Originally Posted by R Addiction
Did someone say Apache?
Dude. Your an AZZZZZZZZZZhole. LOL.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:31 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: Newbie Powerboater

I grew up on Bass boats and have to admit they are an absolute blast to drive. My Father's last 3 all ran over 80mph. When I bought my own boat, we tried cruisers but that didn't work out. (too slow) Try to stay in the mid 1990's or newer unless you find a Formula or Cigarette. GET A SURVEY on anything you consider buying. Big blocks will burn 15gph/ ea. at cruising speeds. As said earlier, I would suggest starting out with a 24-27 single engine. Baja makes several models in that range. Welcome, and good luck.
Russ C.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

welcome aboard. look at the 25 and 28 foot checkmates. good bang for the buck.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like a few members boats on here would fit that bill.. I have mine for sale as well as some others. the 24-27 foot range with a single STOCK big block is a good starter boat, a put gas in it and turn the key without many surprises. Then in around a year or so after learning that boat, go up to a twin engined 30+ foot boat..
Old 01-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Lance19

Hi again,

Thanks everyone for responding and the welcoming. My dad read over the posts so far and we now have plenty of ideas. We have the money (combined) to do a mostly cash acquisition, but we'll probably finance some just to reduce the cash outlay. What about insurance on powerboats? Currently we're both using State Farm and just wondering if the addition of a powerboat will drastically increase insurance or are we better off to use a boating insurance agent?

Just wanted to add that we're in Virginia and will be boating on Lake Anna, the Chesapeake Bay, and near the coast (Atlantic).

Thanks again everyone,
Lance

Old 01-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

in that area get a sonic... easy resale of sonics on that area

but baja freshs boat id THE one... trust me it was my first boat and dint lose any thing... buy at 25k+ and what is your down side? at the most 5gs in two years? and thats WORST case... on a 60k boat your 2yr downside could be 10gs... and you WILL be in a new boat in two years.. thats just statstically fact

hope that helps

if anyone thinks im wrong, please speak up
Old 01-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by Lance19
Hi again,

Thanks everyone for responding and the welcoming. My dad read over the posts so far and we now have plenty of ideas. We have the money (combined) to do a mostly cash acquisition, but we'll probably finance some just to reduce the cash outlay. What about insurance on powerboats? Currently we're both using State Farm and just wondering if the addition of a powerboat will drastically increase insurance or are we better off to use a boating insurance agent?

Just wanted to add that we're in Virginia and will be boating on Lake Anna, the Chesapeake Bay, and near the coast (Atlantic).

Thanks again everyone,
Lance
do you want a single or twins?

Old 01-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a policey with State Farm on my boat. 1988 Baja 240 Sport with the 454 mag. Boat is registered and policy is in Pa. Costs me 500 a year for full coverage. Was told by my agent that State Farm did not have a performance premium like some companies have. But look around anyways. Never know what kind of policies are out there.

As far as financing. Contact board member DaveP. He specializes in performance boat financing and can help you out.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

There are plenty of 26' Sonics here in the Mid-Atlantic. I would pick one up with a 454, HP500, or 496HO. You will love the boat. I boat on the Potomac and Lake Anna, and have several friends who live on Lake Anna.

You are about 8 months too late. I sold my 1999 26 Sonic with a HP500EFI this past spring. It was right in your price range too.

Make sure you click on the link below in my signature and come down to the party. Its in Richmond, and you will meet 200 of your fellow enthusiasts.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome new oso brother in the 50k price range ya could never but never go wrong with a cigarette number one choice. but the only cig ya can findin the range would be either a 28 or 31 but they would be old . but my choice in that range nothing better then pantera 28 , also a powerplay 28 . just my old002 whatever ya get we are to help once again welcome

donz jr

Quick Reply: Newbie Powerboater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.