Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

Notices

Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

Old 02-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

Keep in mind that I tried to buy this boat over 2 years ago from the orignal owner (truck driver) through one of his buddys who listed it here on OSO and I called Cigarette with the Hull ID number; They indicated that the boat came with 502's and said the layup was FIBERGLASS, not KEVLAR. Who knows...

His buddy is also the person who told me later that the boat only saw 68-70 when he was in it with the updated engines.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:41 AM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jody165
Keep in mind that I tried to buy this boat over 2 years ago from the orignal owner (truck driver) through one of his buddys who listed it here on OSO and I called Cigarette with the Hull ID number; They indicated that the boat came with 502's and said the layup was FIBERGLASS, not KEVLAR. Who knows...

His buddy is also the person who told me later that the boat only saw 68-70 when he was in it with the updated engines.

Good luck.
Wow, thats interesting. I had the hull number but never did get ahold of Cigarette. Sure glad I didn't pull the trigger on the deal if thats all the fastest it will run. Heck, my Bullet runs that fast.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

We were driving by the showroom again yesterday and I decided to stop in and show the boat to my wife. We're getting a T.G. eventually but one with a full cabin. Just wanted her opinion.

Anyway she also thought the hull was in great shape for a 1990 but the seating and interior needed help.

And yes it is still for sale !

ed
Old 03-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Registered

I emailed again yesterday, they said the deal for 68k with 10k down was still pending. However, If I came with a 66k bank check it would be mine.

Time will tell.........
Old 03-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Registered

Question Re: Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

Hello My name is Scott ! And I am the salesperson From Watersedge Marine & I can answer any questions you may have regarding this boat. The first 2 weeks we had the boat we had over 15 people come in on lunch hours or free time to just look at boat no intention of buying just wanted to inspect boat.(I now can see why) Because of the price range the boat is in, it brought a lot of attention , we put the boat up on e-bay and we did have people all over boat. Some boats will sell on e-bay some we don't! The boat went up over $55,000 on an AS IS AUCTION(Do you stop auction or let it ride). When you run a sales operation like ours it tuff , we had a lot of people intrested you need to know who to commit to.
Like for example Mr Laluvr was going to drive 300 miles to come see boat and we had a rock bottom, as is price with him from Rob , We told him not to drive all this way if did not want to pay price quoted to him . 2 Days before he was to drive to Detroit we had a buyer walk in front door and look at boat at a higher price. He came back later that same day before Laluvr was to leave, The possible buyer wrote us a check on the spot for a deposit and sale subject to bank approval (Note: we are still working with this guy). Now what do you do as a company go with the guy who has seen and inspected the vessel or go with a deal on boat where buyer has not seen boat. We got a hold of Mr Laluvr told him the situation so he did not waste a trip. But buyer did not get fiancing it time so Mr Laluvr came to see boat anyway but was not what he was looking for. We have had several (Verbal)offers on the boat we even had a buyer fly in with a cashiers (Well said he had one)check from Atlanta but wanted a full cabin instead.

This is where we are at with the boat ! We have a deposit on the vessel subject to the buyer obtaining fiancing which he is still working on .(Needs to refiance propety takes time & may not happen) In the mean time if someone wants the boat we can still sell it if the numbers are right . If we can agree to numbers we can sell it now !

Condition report on vessel:
The boat was checked by our staffs fiberglass expert has no structural problems(We can't tell if kelvar by looking at .Those who have spoke direct to me I tell them we have been told is but knot sure, My ads don't say kevlar!) The engines have from what second hand info we have been told 150 hours on them since they were gone thru , 300 + on hour meters . Our Mech did a compression check on both motors and all cylinders were well within spec for a motors(Any one who wants to purchase can re-confirm this) . We fixed a leaky drive seal and accelerator pump on one of the carbs . We ran the engines in our shop on a hose and tested for proper operation and then re-winterized. We did not change oil or perform a full service on (Is what isa buyer can do oil samles test)the vessel just repaired a few systems on the boat . The boat was moved into our showroom washed and waxed . When Intercepter came into inspect the vessel , I had not had a chance to look vessel over at that point or even get on the boat.
This is what I do know about the vessel she had spent some time in salt water but it looks to of been many years ago and before engine rebuild. The hull has no signs of hard abuse such as jumping waves or impact damage . The boat shows no signs of fiberglass repairs other that small air voids in gel from factory(that were repaired) . The interiors of early top guns are very plain but ours is in above average condition for her age (No rips tears cracking) The drives are in good condition but one of the drive gimbals needs to be replaced loose (we found out after some one inspected (hard to check with external steering). Where the headers meet the exhaust tips they need to be repacked with aspestos have small water leak . The compass does not work and the horn did not operate the trim indicators cables have reached end of usefull life(Most boats of this age need to be replaced). The speed of the boat is any where from 65 to 75 MPH we have not run boat on water , but a 38 top gun with 550 to 600 hp w/ bravo's sould be in this range . She was kept near Toledo Ohio and used on Lake Erie .
So far as the value she is a 1990 3 Top Gun with bravo's (Not TRS) we have not found anything with Bravo's less than $89,900 if you all feel boat is worth $50,000 you guys show me other 38 top guns in this range with Bravo's . You can e-mail me .

I am going to sell this boat this week call me who is intrested buying boat .We are ready to deal ! You know what we know about vessel !

Last edited by 48VIKING; 03-06-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Registered

Angry Re: Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

Originally Posted by dockrocker
I've lived in the metro Detroit area all my life, and I have yet to meet anyone that was a repeat customer of Water's Edge. I do, however, know a number of folks that have done business with them in the past and regretted it.

IMHO, there are a hell of a lot more Cigs in the water, if you know what I mean.
You can call me at office my office at Watersedge. I Would be happy for you to give me the names of those people. I would like to call them.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Registered

Question Re: Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

Originally Posted by Interceptor
I drove by the showroom yesterday. The boat was still there but the platform and ladder used to get aboard were not alongside the boat. Whatever that means.

ed
When you came in the showroom I greeted you and asked if we could help you . You indicated you were fine and needed no help , I kept my distance but stayed close if you had questions . If you want to know something I would be happy to help you all you need to do is ask !

Scott
Old 03-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I found out some info this weekend but have decided not to post it after reading the above posts. I don't like this type of sales tactic.

I will say one thing that has been a number one concern, the boat is NOT kevlar.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Scott,
I think the following would help :

What everyone wonders -
Engines history including modifications ?
Drives history, new, rebuilt, repainted ?
Any known water intrusion in hull ?
Hull construction, conventional or Kevlar ?
ex-race boat or not ?

What we've beat to death -
Sparse outdated cabin
Dash needs update
Seating and sunpad need update
Hull looks very good actually and is probably a fair representation of a nice 1990 hull.
If the boat was mechanically sound and I were to buy the boat it would require a complete cabin redo, repainting of the dash area, gage upgrade, electronic upgrade and seating redo. I also know that work represents thousands not hundreds of dollars. Thats why I'm thinking it is a 50K boat to me.

I agree this has been a mess and feel for the previous owner.
I also do not understand the seller. The boat was on EBay twice and listed nationally. He seems to be playing a game with the price he wants. I'm guessing he is holding out until spring thinking he'll get more money as the weather improves.

ed
I would be happy to go over first hand the boat and answer any questions you may have !

Last edited by 48VIKING; 03-06-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Old
There's been enough interest from guys on this thread alone to make the sales guys believe they're sitting on hot property.

I think it'll sell in the 60's.
I am going to let the boat sell it-self she is in our heated showroom for anyone who wants to do a complete inspection. Any one can make an conditional offer in writing subject to engine inspection and survey.

Last edited by 48VIKING; 03-06-2005 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Trip to Detroit area to look at a Top Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.