Notices

The new speed record?

Old 01-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The new speed record?

After watching the video of Reggie's speed run, I can't help but think that this contest is no longer about hull design. Sure, Reggie's pad keel and notch transom might have had an impact on the run, but the rest of the design that they've spent so much money and time on wasn't even touching the water. Aerodynamics obviously come into play, but if I was going to give the majority of the credit to anyone for the record run, I would give it to the engine builder and the rigging team. That boat had to be set up perfectly to make a pass like that.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:03 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been on the "river" many times and never noticed a current. I don't think it could have affected the run. The speeds are getting wild.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:14 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJD
Just curious...
The Pamlico is a river. Anyone know if there is any substantial current running down the river? That might explain how one of his record passes was higher than the other
that is the reason for a two way average to negate wind, current, etc....
Old 01-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
I have been on the "river" many times and never noticed a current. I don't think it could have affected the run. The speeds are getting wild.

Same here , No Current
Old 01-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reggie said that he was running negative trim to keep the bow down enough so it wouldn't blow over. They are so close to the edge, I pray this doesn't end in tragedy.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SK-190
After watching the video of Reggie's speed run, I can't help but think that this contest is no longer about hull design. Sure, Reggie's pad keel and notch transom might have had an impact on the run, but the rest of the design that they've spent so much money and time on wasn't even touching the water. Aerodynamics obviously come into play, but if I was going to give the majority of the credit to anyone for the record run, I would give it to the engine builder and the rigging team. That boat had to be set up perfectly to make a pass like that.

I say give credit to THE MAN with balls enough to drive it that fast.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

If these racer friends of mine can drive these 20' v-bottom Allisons at 120 mph I think Reggie can drive his big boy real fast.
Attached Thumbnails The new speed record?-allison.jpg   The new speed record?-allison2.jpg  
Old 01-18-2005, 02:53 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

reggie doesn't drive it anyway, he throttles it...... if that thing starts to walk on him he is just along for the ride anyway...
Old 01-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by tiufb
Reggie said that he was running negative trim to keep the bow down enough so it wouldn't blow over. They are so close to the edge, I pray this doesn't end in tragedy.

you can see that in pic 2.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: The new speed record?

Hydroplanes flip at those speeds and higher and the drivers live to tell these days. That boat is built for the worse case scenerio. Bottom hatch; cage; canopy; oxygen etc. Reggie is no fool and knows his limitations pretty darned good I would say.

If all Reggie did was use a little negative trim to keep it steady at near 200 mph...so what who wouldn't at those speeds.

That boat with those engines can hit 190 mph. Trust me...I predicted 180 mph and I got the usual lamb-basting. How do I know?? I travel to the Carolina's a lot on business.

Quick Reply: The new speed record?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.