Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outerlimits to try and Break the Speed Record !!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/96081-outerlimits-try-break-speed-record.html)

DollaBill 02-08-2005 10:23 AM

Re: Outerlimits to try and Break the Speed Record !!!!

Heard about it last week. Has to be any day now. JUST BEFORE MIAMI :)

berns29scarab 02-08-2005 10:57 AM

will this be an official or an unofficial attempt ?

jdnca1 02-08-2005 11:22 AM

Rumor has it that if Outerlimits is successful in breaking the record Reggie will re-attempt without weaing all the gold chains and rings. He's been quoted that this weight savings alone should put the Fountain near 200mph..... :p :p

DPT MOTORSPORTS 02-08-2005 11:30 AM

Unless this record is set at a sanctioned event it does not mean jack****!!! It needs to be run at an event where all are invited or have officials from one of the two sanctioning bodies to run the speed event otherwise it is just another useless run.

DollaBill 02-08-2005 11:34 AM

I like OL too, but why does Mike always have to pull these by himself. Either do it with everyone else, or wait until next year. Play by the same rules. He is causing the controversy himself.

NJgr8ful 02-08-2005 11:37 AM

I've seen this movie ... a few times :rolleyes:

Havasu Cig 02-08-2005 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DPT MOTORSPORTS
Unless this record is set at a sanctioned event it does not mean jack****!!! It needs to be run at an event where all are invited or have officials from one of the two sanctioning bodies to run the speed event otherwise it is just another useless run.

It is a sanctioned event and that is about all I can say. Wait and see.

vtec 02-08-2005 11:41 AM

I hope Mike does it. It's fun to watch this stuff.

No guys tryin' to go fast...equals boring.

DPT MOTORSPORTS 02-08-2005 11:44 AM

Outerlimits is always claiming to be the best boat out there. While I think the boats ar quality built and finish very nicely with a bog price tag like most and have heard that there customers are treated second to none that does not equal up to being the best boat out there. Anyone can go fast in a straight line as that has been proved but put together a race-boat put it on a sanctioned course and show that the boats are really something. Skater, Fountain, Phantom, Cigarette have all done it and are still doing it. Man UP, Stop all the Speed Run BS and "SHUT UP AND RACE!!!!!!!

Until then enough with being the fastest boat out there. It's getting old.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

sellsman11 02-08-2005 11:45 AM

Rumor at Pier57 is that Mike got a new hand held GPS!! (Bet he tests it on the airplane!!) :D :D :D

Roger 1 02-08-2005 11:48 AM

Even if they do break Reggies record, I think that it will be viewed as a blind sided sucker punch. It will have been done just before the show without allowing Reggie time to respond. If this is not the case, then why all the secrecy. When Reggie broke the record this summer, he announced it and invited all intrested partys to participate with plenty of time to prepare.
Outerlimits makes a fine boat and they may very well be able to best Reggies record. I just think they could figure out a better way.

rainmn 02-08-2005 12:02 PM

What boat are they running this time? As of Saturday, XXX was sitting on it's trailer at the AC boat show.

cowisl 02-08-2005 12:04 PM

Its a new boat

damdonzi 02-08-2005 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Outerlimits is always claiming to be the best boat out there. While I think the boats ar quality built and finish very nicely with a bog price tag like most and have heard that there customers are treated second to none that does not equal up to being the best boat out there. Anyone can go fast in a straight line as that has been proved but put together a race-boat put it on a sanctioned course and show that the boats are really something. Skater, Fountain, Phantom, Cigarette have all done it and are still doing it. Man UP, Stop all the Speed Run BS and "SHUT UP AND RACE!!!!!!!

Amen.

DollaBill 02-08-2005 12:20 PM

here, here! Shut up and race.

DragonFire 02-08-2005 12:31 PM

Outerlimits, makes one of the finest products I have seen. They are one- off high priced pieces of perfection.

But money can't buy you love and I am a Fountain owner and Lover. Reggie has been doin this forever. Records are set and broken.. That's the nature of offshore. No manufacturer has won more then Fountain. He's doing something right. Every boat off the assembly line is safe, smooth,fast and value packed. Competition is good for the industry..

Keep up the good work guys....

ApachePete 02-08-2005 12:49 PM

Why are you Fountain guys so defensive and hostile?

DollaBill 02-08-2005 12:51 PM

Because OL is doing this to stir up **** at Miami like last year. If they had problems in NC last August, wait until this year. I guess I really don;t give a ****. Let's just go fast and sort out later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's winter and we need some fun. Bring it.

DPT MOTORSPORTS 02-08-2005 12:52 PM

Not hostile here at all and not a direct Fountain supporter. I support all manufacturers but I do not agree with manufacturers that claim to be the fasted and so forth but do not do it in competition. Competition builds Champions not one way speed run with no competitors.

WesSmith 02-08-2005 12:57 PM

The OL's are awesome boats and works of art...I have several friends who own them.... but I still don't understand why they don't race !

What better R&D venue is there than an offshore race course ??

WesSmith 02-08-2005 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Corrado
an Apache guy calling fountain owners hostile. :evilb: :drink:

...you forgot " defensive " ! :D

ApachePete 02-08-2005 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Corrado
an Apache guy calling fountain owners hostile. :evilb: :drink:

Hey, all I wanted to do is post so that I can get notified when there's a new post.

And apache guys are NOT hostile. It's something else all together, but I'm not sure what. :D :D

But for everyone's sake, let's not turn this into another Apache rant!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

masher44 02-08-2005 01:14 PM

Go price a 42 OL then a 42 Fountain with same power.... then decide what to buy. Most cant buy an OL and most can buy the Fountain.

Both BADASS boats.... one twice as expensive :rolleyes:

masher44 02-08-2005 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by WesSmith
The OL's are awesome boats and works of art...I have several friends who own them.... but I still don't understand why they don't race !

What better R&D venue is there than an offshore race course ??

It is the same as Lambos and Ferraris.... both expensive as chit and only the pony races.... :rolleyes:

OldSchool 02-08-2005 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
Because OL is doing this to stir up **** at Miami like last year. If they had problems in NC last August, wait until this year. I guess I really don;t give a ****. Let's just go fast and sort out later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's winter and we need some fun. Bring it.

Sure was fun to see those guys last year in Miami with Chit eatin permagrins for the whole week!! :drink: :drink:

JUST BE SAFE!!

masher44 02-08-2005 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by dahkem1
Is anyone on OSO or elsewhere REALLY gonna buy a boat just because Reggie or Mike drove one at 180 mph?

No , the public wants a great looking, fast, quality somewhat affordable boat.... hence the popularity of the Fountains. I have a 29. I looked at every boat in that class out there and I was able to get a single engine, 80mph, very quality boat for well under 100K. I am lakes mostly and will get into something bigger in the 35 to 38 range soon. It boils down to bang for your buck in my book.
I am looking at OL, Cigs and Fountains for my next boat. All great!

masher44 02-08-2005 01:24 PM

and the Vette at 10% of the price DOES race, and can run with them both :D

YES IT DOES!!!!!!!!!!! :D

skaterboy 02-08-2005 01:25 PM

You guys really need to "pack in" the V-Hull Technology and experience a Skater. Dollar for Dollar they are equal to or cheaper then Fountain or OL and they way out perform both. They are also race proven in speed and safety.

masher44 02-08-2005 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by skaterboy
You guys really need to "pack in" the V-Hull Technology and experience a Skater. Dollar for Dollar they are equal to or cheaper then Fountain or OL and they way out perform both. They are also race proven in speed and safety.

It is not out of the realm of possibility.... I just have limited exposure to one. Send yours to TX and I will try it out for the summer. :D :D

rainmn 02-08-2005 01:55 PM

Is anyone on OSO or elsewhere REALLY gonna buy a boat just because Reggie or Mike drove one at 180 mph?

Is there even anyone out there who is currently trying to decide between an OL or a Fountain? I doubt it.

masher44 02-08-2005 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by rainmn
Is there even anyone out there who is currently trying to decide between an OL or a Fountain? I doubt it.

Yes, us mere mortals with a budget......

GLH 02-08-2005 02:17 PM

There is a market for both brands and no one shops for Fountains or an OL at the same time...please.

And they still ear this at the gas station;
"Is that one ahh them thar Cigarette boats" :D:D:D

jdnca1 02-08-2005 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by GLH

So true, I even hear that with my Cat! :D :D

Sean H 02-08-2005 02:36 PM

the main difference is that fountain is a production boat, nothing wrong with that, and OL is a custom boat. If you don't want something on a OL, they will take it out, if you want epoxy, they will make it epoxy, you want fiber, you get fiber, you want turbos, they will give ya turbos... fountain won't do those things for the average buyer, maybe some elite clients, but not average joe. Does fountain know how? of course they do, they just don't put that in there business model. The only thing they can be compared in is speed.... and even that is a stretch, you aren't buying the hulls they are doing this with anyway, so why does it matter? would you ride in some super light layup, no cabin, extreme power beast more than once? i wouldn't.... if mike wants to go run in RI and have somebody verify it and come to the show saying he can run 190 why does it matter? Reggie can do the same thing if he wants, i am sure they can have a boat in the water and running in the next couple of days if need be...

44MTI 02-08-2005 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
There is a market for both brands and no one shops for Fountains or an OL at the same time...please.

One of my best friends put up a deposit on a 42 OL at the 2003 Miami boat show and the next day ended up buying a new 47 fountain.
I know this may seem a stretch to some, but for the people actually writing the checks for these things it happen more often then one might think.

GLH 02-08-2005 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
One of my best friends put up a deposit on a 42 OL at the 2003 Miami boat show and the next day ended up buying a new 47 fountain...

More power to him but I would not think of those two brand of boats in the same shopping spree at all.

rainmn 02-08-2005 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by masher44
Yes, us mere mortals with a budget......

I wish my budget would have me trying to make this decision. :D Even if it did, it sure as hell wouldn't have anything to do with which one of them holds the speed record on what day.

GLH 02-08-2005 02:51 PM

Let's also not forget

The OL's they run for those runs are built at the same manufacturing factory where their boats are built.

The Fountains are built at Douglas Marine (Skater) not at the Fountain Factory.

That will always score one for OL.

tomtbone1993 02-08-2005 03:01 PM

some good reading, new smack ect ect :cool:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...t=speed+reggie

here is a good one

their is alot more do a search on "Reggie Speed"

tomtbone1993 02-08-2005 03:02 PM

To Reggie...

On behalf of myself and everyone at Outerlimits, I would like to congratulate you on your new world record kilo run. I know that this significant accomplishment undoubtedly required the dedication and cooperation of the entire Fountain team. There is no doubt that this speed record will be spoken of for some time to come.

Please accept my heartiest congratulations on raising the bar by posting a new record and giving us all a mark to shoot for.

Regards,
Mike Fiore
Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats