Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Insurance Company Suggestions for new boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/94683-insurance-company-suggestions-new-boat.html)

nacoma 01-18-2005 06:34 PM

Insurance Company Suggestions for new boat?

Time for me to delurk on the board. We just finalized the purchase of a 2000 Cigarette Tiger and need to get reasonable insurance on it. We tried to go through United Marine Underwriters and they told us that they would not insure a supercharged boat. Who do you guys recommend for insurance that isn't sky high? Thanks in advance for the help.

Von Bongo 01-18-2005 06:43 PM

Re: Insurance Company Suggestions for new boat?

SY at total $

H2Xmark 01-18-2005 06:45 PM

sounds like you have one awesome boat, I just bought a 35 lightning[sold the baja] and after pricing several agents I came across Trafalgar marine insurance services out of Irvine CA, they are writing me a binder[markel ins] that saved me some money. Call Diana Carrillo at 1800 2213884,

Sean H 01-18-2005 06:46 PM

total dollar, sy...... don't waste your time anywhere else

Vyper340 01-18-2005 06:47 PM

Check with Bob at Worldwide. He's on OSO and runs the Smoke on the Water Poker Run.

BLACKBUCA 01-18-2005 06:51 PM

Sy aka Super at Total Dollar is the one to call :evilb: :D :drink: :evilb: :D :drink:

Drew

CMG 01-18-2005 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by H2Xmark
sounds like you have one awesome boat, I just bought a 35 lightning[sold the baja] and after pricing several agents I came across Trafalgar marine insurance services out of Irvine CA, they are writing me a binder[markel ins] that saved me some money. Call Diana Carrillo at 1800 2213884,

Keep us posted - have heard a LOT of agents claim they can do it and most fall thru.

Hydrocruiser 01-18-2005 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKBUCA
Sy aka Super at Total Dollar is the one to call :evilb: :D :drink: :evilb: :D :drink:

Drew

SY will even insure a cat with big power they say.

otis311 01-18-2005 07:56 PM

I also have used Sy at Total Dollar for my 2000 Tiger. He has helped me out tremendously in the past. And is very competitive. $3800.00 for the year as long as it is under a 100mph

44MTI 01-18-2005 07:57 PM

Bob at World Wide.Great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable.

pm203 01-18-2005 08:15 PM

Try Buzz at PMA.Knowledgeable,courteous,efficient,and usually the lowest price.954-583-5558.

pasunbum 01-18-2005 09:56 PM

have a year old 04 tg cigarette looked all over and bob at worldwide was the best. just renewed, no layup time. i have not tested him with a claim butt very happy so far!

nacoma 01-19-2005 10:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions....i'll be calling around today to get some quotes....never thought that marine insurance companies would run away from s/c engines....live and learn. As soon as I upgrade my membership here on OSO I'll drop in a few pics off the new boat.

Summer Heat 01-19-2005 10:43 AM

Nacoma, welcome to the board.....Great group with unlimited knowledge

Dito on Sy,

Dean Ferry 01-19-2005 11:11 AM

Nacoma,
I'll second on Bob @ Worldwide Marine. He is very good.
Welcome to the board and can't wait to see pics of your boat.
MD

Chris288 01-19-2005 11:47 AM

Sy would't insure an 05 sunsation w/ h.O. boat owner for 15 years, boat operator for 25, h.p. boat owner for 3 years at the time. both wife and I have boating certificates. wife was boat owner for 3 years before we met. one prior claim in 15 years.

Bob and several others wated upwards of 1,700-2,500 we went with state farm for 550.00

although I doubt state farm would take that boat..

bcschoe 01-19-2005 12:01 PM

I went with Lenny at AMI www.Yachtquote.com or 1-866-805-3691

Great service and what I think is a great rate.

Sean H 01-19-2005 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chris288
Sy would't insure an 05 sunsation w/ h.O. boat owner for 15 years, boat operator for 25, h.p. boat owner for 3 years at the time. both wife and I have boating certificates. wife was boat owner for 3 years before we met. one prior claim in 15 years.

Bob and several others wated upwards of 1,700-2,500 we went with state farm for 550.00

state farm is known for taking boats that they have no idea what it is.... beware.

They wouldn't touch my 100+ spectre.... :D :D :D

tinydancer 01-19-2005 01:00 PM

Sean-
State Farm took my Concept and then tried to cancel the policy. After a few phone calls the policy was re-accepted by the underwriters. Is this something I should be concerned about if I have a future claim??

bajabob38 01-19-2005 01:07 PM

Give old man Sy a call @ total dollar, Just don't tell him I sent you :D Also good luck with the boat and welcome to OSO :drink:

baja27 01-19-2005 01:31 PM

Does anyone have Bob's # at worldwide
Thanks

OldSchool 01-19-2005 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by baja27
Does anyone have Bob's # at worldwide
Thanks

1-800-339-1235

Bob and Sy are the only two out there worth messing with. Beware of getting Marine insurance from a car insurance place. It's all good until you need to make a claim!!!

Sy's # is 888-226-2846

Sean H 01-19-2005 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by tinydancer
Sean-
State Farm took my Concept and then tried to cancel the policy. After a few phone calls the policy was re-accepted by the underwriters. Is this something I should be concerned about if I have a future claim??

they took my boat, gave me a binder, i gave them my money and all was well for a about 2 days until i got a call from the underwriter... my agent is a good family friend and he has insured everything i have ever done or owned and we thought nothing about adding the cat to the list... he dug into it a little and found out that they have had some problems with boats that weren't insured correclty and some disputes come claim time.... i went to total dollar and then had my state farm agent go over my new contract.

i have never had a problem, but it sounds like others have, and i think there is a thread or two on here about state farm or another carrier with the same story...

always becareful when you get a "good" deal on insurance, it might not be worth the paper it is written on if you can't get your claim paid....

masher44 01-19-2005 01:48 PM

State Farm wrote my 03 29 Fever 525efi, then cancelled it. They wont touch a 502 or bigger motor. Be very careful with them.

Chris288 01-19-2005 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by masher44
State Farm wrote my 03 29 Fever 525efi, then cancelled it. They wont touch a 502 or bigger motor. Be very careful with them.

Guess it's a good thing I got it with a 496 H.O. :D it's only 10 hp more than a 502...

Harper220 01-19-2005 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chris288

Wow! It pays to shop around... I use ACE (Inamar) for my 2001 28 Daytona with 496 ho's. $783 annual... I can't imagine paying 2k, 3k, or 4k a year for boat insurance. Insurance is nothing but a big racket!!

Scott 01-19-2005 06:13 PM

Just switched from Total Dollar to World Wide.
$1000.00 Dollars less for the exact same coverage and have no layup or navigational restrictions like the one Sy had.

I also found out that my policy had been written for non Tidal waters and excluded the Great Lakes, this is where I boat :eek:

Is this Sy's fault :confused: or should of I read the policy closer? All I know is I feel lucky I never had a claim and feel good about saving $1000.00 a year with a better policy.

For me Bob at Worldwide is a no brainer :drink:

Sean H 01-19-2005 06:18 PM

it always pays to read a policy that is backing $100's of thousands of dollars.....

pasunbum 01-19-2005 08:10 PM

worldwide has me for twelve months useage and off shore up to 50 miles, i just reviewed and renewed my policy with them. like others say, beware and review what you think you are getting. make sure if you have someone else transport your boat that they have cargo insurance. my policy will not cover me if somone is transporting my boat for me. they may have a policy to cover them, butt make sure they have cargo insurance as to atleast the value of your boat.. that is what i was just told....

WetKitty42 01-19-2005 08:13 PM

Sy is the Man

PUT ME WITH A GREAT COMPANY PAID A HUGH CLAIM IN LESS THAN 3 WEEKS

Mentalpause 01-19-2005 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Harper220
Wow! It pays to shop around... I use ACE (Inamar) for my 2001 28 Daytona with 496 ho's. $783 annual... I can't imagine paying 2k, 3k, or 4k a year for boat insurance. Insurance is nothing but a big racket!!

Define racket - you pay that 783 annually for a few years and have a total loss and get payed 100K. Hopefully it won't happen, but when it does you will be glad you participated in that racket. Or worse yet you accidently hit someone and cause damage and injury. Who pays? You are protecting your assets, future and family.

Everyone has choices. Pay cash and don't insure - also hope you don't ever cause damage or injury to someone else. If you do, you will be working for them for a long time.

Seems to me you are getting a pretty fair deal.

rbtnt 01-19-2005 09:44 PM

I'm with World Wide on my 28 Daytona. Give Bob a call.

State Farm had it the first year when I had 330 stock engines.

Harper220 01-19-2005 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Define racket - you pay that 783 annually for a few years and have a total loss and get payed 100K. Hopefully it won't happen, but when it does you will be glad you participated in that racket. Or worse yet you accidently hit someone and cause damage and injury. Who pays? You are protecting your assets, future and family.

Everyone has choices. Pay cash and don't insure - also hope you don't ever cause damage or injury to someone else. If you do, you will be working for them for a long time.

Seems to me you are getting a pretty fair deal.

I'm not complaining about my boat insurance, $783 seems very reasonable compared to the guys that pay 2k, 3k, 4k or more a year on a $100k to $300k boat.

I'm just generalizing about insurance as a whole. You can't actually tell me that you've always been perfectly happy with your insurance as far as the cost to insure and increasing rates. If you've ever had a claim, were you always happy with the outcome?

My house, truck, business, unemployment and health ins. adds up quickly and keep going up drastically with no sizable claims in years, but late premium by one day= cancellation of coverage or SOL. Pay premium on time= sorry we can't cover your claim for some goofy reason and you're still SOL. Insurance companies demand very gutsy premiums, but when it comes time to pay, they want to pay out the least amount possible if not pay anything at all.

Sorry for venting, I just get a little worked up over insurance. It's not a fair game...

apache21 01-19-2005 11:54 PM

I think Insurance $$$ is what's hurting the cat Market. I was talking with a friend the other day and told him I would be better off and further ahead If I paided him $1,000 a day just to ride in his boat to get the thrill of the speed.

JC 01-20-2005 08:57 AM

Bob at world wide wrote mine, good guy...

otis311 01-20-2005 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by craig223
1-800-339-1235

Bob and Sy are the only two out there worth messing with. Beware of getting Marine insurance from a car insurance place. It's all good until you need to make a claim!!!

Sy's # is 888-226-2846

Not true my friend !!

Buzz at PMA is also very much capable of writing a good policy at a great rate. He knows High performance boats and what he is writing. He and Sy both use Ace.

Steamin Rice 01-20-2005 10:37 AM

I just had a new boat insured with Sy.. Previous boat was with State Farm but they wouldn't touch the new one..

OldSchool 01-20-2005 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by otis311
Not true my friend !!

Buzz at PMA is also very much capable of writing a good policy at a great rate. He knows High performance boats and what he is writing. He and Sy both use Ace.

My bad!!! Never heard of Buzz, but I'll take your word for it. By the way, Your Harley at OSO HQ runs great!!! :p :D :drink: :evilb:

Mentalpause 01-20-2005 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Harper220
I'm not complaining about my boat insurance, $783 seems very reasonable compared to the guys that pay 2k, 3k, 4k or more a year on a $100k to $300k boat.

I'm just generalizing about insurance as a whole. You can't actually tell me that you've always been perfectly happy with your insurance as far as the cost to insure and increasing rates. If you've ever had a claim, were you always happy with the outcome?

My house, truck, business, unemployment and health ins. adds up quickly and keep going up drastically with no sizable claims in years, but late premium by one day= cancellation of coverage or SOL. Pay premium on time= sorry we can't cover your claim for some goofy reason and you're still SOL. Insurance companies demand very gutsy premiums, but when it comes time to pay, they want to pay out the least amount possible if not pay anything at all.

Sorry for venting, I just get a little worked up over insurance. It's not a fair game...

I agree the rates are hard to stomach at times. And some companies are obviously more efficient than others, and have more competitive rates. But I'm not sure all rating issues fall at the feet of the insurance companies. Rates have many factors, and fraud and litigation are two that have a big impact. Litigation is impacted by local state laws. Plus all states have insurance commissioners that in some cases, have to approve those rates. Ask a trial attorney why they pick certain places to try class action suits (southern Illinois being one). They do it because the jurys in those places like to give out huge awards. And then we all get to pay higher premiums because somebody got a verdict for 100 million.

Now claims service is another story, and I agree with you that is at the feet of the insurance company. Beware of small print in the policy of things which are not covered. And if you just get bad service, that tells you something about the company you are with.

Another impact on your boat insurance is where you boat and how you use it. My rates went down significantly when I put my boat on LOTO, nice deep lake with nothing but lots of other boats to run into. When I boated the rivers and shallow lakes in Illinois my rates were almost 50% higher. Much more likely to hit a log, or bottom out somewhere.

LostinBoston 01-20-2005 12:12 PM

Call SY at total dollar. Also, taking Tres Martins course will also probably drop your rates and teach you to handle your boat correctly so hopefulyl you never have an insurance claim. He will also teach you everything about a stepped hull and cat (handling, dynamics, maintence, etc.) Definetly a neccesity even if youve been boating for years.