Like Tree0Likes

Key West Race "Sony"

Reply
Old 01-06-2005, 10:03 AM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ketchum OK
Posts: 762
Cool Key West Race "Sony"

Interesting design.
Attached Thumbnails
Key West Race "Sony"-sony-01-11x14small.jpg  
jeaston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:46 AM
  #2
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ketchum OK
Posts: 762
Default Re: Key West Race "Sony"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Mike
Yep, that's Fabio!
Very interesting design, guess it works my list said he was #1.
jeaston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:10 AM
  #3
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member
 
R Addiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pa.
My Boats: '99 Active Thunder Tantrum
Posts: 20,687
Default Re: Key West Race "Sony"

Fabiolous!! I now...that was friggin' stupid!! I'm off today and it is miserable out!!
R Addiction is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:25 AM
  #4
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ketchum OK
Posts: 762
Default Re: Key West Race "Sony"

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Addiction
Fabiolous!! I now...that was friggin' stupid!! I'm off today and it is miserable out!!
Miserable in OK, have to take a hammer out to break a piece of firewood loose.
jeaston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:59 AM
  #5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
CigDaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
Posts: 21,346
Default Re: Key West Race "Sony"

I especially like the "non-lift-generating" anti-stuff plates.
CigDaze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:05 PM
  #6
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ketchum OK
Posts: 762
Default Re: Key West Race "Sony"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cig Daze
I especially like the "non-lift-generating" anti-stuff plates.
I was wondering what those were
jeaston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:41 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 43
Default Re: Key West Race "Sony"

very cool diesel boat....I was talking with the crew chief in the wet pits....
jboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:03 PM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ketchum OK
Posts: 762
Default Re: Key West Race "Sony"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboater
very cool diesel boat....I was talking with the crew chief in the wet pits....
Was wondering what it had, never made it to the pits.
jeaston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:39 AM
  #9
Registered
 
super termoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 647
Default Re: Key West Race "Sony"

hard to believe this is a 10-year old boat. This is the old La Gran Argentina which won two World Championships, I believe it was in 1994 and 95, with Daniel Scioli behind the wheel and Fabio on throttles. Back then, it had a canopy and a two-seater cockpit. Then it was converted to an endurance machine and the current hardtop canopy was added and cockpit configured for four. This is when it broke the Miami-Nassau-Miami record @ 100 mph average speed. Back then, it was powered by four Seatek 10.3 liter twin-turbo diesels which made approx. 1200hp. in race trim and about 1000hp. in endurance runs. Due to changes in rules, it could no longer be raced with four motors so it was repowered with two Isotta Fraschini V12 diesels @ 1300hp. and it won its class in KW this year. It does however show that Fabio pretty much figured out how to make a solid boat if it's still together and competitive after all these years...
Attached Thumbnails
Key West Race "Sony"-sony-55.jpg   Key West Race "Sony"-la-gran-argentina.jpg  
super termoli is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:59 AM
  #10
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ketchum OK
Posts: 762
Default Re: Key West Race "Sony"

Quote:
Originally Posted by super termoli
hard to believe this is a 10-year old boat. This is the old La Gran Argentina which won two World Championships, I believe it was in 1994 and 95, with Daniel Scioli behind the wheel and Fabio on throttles. Back then, it had a canopy and a two-seater cockpit. Then it was converted to an endurance machine and the current hardtop canopy was added and cockpit configured for four. This is when it broke the Miami-Nassau-Miami record @ 100 mph average speed. Back then, it was powered by four Seatek 10.3 liter twin-turbo diesels which made approx. 1200hp. in race trim and about 1000hp. in endurance runs. Due to changes in rules, it could no longer be raced with four motors so it was repowered with two Isotta Fraschini V12 diesels @ 1300hp. and it won its class in KW this year. It does however show that Fabio pretty much figured out how to make a solid boat if it's still together and competitive after all these years...
Thankd, did not know that. It looked pretty good for a hull that old, they are doing something right
jeaston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
AugiePensa
Scarab
5
11-18-2007 06:02 PM
SLINGSHOT
General Boating Discussion
16
01-13-2005 01:06 PM
Cash Bar
General Boating Discussion
16
10-10-2004 12:49 AM
gdfatha
General Boating Discussion
18
02-08-2003 06:58 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.