Notices

Towing Laws

Old 01-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Towing Laws

Commercial trucks can be used for private use also.The registration and licensing can have some hurdles tho.Creative paperwork is a plus. This rig is personally owned and was used to drag my boat around. Truck & trailer is 4" shy of 100' long.It requires a CDL license and permits. Safety is #1 in my book.I refuse to let the trailer tell the truck where its going or when its going to come to a complete stop.
Attached Thumbnails Towing Laws-pete-trailer-002.jpg   Towing Laws-pete-trailer-009.jpg   Towing Laws-pete-trailer-011.jpg  

Old 01-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Registered

My 2000 Ford F-350 has a max towing capacity of 12,500 lbs on the hitch. That means the truck is rated to pull a trailer and cargo weighing a max of 12,500. A gooseneck or fifth-wheel hookup may be rated higher.
The state is the least of your worries if you have an accident as your insurance company will not pay a claim on the vehicle if the gross towing capacity is exceeded, and the boat insurance will not pay either.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Registered

I know, I live one the water and the boat stays on the lift 99% of the time and I am in the market for a big truck, but I have pulled it about 1500 miles without a problem. It is not fun you are just kinda along for the ride when it come's to any panic stops or any other non normal moves.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse
My 2000 Ford F-350 has a max towing capacity of 12,500 lbs on the hitch. That means the truck is rated to pull a trailer and cargo weighing a max of 12,500. A gooseneck or fifth-wheel hookup may be rated higher.
The state is the least of your worries if you have an accident as your insurance company will not pay a claim on the vehicle if the gross towing capacity is exceeded, and the boat insurance will not pay either.
CH: Your hitch may be rated for 12,500lbs, but I think all 2000 model superduties were rated for 10,000lb trailers from the factory, but only with WD bars; 5000 without them. If fear that the insurance company is going to wiggle out of a claim is your primary concern, changing up to a Titan hitch won't satisfy them. Will your truck safely pull your flatdeck? You betcha! Is your flatdeck on a trailer only 12,500lbs? Not likely.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Registered

Its best to follow laws which are enforced by the state you live in. I dont think the federal DOT includes bigger trucks and boat trailers as a commerical motor vehicles, as long as the truck is only used for that purpose, so im not sure if they all require a CDL.(again thats federal). You can research more if you need @ http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rulesregs/fmcsrhome.htm
Old 01-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Registered

Well that explains alot of stuff , youre laws are certainly more generous in the towing area's. When you compare them to ours.

In the small land we have small things like roads. To match we are allowed a total of 7.5 tons Gross train weight on a car license and the trailer should not exceed the tow vehicle weight. Once you're trailer and boat exceed 3.75 tons you've blown it, that and the car will be 7.5 tons plus. The police dont bother with checking the brakes etc, if they think you will fail at the weighbridge then they go straight for that.

30' power boats that are trailered are rare over here. So legal trailers are not an off the shelf commodity.

Also over 3.5 tons gross trailer weight the brakes cant be hitch operated.

In 3 words YET MORE MONEY
Old 01-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Registered

Chart, my dually is rated at 12,500. I forget to mention the DRW. And no, without the class 5 hitch it's not legal with my boat behind it. That's why I have the class 5.
One of the local superboat teams has a toter home on a Kenworth chassis and as such a CDL is not required. The Kenworth is licensed as a motor home.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L
Safety is #1 in my book.I refuse to let the trailer tell the truck where its going or when its going to come to a complete stop.
I agree 100%. We decided to go to a medium duty truck this past summer from an F-450. The F-450 handled the Gladiator really well, but we needed something a little bigger to handle this Apache safely. I don't know the length of the whole rig, but the trailer is 54' long and with the boat it weighs around 21,000 pounds. Towing that kind of weight with a pickup is just not a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails Towing Laws-3.jpg   Towing Laws-4.jpg   Towing Laws-5.jpg  

Old 01-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Registered

my mentor.......
Old 01-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Registered

my rig..
Attached Thumbnails Towing Laws-572s-good-pic-160.jpg  

Quick Reply: Towing Laws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.