last January:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=69854

Guys:
I swear I thought of this on my own after seeing what the city of Aventura has done to 188th St. I'm sorry this effort failed before as I certainly would have supported it then too.

Roger 1 12-06-2004 06:55 PM

Well, let`s get the band back together and try it again. It`s certainly something worth the effort.

JnT 12-06-2004 08:18 PM

I have family in the Granite Industry.This is their advise. Etched granite sign with colors by Anne Jenson. I've seen some monuments she has done and they are incredible. Anne Jenson Etching 706-213-9291

Edward R. Cozzi 12-06-2004 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Too Old
I don't really think the initiative lacked the support of the forum.

When the idea got going, there was a bit of a sh*t storm surrounding who was doing what etc as people jumped on what I recall as Spitfires idea.

I think that became a bit of a turn off and probably hurt the effort.

It's a worth while project in my feeble mind. I first visited 188th street in 1969 and then made the pilgrimage periodically over the years. I considered it a pretty magical place. I'll never forget it.

Your heart will be broken when you visit again. Only the street sign is the same.

CAP071 12-06-2004 09:09 PM

You know there is a law, You can petition your local congressman and have any post office named after a special person of that community. Just an Idea :cool:

vonwolske 12-07-2004 12:11 AM

Perhaps someone could set up a petition at the Florida Powerboat Club booth at the Miami Boat Show for people from all over the country/world to sign and then the city council could see the impact the street had on the industry.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-07-2004 08:05 AM

Should somebody contact the Aronow sons to see if they WANT such a memorial before we start the proceedings? Just a thought.

spitfire1 12-07-2004 08:11 AM

Ed....see posts 17 & 18............

Edward R. Cozzi 12-07-2004 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Spitfire1
Ed....see posts 17 & 18............

Just wondered if their thoughts about it had changed for some reason since last January.

McGary911 12-07-2004 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Guys:
I swear I thought of this on my own after seeing what the city of Aventura has done to 188th St. I'm sorry this effort failed before as I certainly would have supported it then too.

Ed, I'm sure you did come up with this after seeing the current state of 188th. I was just trying to give a little insight as to what had been done in the past, before you had registered here. I still think it's a good idea whoever thought of it. Any memorial would be about the history of the place, and not the folks who put it up.

If a petition would help the case, its easy to get one going at http://www.petitiononline.com/ .....they will host it for free, and it is reachable to anyone in the world to sign it. Booths at powerboat themed events would help too.

DollaBill 12-08-2004 07:37 AM

El Indio--

STICK IT. Get lost.

el indio 12-08-2004 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
El Indio--

STICK IT. Get lost.

comming from a redneck clown with a fountain .HA HA .

spitfire1 12-08-2004 09:34 AM

I seem to recall you calling me a redneck once because my avatar was an American flag.......or was that Lucy.....?? Or wait...maybe that was one of the other screen names.....I got confused.... :p

el indio 12-08-2004 09:37 AM

I seem to recall you calling me a redneck once because my avatar was an American flag.......or was that Lucy.....?? Or wait...maybe that was one of the other screen names.....I got confused.... :p

i remember you the oso bro selling the top gun with the tired motors.

spitfire1 12-08-2004 09:41 AM

LOL....yep Mark....that would be me....

el indio 12-08-2004 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)

no never called you a redneck because of American flag,but maybe i called you a BRAVO BUTTT.if the shoe fits.

spitfire1 12-08-2004 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmm.....well ok then....I am glad we got that straightened out.....

el indio 12-08-2004 09:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
one more

spitfire1 12-08-2004 09:51 AM

Thats three more Mark......or was.....

el indio 12-08-2004 09:53 AM

are you going to montys this weekend?

spitfire1 12-08-2004 09:53 AM

Nope....gotta work.....why...are you?

el indio 12-08-2004 09:56 AM

trying to.if you fly over the 41 tip a right wing so ill know its you.