OT-Let's talk about....diamonds

Notices

OT-Let's talk about....diamonds

Old 01-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT-Let's talk about....diamonds

Been happily married for quite a few years now. But a slight problem has come up. It seems as if the Mrs. has LOST the center stone in her wedding band. Luckily, the loss was insured. I'm wondering if any members deal with jewelry and specifically diamonds. The stone was a VVS2 clarity, I-H color, perfect cut, round, .51 carat. It was a certified stone. I paid close to 5k for the loose stone some 13 years ago. The sale was from a good friend of the family, so I'm confident that I was screwed (he's since retired). The last appraisal had the whole ring over 10k, but that was a long time ago. I was looking on www.bluenile.com today, and was rather suprised at their prices. A comparable diamond was only $1,500! Have diamonds depreciated? The insuarance agency is going to make the check out to me and some jeweler. If at all possible, I'd like to replace a couple of the other stones that were in her ring that always looked dead. The ring was originally custom made (I designed it) and I never was really happy with the level of workmanship. I'd like to have those problems corrected too. I just don't know of any jewler that will cash a check made out to them and let me buy the stones on my own for them to set. That's kinda why I was hoping there was a member or two that would be able to help me out.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Registered

Default Re: OT-Let's talk about....diamonds

Originally Posted by Cord
I'm confident that I was screwed .
I'm thinking I paid $800.00 for a .75 karrat 18 years ago, so I'll have to agree with yoy on that point. I have a friend in the biz who can probably help you on all counts here in Toledo. Let me know if you want the contact info.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used these people many times. Ask for Sam and he will take care of you....the whole way through the process.

http://www.adiamor.com/
Old 01-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Registered

Not in the business so I cant help you with the check but,
This site has some great info on diamonds and pricing; check it out
http://www.pricescope.com/
Ive bought (as well as other family members) diamonds from,
Empire Diamond, they are located in the Empire State building, have been around forever (actually one of the orginal tenants of the biulding) and will do mail order.
Greg is the guy you want to talk to.
Whatever you buy go for a GIA certificate. Atleast then you will be somewhat certain as to what it is.
Good luck.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:51 PM
jtmiller02

bluenile.com is a very reputable company and their prices are much better than most retail stores....can't tell you much about diamond prices 15 years ago tho

Old 01-25-2005, 07:59 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Only diamonds I get I use in the BBQ.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

I have two 1/2 carat square ( I think that is princess cut) and a 3/4 square cut and a 1 carat square cut if you know anyone that wants them, Make me an offer. they are all good quality. I will take them out of my safe and take a pic tomorrow
Old 01-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres some advise

Last edited by Pantera1; 08-02-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Registered

Think about this.... how rare are diamonds? I mean....lets be serious....EVERY woman has some..... it has to be the biggest scam in the industry.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Mathews
Steve Quick on the board is a jeweler I believe. PM him to review the thread.
Yep Steve Quick, owner and driver of Deep Vee Cats; he specializes in diamonds and has a shop right near Diversey Harbor. He donated the necklace for the OSO Key West party
he would be a great contact and he is a very honest guy you should definately contact him.

Quick Reply: OT-Let's talk about....diamonds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.