Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Coast Guard Guys On OSO?

Sure is something has to get me away from lurkin on OSO
Old 01-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I just thought of something I forgot about. Last summer I was running down the Fort Lauderdale coastline about 1/4 to 1/2 mile off the beach cruising about 90 mph. Far enough that the people blended on the beach were a colored blur. I went south 10 miles then turned around and went back north. When I got almost to where I started I had a Coast guard helicopter was 10 feet above me pointing something like an AK47 at me and screaming on the PA. I immediately stopped. A minute later a small rubber coast guard boat with 4 guys pulled up pointing pistols and assault rifles. I asked what I did. After getting screamed at an belittled for 5 minutes with my hands behind my head they said I went by a diver with within I think they said 100 feet. I said never saw him. Apparently he had one of those little tiny flags with no boat, inner tube, raft or brains 1/4 mile off the beach. With the 1 to 2 foot chop, I couldn't see the flag (they usually have a little piece of foam around the base and they lay over in the water). Apparently, you can swim out in the ocean from the beach as far as you want, with nothing but a 12" flag and if a boater dosen't see you the boater gets fined. (That make sense!!???) They said they tried to pull me over on the way south and a ran from them. I told them I never saw them and if I did see them and ran, why would I come back the same way (DUH!) They searched my boat for over an hour, removing screwed on panels looking for the kilos I was smuggling from North Fort Lauderdale to South Fort Lauderdale. After they didn't find anything, they gave me a $250 ticket for reckless operation and this is the best, they gave me a ticket for NOT HAVING A BELL!! Can you imagine having a bell on a performance boat. You would go nuts from the dinging. It's good to know the coastline of Fort Lauderdale is a safer place!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
I just thought of something I forgot about. Last summer I was running down the Fort Lauderdale coastline about 1/4 to 1/2 mile off the beach cruising about 90 mph. Far enough that the people blended on the beach were a colored blur. I went south 10 miles then turned around and went back north. When I got almost to where I started I had a Coast guard helicopter was 10 feet above me pointing something like an AK47 at me and screaming on the PA. I immediately stopped. A minute later a small rubber coast guard boat with 4 guys pulled up pointing pistols and assault rifles. I asked what I did. After getting screamed at an belittled for 5 minutes with my hands behind my head they said I went by a diver with within I think they said 100 feet. I said never saw him. Apparently he had one of those little tiny flags with no boat, inner tube, raft or brains 1/4 mile off the beach. With the 1 to 2 foot chop, I couldn't see the flag (they usually have a little piece of foam around the base and they lay over in the water). Apparently, you can swim out in the ocean from the beach as far as you want, with nothing but a 12" flag and if a boater dosen't see you the boater gets fined. (That make sense!!???) They said they tried to pull me over on the way south and a ran from them. I told them I never saw them and if I did see them and ran, why would I come back the same way (DUH!) They searched my boat for over an hour, removing screwed on panels looking for the kilos I was smuggling from North Fort Lauderdale to South Fort Lauderdale. After they didn't find anything, they gave me a $250 ticket for reckless operation and this is the best, they gave me a ticket for NOT HAVING A BELL!! Can you imagine having a bell on a performance boat. You would go nuts from the dinging. It's good to know the coastline of Fort Lauderdale is a safer place!!!
Well,at lleast i'm not the only one who can't stand the coastguard harrasment!!
Old 01-26-2005, 04:11 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, the bell thing is for real, but I understand an air horn is acceptable. It has been for me!
I got boarded late last summer up here on the St. Lawrence. It is an international border as many of you know. They had been following me for six or so miles before they blew the big air horn thingy and got my attention. At first they were a little too serious, but did allow me time (after following instruction to shut down my engines) to put out fenders, and waited to board while I put walking towels on the sunpad and backseat. I, at that point, thanked the one who was boarding for the courtesy. It was all smooth from there out, as I pointed out all holds and spaces and showed my safety gear, paperwork ect. along with our I.D.'s and I-68's. Which for those who don't know, is an up front background and identity check for boater's who often go to Canada and return by boat. It is an identity document with a thumbprint and mugshot issued by U.S. customs. It's a 30-40 min. process at a customs station and $16. It has to be renewed every Jan 1st. It allows you to check back into the country from a cell phone upon arrival instead of reporting in person or going to one of those quaint videophones (that often don't work). You still have to be on the phone for 15 mins, but at least it's at a dock of your choice, and you don't get boarded!
The only caveat is that if anyone on your boat does not have an I-68...you ALL have to report in person! Including those who do hold I-68's!
In the end analysis of my boarding they were professional and showed my 6 figure boat some respect.
Though I do have strong suspicions of them being more interested in my powerboat, and my tall busty blond GF than my potential terrorist activities!
I got a boarding/inspection report and don't expect to get boarded again anytime soon by anyone of those gentelmen...but you never know!
Old 01-26-2005, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rippem, if your going to post something like that then we need to see pictures of the blond preferably in the uncensored section
Old 01-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

She's in there.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:50 AM
Registered

If your going reserves, be sure to get into a rate that actually does something. I put in 5 years active, Electronics Technician. When I went reserves, regulars didn't want us messing with any of their electronics, so we were given busy work. Could only put up with that for so long. Now, the guys that run the boats, SAR, etc, they were out there doing the real deal! This was in Cape May unit. As for active duty CG, best years of my life!!! Reason I got out was to pursue college education. Good Luck!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 09:00 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
LubeJobs,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately many of our operators do not know enough about boats to be able to determine real threats.

If you or anyone else encounters similar circumstances my recommendations are to be quite and go with it until Monday morning. Your boat is NOT required to have a bell. (less than 12 meters or 39.4ft) You are required to have some efficient means of producing sounds or whistle in accordance with the rules. The reckless operation cite has to be clearly demonstrated. The back of the CG4100 (Coast Guard Boarding form) has the appeal process outlined. After receiving the initial letter from the hearing officer use the appeal process and articulate your side of the story. The intent of the recreational boating safety law is education not citation.
I would also recommend contacting the Commanding Officer if you felt the boarding team was unprofessional or used tactics inappropriate for the situation.

Good Luck and do not hesitate to voice your thoughts through the chain of command. Everyone has a boss.

Brad
Old 01-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 583 Likes on 240 Posts

I know where your coming from on that dive thing.I used to run parasail boats off naples and would come across these dumbasses out swimming 2000 feet off shore ,and when i would get a chance i would stop and explain that their heads looked like the 10,000 crab trap buoys out there that i would occasionally run over. I would tell them i barely saw them and i was looking and only traveling at 15mph ,not like the other 80 year old blind boaters we have out here.They would just say they had the right to be out there and they would sue if i hit them.It was so busy and dangerous one day a guy was out there that i flagged down the sheriff for the guys safety.You know what the sheriff said? The guy has just as much right to swim out there as boats had the right,and if i hit him i would be totally at fault .I was shocked that the sheriff didn't use any common sense. and these guys aren't diving with flags ,just swimming so they don't need one.

And don't even get me started on Coast Guard harassment that I have dealt with in my 28 years of safe boating.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rippem
She's in there.

ok it took me some time but i verified your story you can't blame them can you

Quick Reply: Coast Guard Guys On OSO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.