Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any machinist wanting to move to Florida >

Any machinist wanting to move to Florida

Notices

Any machinist wanting to move to Florida

Old 01-25-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any machinist wanting to move to Florida

Talked to Steve Schmidt last yearabout one of his ex employees moving to my town, he told me that some of his 15 year vetrans were making 15 to 18 an hour and they are right there in Indy
Old 01-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,

Not to jump on your thread, Kick me to the curb if ya want. My company in West Palm Beach also has openings for CNC Lathe operators(Star, Miyano, and Citizen), and also Q.C. Inspectors, must be experienced, we work 3 shifts 24 hours a day 5-6 days per week, and pay is similar.

Rick
Old 01-26-2005, 05:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a Machinist used to be, for lack of a better term, respectable.
Now a days it's just another low paying blue collar job. When I came to Florida I found the definition of "machinist" was different than up north. Most of the "machinists" I worked with were more machine operators. I was taught how to run all the machines and to be proficient at each one. I could take a job and produce it from start to finish. I didn't just stand in front of a machine swapping parts in a vice all day.

My dad owned two large tool and die shops for close to 50 years. I grew up around all the machinery. The smell of a machine shop is like "going home". The guys who worked for dad were treated like family. I called several of the guys "Uncle". When I was 5 dad gave me a Gerstner leather covered tool box with various measuring instruments in it. I still have it and all the tools today. He used to bring home old "blue prints" for me to play with.
When I started in the business I worked for dad. First position was with the inspector who was charged with teaching me how to handle and read all the measuring instruments. He taught me how to inspect the parts before he put me on a machine. Until then I never knew that measurements could be taken down to .00001".
I did go through the Machinist Apprenticeship Course. Dad retired and sold the business before I could finish my apprenticeship. I had less than one year out of the four to finish. His company also sent me to welding school. Came out a state certified pipe welder. Since then I also went to electronics school.
What do I do now? Besides the specialized product testing I work in our Inspection department. Been an inspector for 12 of my 17 years here. Experienced with all inspection equipment including our CMM. With a background in mechanics, machining, welding, and electronics I am well suited to the position. I also run the companies Calibration Lab, among other things.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kevinr
upper machinists down here make 15.00 hour, but cost of living is different

Wow cost of living must be really low...our top shop rate is just over $22.00 per hour.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Iggy
Being a Machinist used to be, for lack of a better term, respectable.
Now a days it's just another low paying blue collar job. When I came to Florida I found the definition of "machinist" was different than up north. Most of the "machinists" I worked with were more machine operators. I was taught how to run all the machines and to be proficient at each one. I could take a job and produce it from start to finish. I didn't just stand in front of a machine swapping parts in a vice all day.

My dad owned two large tool and die shops for close to 50 years. I grew up around all the machinery. The smell of a machine shop is like "going home". The guys who worked for dad were treated like family. I called several of the guys "Uncle". When I was 5 dad gave me a Gerstner leather covered tool box with various measuring instruments in it. I still have it and all the tools today. He used to bring home old "blue prints" for me to play with.
When I started in the business I worked for dad. First position was with the inspector who was charged with teaching me how to handle and read all the measuring instruments. He taught me how to inspect the parts before he put me on a machine. Until then I never knew that measurements could be taken down to .00001".
I did go through the Machinist Apprenticeship Course. Dad retired and sold the business before I could finish my apprenticeship. I had less than one year out of the four to finish. His company also sent me to welding school. Came out a state certified pipe welder. Since then I also went to electronics school.
What do I do now? Besides the specialized product testing I work in our Inspection department. Been an inspector for 12 of my 17 years here. Experienced with all inspection equipment including our CMM. With a background in mechanics, machining, welding, and electronics I am well suited to the position. I also run the companies Calibration Lab, among other things.
sounds like you would be a good canidate for General Dynamics
Old 01-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Registered

I have CNC experience but have never machined engines. Only head porting for me.

Roby
Old 01-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
sounds about par for a machinist, not a tool and die maker though. But you ain't wanting to build dies.
Triple that hourly rate...and you got your self a tool maker/cnc machinist.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kevinr
upper machinists down here make 15.00 hour, but cost of living is different
After federal & state taxes you're looking at about 10.00
Old 01-26-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Back4More
Triple that hourly rate...and you got your self a tool maker/cnc machinist.
Dont need a cnc operator, need engine machinist and engine builder mainly. But thats good money your making back
Old 01-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad Gen. Dynam. isn't in central Florida or I'd look into working for them.
I did work for Martin Marietta (Lockheed Martin) for a "short" time.....all of two months then they layed me off.

The company I work for now, 17 years this March, is a competitor, partner, and subcontractor, to Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics. We also do work for Boeing, McDonnell Douglas (Boeing), Rafael, and all the branches of service.

Quick Reply: Any machinist wanting to move to Florida

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.