Notices

U-Haul trailers

Old 02-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: U-Haul trailers

U-Haul stuff is most often junk. I went 800 miles to trailer back a vette. Had the trailer reserved in the same town. Got there (3 PM Saturday) after being told the trailer was ready to go, and guess what? Both tire straps broken/missing, near empty master cylinder with stripped plastic cap, four soft 10 year old belted tires, no spare, and as I found out 6 AM Sunday...one with a nail in it. There's more! I made the trip with alternative methods of securing the car, some brake fluid and a cap off an enclosed trailer that was there. I put 20+ lbs air in that tire every fuel stop (often) and said my prayers. I got 40 miles from my house on the interstate when that tire finally let go (thankfully it didn't get the car). I called the U-haul contracted rollback (who I happened to know). When he showed I said "let's unload the car, put this POS trailer on the roll-back and drop it through thier front f'kin door".
I drove the car the rest of the way home with no plates and his boy running "blocker" in my truck.
I had enough!
They did give me half my money back when I *****ed though.
Thier stuff gets NO maintenence...and beat the hell out of every idiot you can imagine.
Buy one then sell it. There is always a market for the "one use trailer". If you don't lose anymore than the rental would have cost you...what are you out?
The aggrivation and worry of towing a suspect trailer, that's what!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

When we moved down to FL the first thing to go was the Mustang it had sat in the garage for thirteen years with little use my wife and I drove down and loved every mile of it. Nothing like hauling ass with the top down let the movers do the rest.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Personally towed an IROC from Syracuse to Fairfax a couple years ago on a U-haul trailer.

First, ONLY, and I mean ONLY accept a newer aluminum trailer. Do NOT get the painted steel orange ones. They are old junk.

Second, load the Mustang on backwards. It will much more evenly distribute the weight, if you use their tie down system, as it makes you take the forward wheels all the way to the front of the trailer. (As you can see below, I had all the weight of the motor over the tongue of the trailer, and it would have been a much better balance reversed. You will probably have to enter and exit out the passenger door, as the port side fender of the trailer is designed to drop swing down for door opening.) When we loaded and unloaded, I did so with the trailer backed to an incline so the IROC drove pretty much a straight plane onto the trailer so as not to scrape anything.

Third, go ahead and purchase their insurance. It covers everything including their trailer and your car. Its cheap.

Fourth, I used some extra ratchet straps around the rear axle to hold them down to the trailer as well. I would suggest doing this around the outer portion of the lower A-arms when you load backwards. Do not crank anything down by the frame, as the suspension will flex and eventually break your straps launching them.

I had the one I rented up to 70 or so with no issues behind a 1/2 ton Tahoe.
Attached Thumbnails U-Haul trailers-pic005.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-11-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes I had the old junk...but had no choice as it was a weekend, no other trailers within 150 miles (I was in Nowhere, Ohio), and I had to work Monday (in Watertown NY). This was 3 years ago and although I had seen them, I don't think there were as many of the newer aluminum ones in the fleet. Probably a better situation these days. Make sure there's a spare onboard regardless!
Old 02-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the trailer renters require you use their truck to tow it.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr2328
Most of the trailer renters require you use their truck to tow it.
U-Haul is the only one who does not. Its also a 2-inch ball.

When you hitch up to the trailer, they have a crank down tightening mechanism for the coupler to the ball. Hitch up, pull forward a couple inches, and stop without engaging the trailer brakes. Crank the knob down. Do this twice, and also at least once after you load the car. Check this crank down knob at each fuel/rest stop.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-11-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

I spent 28 hours last sat/sun getting to know a 26' U- Haul truck and car hauler combo real well, both POS but we made it from Texas to CT with no incidents. Just be sure to check the tire straps at EVERY fuel stop.
We ran right up to the 75mph limiter with no swaying from trailer.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the same experiences with U-haul as Rippem. Also I love the fact that helf the time you rent from them the stuff is not there when you get to the place. They send you to this place or that place, inevitably farther away, and then wont credit you the miles. WHAT ABOUT MY TIME JACK AZZES!!! They have also tried to charge me more then the agreed apon price. I had the documentation and they STILL wanted to charge me more. I said I have the original receipt from the reservation and they actually said that we do not care. I told them to stuff it and that what they were doing was baite and switch and to have thier lawer call me, but that if they charged my card that they were going to hear from mine, and then got their name cuz their name was going to be on the suit. So far no call.....
Old 02-12-2005, 08:03 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

What would it cost for a one way ticket "back home" for one of your buddies to come spend a few days with you. Let him/her drive it down then fly them back.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually was considering buying a trailer, since I actually have 3 nice Mustangs that'll eventually go with me. I was just hesitant to buy one yet because I may not have anywhere to park the dually, trailer and 1 Mustang (Not to mention the Boat, but that is next trip!)

I've already checked Amtrak. That is a sweet deal! It was only $225 one way! I'm just figuring by bringing the truck too, I can bring alot more stuff I need like...a bed!

Quick Reply: U-Haul trailers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.