Spy pics of the new Doug Wright 38

Notices

Spy pics of the new Doug Wright 38

Old 01-05-2005, 11:24 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spy pics of the new Doug Wright 38

Thanks for the answer to that question. Greatly appreciated. Do you have any interior pics of either one of those boats???
Old 01-06-2005, 04:55 AM
LOBSTERBOY

Hey Stan

When in the hell are you gona have time to sell boats ???

don't you have chicken to sell !!!

Marc

Old 01-06-2005, 05:21 AM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dpt
No I don't. Both Hulk and Mapei have similar interiors to the Blondie boat which is now Berry Cuda. Next time I'm at Gary's I'll snap a few.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have any infomation anyone may need. Pictures, sizes, spec, tops, bottoms, sides. You can email me directly or call 954-832-0074. cb
Old 01-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Registered

I think it's great to see so much design innovation on these hulls, but I personally prefer the looks of a Tencara or Rage over these designs. Then again, a lot of times these boats look a lot different in person compared to pictures or renderings. Obviously there are a lot of people who will be swayed by performance alone too. If it's deadly fast, obviously he'll sell a lot of boats.

The spray rail on a cambered design also makes me a little nervous and I question whether or not it's really necessary. I know they are two completely different designs and completely different constructions, but after having seen how the Qatar boat came apart right along the spray rail.....

Pics for those of you who haven't seen it.

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga...500&ppuser=265

Or at http://www.class-1.com/ in the Lisbon, Portugal race gallery.

Once I start building my own hulls I'll be able to show everyone how it's supposed to be done.

Last edited by SK-190; 01-06-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:53 AM
Registered

One thing Dale forgot to mention about the airex core , there is 24 sheets total used for the running surface & tunnel top. We vacuum bag two layers of 3/4" core to increase the thickness to stiffen the structures.

SK-190,

The sheer line is above the spray rail (about 18") in the typical location. If the structural engineering is done correctly it will increase the life of the boat also improve the safety aspects.

The chamber in the sides of the boat strengthen the structure as well as improve control in strong cross winds.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered

doug, do you have any links to some tech specs on the airex coring? I'm a little curious about the stuff and would like to read up on it.

Does it absorb moisture if there is damage that exposes the core, or is it pretty much a "closed cell" type of material?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Registered

The Qatar boat came apart at the hull to deck joint, which on those boats is in the middle of the side wall. Most boats have the hull to deck joint/parting line at the top of the side wall at the sheer line. I don't think the tencara/ MPYD boats have a spray rail per se. They just use an different tooling scheme.

Skater uses a lot of balsa. Balsa is cheaper than PVC, Airex, foam, etc. A lot of composite engineers(people who design wings......when they fail...you die) would argue that the foams are superior. I'm not sayin' the Skaters are bad, Peter(at Skater) does good work (look at how small the radius on the lifting strakes are).

The Callan guy(super rich ..400 mil or something like that) has at least one former America's cup composites engineer employeed at his "team". Those guys know a thing or two.

This Doug Write boat looks good.

There's 10 cents......my 2 cents is free.

Last edited by vtec; 01-07-2005 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Still learning to spell
Old 01-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by vtec
The Qatar boat came apart at the hull to deck joint, which on those boats is in the middle of the side wall. Most boats have the hull to deck joint/parting line at the top of the side wall at the sheer line. I don't think the tencara/ MPYD boats have a spary rail per se. They just use an different tooling scheme.
If you look at other pictures of the Qatar boat, you can see where the spray rail is, and it looks a lot like that is where it came apart. I have no idea where the hull/deck joint is on the Qatar hull, but the break definitely looks like it ran right down the spray rail.

On the Class 1 web site it says that the Qatar hull was built by Victory. I have no idea if it is a true MP design or some derivation of the Tencara design.

If you look at all the other newer MP designs; Tencara, Rage, Jaguar, none of them have a spray rail, so I guess I just assumed that the Vicory built hulls were designed by someone else.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Registered

SK-190,

Airex is distributed by Baltek. I'm sure they have a web site.

Vtec,

The engineer that worked with Dave Callan is Mark Bishop from New Zealand. We've worked closely with Mark on a number of projects the Dragon, a mega Yacht, etc. Mark is one the most respected composite engineers in the industry.

When a race boat comes apart, (like the boat from Qatar, that is well financed) it is probably because the engineer pushed the limit on the structural design to shave off as many pounds as possible.

Quick Reply: Spy pics of the new Doug Wright 38

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.