540 konradperformance drive? >

540 konradperformance drive?

Notices

540 konradperformance drive?

Old 12-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 540 konradperformance drive?

Thinking of putting this drive on some of the new 39v's and maybe a 36 cat, Have had very good talks with them, and feel confident they will hold up to 800hp on either. Does anyone have experience with the drive?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 540 konradperformance drive?

We're looking at a set too. My two big concerns are;
1) No West Coast service center. You break it you send it back to WI. I know that with Bravos' that I can get parts on a Saturday if I need them. If the drive is as bomb proof as touted then this is a non-issue, but..... Which leads to number 2.

2) Lack of experience in the performance boat industry. People complain up and down about how fragile a Bravo is but almost everyone has them. What's the failure rate on a Bravo vs that of the Konrad? Lets face it, not everyone is as kind as they should be to their equipment, in fact most people beat pretty hard on their boats. If you put as many Konrads' out there as Bravos' would you hear the same complaints? You can't answer this because there are only a handful of Konrads in use.

I will probably try a set out regardless of my concerns. I know what will happen with Bravo's. How much worse can the Konrad be? Hopefully by next September I'll be smiling as hard as Kurt (Biggus)! If I can run a full season without a failure I'll be very happy.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:32 PM
VIP Member

Lofty-

FRom what Biggus has said and from what I've seen, I don't think you'll beworrying about where to send them when they break. They seem to be very reliable units from Biggus' accounts.

Do a search here to read all the posts about them.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen the insides of these things and all I can say is WOW they look more like # drives to me. HUGE parts all over.

Jon
Old 12-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Konrad has been great to work with. I have 50 hours on mine now behind Chief 540/625s. Konrad designed a new lower and sent them to me. This is the first lowers, the new ones look even better. Call Fred Sparling.
Attached Thumbnails 540 konradperformance drive?-mvc-056f.jpg  
Old 12-25-2004, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Zero, I've been talking to Fred. I'm considering becoming a distributer of these things on the west coast. The best way to sell a product is to test it out yourself so why not try them out on my own boat? That new lower is what's selling them in my mind. I have seen the insides and they do look like #6's. It's a stout looking drive but I'm still skeptical.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Unhappy Re: 540 konradperformance drive?

What gears do Konrads use? I hear all the "upgraded" bravos just use Merc gears, and that is why they never really handle big power. But, if you do brake a Bravo you can be back in business fairly quickly.

If you brake a Konrad, who can fix it? I'm guessing not just any "bravo" place???? Are you out of luck for a few weeks -- month(s)?
Old 01-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Attack
What gears do Konrads use? I hear all the "upgraded" bravos just use Merc gears, and that is why they never really handle big power. But, if you do brake a Bravo you can be back in business fairly quickly.

If you brake a Konrad, who can fix it? I'm guessing not just any "bravo" place???? Are you out of luck for a few weeks -- month(s)?
Biggus just drove back from FL yesterday and did not get in tell very late but I am sure as soon as he wakes up he can better answer your questions. Besides Biggus's boat I know of another that will be running out there this year with HUGE power behind it. My and Biggus's motor builder Timmy Dore will be running 540 blower motors on his Top Gun this year with the Konrads on it. Neither one of these guys really babies their stuff so this should be fairly conclusive. If you take a look at the insides of one of these drives you will quickly understand and be sold on them, I know I am, just can't afford them at this time. I would assume that Konrad is such a stand up company that if you had to ship the drive back that they would fix it in a day or so. From the pictures that I saw from Biggus they are NOT a small fly by night company.

Jon
Old 01-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting to see some info on the new shiftable Bravo replacement. When are they going to announce something?
Old 01-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
I'm waiting to see some info on the new shiftable Bravo replacement. When are they going to announce something?
Ian you do that!!! I want your Thunder wwhen you upgrade