Like Tree0Likes

Finally the originator of the stepped hull is known

Reply
Old 12-08-2004, 02:54 PM
  #1
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member
Thread Starter
 
klaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: McHenry IL /Duck Key FL
My Boats: 1989 Cigarette Bullet cig 20 resto mod
Posts: 2,201
Default Finally the originator of the stepped hull is known

the prototype of the stepped hull?

a pbs show I was watching in Europe was attributing this to the Viking ships high speeds
said it got air under the hull

Like all Viking ships, the longship, was constructed using the clinker design. This means it was planked using two centimetre thick oak boards which were overlapped slightly and then nailed together with iron nails.
klaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:57 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Canada Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario,Canada baby!
My Boats: Sunsation and Apache
Posts: 1,566
Default Re: Finally the originator of the stepped hull is known

I understood the first use was on water planes! The pontoons were steped. Humm.
Canada Jeff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:58 PM
  #3
Registered
 
fund razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
My Boats: Apache 28 Brave
Posts: 8,170
Default Re: Finally the originator of the stepped hull is known

OMG you're right, look:

http://users.wolfcrews.com/toys/vikings
fund razor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:15 PM
  #4
Registered
 
X-Rated30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Monroe, LA
My Boats: 1997/2010 Spectre Catamaran w/ twin 250XS Sports
Posts: 3,882
Default Re: Finally the originator of the stepped hull is known

Quote:
Originally Posted by fund razor
Those look more like lifting strakes to me.
X-Rated30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:23 PM
  #5
Registered
 
MitchStellin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Grand Haven, MI USA
My Boats: Zodiac RIB
Posts: 3,124
Default Re: Finally the originator of the stepped hull is known

This is correct. They used to burn these boats (if they didn't sink) to get the nails back out. They burned homes for the same reason. Nails were like gold in them there days. The sea plane is where the modern idea came to performance boats but air entrapment is an old idea.
MitchStellin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:48 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Reed Jensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Los Angeles California
Posts: 8,301
Default Re: Finally the originator of the stepped hull is known

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchStellin
This is correct. They used to burn these boats (if they didn't sink) to get the nails back out. They burned homes for the same reason. Nails were like gold in them there days. The sea plane is where the modern idea came to performance boats but air entrapment is an old idea.
It wasn't that long ago that nails were still so expensive that most contractors brought their young sons out to the job site, and would have them pull out nails from the demolition jobs. Then they would sit in a circle, straighten, sort for size and box the old nails. I worked with an old general contractor that during the depression he would go to the job site with his father and gather old nails.
Reed Jensen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:57 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Roger 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kankakee Illinois
My Boats: 1993 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 3,702
Default Re: Finally the originator of the stepped hull is known

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaw
the prototype of the stepped hull?

a pbs show I was watching in Europe was attributing this to the Viking ships high speeds
said it got air under the hull

Like all Viking ships, the longship, was constructed using the clinker design. This means it was planked using two centimetre thick oak boards which were overlapped slightly and then nailed together with iron nails.
I saw the same program a while back. Gee, Reggie is older than we thought.
Maybe on his record run instead of working the throttles he was beating a great big drum!
Roger 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:59 PM
  #8
Registered
 
Roger 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kankakee Illinois
My Boats: 1993 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 3,702
Default Re: Finally the originator of the stepped hull is known

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
It wasn't that long ago that nails were still so expensive that most contractors brought their young sons out to the job site, and would have them pull out nails from the demolition jobs. Then they would sit in a circle, straighten, sort for size and box the old nails. I worked with an old general contractor that during the depression he would go to the job site with his father and gather old nails.
Yup!
Roger 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:01 PM
  #9
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mentor , Ohio
Posts: 3,656
Default Re: Finally the originator of the stepped hull is known

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger 1
I saw the same program a while back. Gee, Reggie is older than we thought.
Maybe on his record run instead of working the throttles he was beating a great big drum!
Yeah ... I was gonna say ... "Did this Viking have bad hair and wear a black jogging suit ?"
LEOPAJM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:16 PM
  #10
Registered
 
fund razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
My Boats: Apache 28 Brave
Posts: 8,170
Default Re: Finally the originator of the stepped hull is known

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOPAJM
Yeah ... I was gonna say ... "Did this Viking have bad hair and wear a black jogging suit ?"
Now THAT was funny.
fund razor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
PhantomChaos
General Boating Discussion
24
06-01-2011 09:09 PM
sandcraft
General Boating Discussion
53
03-29-2006 09:31 AM
RJ1340
Fountain
14
09-06-2004 01:15 PM
snopro13
Fountain
6
08-26-2003 10:28 AM
snopro13
Powerquest
8
05-16-2002 03:10 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.