Notices

Lubejobs42 And Doing The Right Thing

Old 12-17-2004, 07:32 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lubejobs42 And Doing The Right Thing

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Thank you Augie. It's freezing down in here today, it's only 68 now and going to reach a bone chilling 73. How is the whether in Jersey???
I hate when you Florida guys do that !!
Old 12-17-2004, 07:35 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, its only 34 here right now... kinda nice
Old 12-17-2004, 07:51 AM
Registered

Hey KS30...

You are right about the board functioning as an informal "jury" already.

But I thought that getting the disputes in their own section made sense. They are bound to happen. We might as well have a forum for them. Then if you feel like looking into these matters, you can. If not... go to another section.

I don't know the background with these two. They have both represented themselves pretty well here from a respect standpoint. I have seen dirtier fights.
They both seem to be trying to move forward.

I have been screwed before. I have also been injustly accused. I once sold a 79 Nova to a guy for 5k. He spent the whole day driving the boat. He loved it. He spent 3 hours crawling all over it with a flashlight. I provided receipts for everything I did to the boat. I was totally honest. Not just because I am honest, but also because I didn't want any crap later. He bought the boat. Then at the first sign of trouble... (He trailered the boat 5 hours with the drive up and when he got home the shift cable needed slight adjustment.) He took the 25 year old boat to the mercruiser dealer. Who of course slammed every non-factory item on the boat.
It seems that the Edelbrock intake was not approved. And the Mallory ignition system wasn't original. And somebody put a better cam in the boat. etc.
The guy freaked out and called me wanting money. I told him to chill and enjoy his 25 year old, 5 thousand dollar boat. I told him he was being crazy. He didn't contact me for two months. Then he sent an apology and a pic of him and the boat in action. It was his first boat and went into like it was a new car purchase or something.

Why do I bring this up? Because the mere suggestion of a third party to a nervous buyer made the buyer question my presentation of the facts.
After he went through the two dozen emails that I had sent him during the negotiations did he realize that I never did or said anything bogus.

I don't know Homan, and I don't know Gino.

But I know that the buyer can get nervous and defensive very easily if a couple of assumptions turn out to be wrong. It is easier to blame the seller than your own lack of research. Now, I am not saying that Homan didn't get screwed. But from the sound of what I have read in this thread, Gino has a more compelling argument. Which is kind of surprising because normally people favor the "victim."

Tell us more Homan.

Regardless of what happened and how this turns out, I appreciate the rather calm attitude of both members.

I still think we outta have a separate section for "arbitration."

I DO NOT think that setting up any kind of formal escrow or tribunal is appropriate, or possible. OSO should NOT be responsible for anything that may or may not be "decided."

Here's the pic of him driving the boat I sold him for 5 grand.
He doesn't look very screwed.
Attached Thumbnails Lubejobs42 And Doing The Right Thing-imgp0422.jpg  
Old 12-17-2004, 09:02 AM
Registered

Im not taking sides here, but here's my story.

A year or so ago there was a member of the board that posted he was looking for a member in my area. He had won an e-bay auction and was buying bolster seats and some other parts from someone half way across the country. Never having met this member we spoke on the phone and I went to inspect the seats for him. I took very detailed pictures of my own and compared the description to what was being sold.
At this point the seller started getting nervous because the funds would be in the form of an out of state check.
Buyer, Seller and Myself all spoke and I agreed to become the mediator. The seller sent the check to me. I went to the Seller's house gave him the check and picked up all the purchased items. I held the purchased items in my garage until the funds cleared in the sellers account and then shipped them to the buyer when I got the ok.
In the end, both party's where very satisfied and I enjoyed helping them both, after all they are boating brethren

This is exactly how I would do it if it were me.
I don’t believe OSO should get involved other than to provide a forum for us to network with members across the country.
If there are members that want to do more, maybe developing a guideline for the mediator. The only concern I had was being caught in the middle if something in the deal were to go sour. On my own I took lots of pictures that were emailed to both party’s as well as over-communicated with both party’s to make sure I covered myself.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fund razor
... I thought that getting the disputes in their own section made sense...
But then no one would see them. How good is a trial with no jury?
Old 12-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I can vouch for Gino as a man of his word. He just bought some very expensive used enignes from me and he was a pleasure to deal with. When I buy anything used I hope for the best and expect the worst. I have also bought and sold on Ebay with mostly good results as well. Sometimes there are real bargains out there and sometimes it is junk.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I can vouch for Gino as a man of his word. He just bought some very expensive used enignes from me and he was a pleasure to deal with. When I buy anything used I hope for the best and expect the worst. I have also bought and sold on Ebay with mostly good results as well. Sometimes there are real bargains out there and sometimes it is junk.

USED??!! I THOUGHT THEY WERE BRAND NEW!!! LOL

Hi Brad, We pulled the pan today on one of the motors. Everything looked like new! As you said, hope for the best and expect the worst! Definetly better then expected! not that i doubted you in any way. The buyer usually has very high expectations. But they are better then I even hoped! The only thing I'm doing is putting on a brand new set of 14-71's Painting the blocks and dropping them in! Thank you again.

Last edited by LubeJobs42; 12-17-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Gino is all this going in your Motion or something new? We have your GPS in our AMT raceboat .
Old 12-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
Here's the pic of him driving the boat I sold him for 5 grand.
He doesn't look very screwed.

I dont know Fund... this one looks a little "used"
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
Gino is all this going in your Motion or something new? We have your GPS in our AMT raceboat .
Hi Ryan, Same boat with EVERYTHING new! Number 6's, a set of 1,050 engines, new interior,completely custom bilge, new airbrush paint work, complete dash etc. You know one of those real good ideas that is sure to hold it's value! And be completley headache free!! HaHa. I should have my head examined. Larry Goldman is doing an incredible job!!

Quick Reply: Lubejobs42 And Doing The Right Thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.