Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore

Notices

Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore

Old 02-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore

Hey, I have a degree in US History for cripes sake!! Good for something I guess. LOL!!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pull my trigger
Im typing about a mile from Lake Ontario.....Ive never been on the ocean but from what I can gather from pictures/watching races on TV etc is we NEVER have the widely spaced crests that you have on the ocean (it seems especially on the west coast) that allow you to catch major air time,(to the point water stops flowing out from under the boat!) get a rythem going and 'hop' from wave to wave in and out of the throttle......has anyone on the Great Lakes ever done that????.......I wish!!!........instead as stated above, I totally agree, we got deep, closley spaced mixed up, inconsistant washing machine crap that pounds the hell out of you with the odd deep hole thrown in to swallow you up......Id LOVE to do that hoppin' thing.......A buddy used to ask me to take him out on the Lake to do that.....I told him "it doesnt happen"......doug
I agree except you can throttle in this short chop but you gotto be quick. and your right in our water you don't sail and land, your either launching vert. off a wave or banging into the next I love it.
BTW: I like beating a dead horse , it won't kick back.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
Now, I declare this thread a dead horse and we should stop beating it!!
I agree, if we don't stop "bragging" about the rough stuff no one will want to come to our poker run.

Some days I have been out on Lake MI and the sky and water were so blue you would think you were in the Caribbean, so have those days to. The last two SOTW's were pretty calm.

Regardless of the water condition when we are out in out boats we are still offshore, that's is the point I wanted to make. Thanks for helping prove me right, you know us woman how we love to be right
Old 02-25-2005, 09:25 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
..........you know us woman how we love to be right
If your wearing the suit in your avatar, no one will every disagree with you!!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone who doubts what the Big lakes can throw at you should try the eastern end of Lake Erie with a 20 mph westerly wind. Can you say 15 foot tall vertical walls of water breaking at the top? Maybe try Lake Huron when a strong Northern blows or Lake superior when the wind comes from any direction. The Great Lakes are meaqn and nasty and I wouldn't want to try running them hard when mother nature descides to blow on them.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:27 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

BTW, I agree with the board here, I've been caught in 6 footers in the mouth of the James river. The lakes look like they can get nasty. (I also thought about the Edmund Fitzgerald)
Old 02-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t500hps
If your wearing the suit in your avatar, no one will every disagree with you!!
Everyone would agree that suit should never leave my closet
Old 02-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Registered

I grew up on Lake Erie and it is a tough body of water. I remember seeing on the Discovery, History or something channel that Lake Erie has more shipwrecks lying beneath its waters than any other of the Great Lakes because of the shallowness. I can personally attest that I have seen the lake go from perfectly calm and sunny to 70+ mph winds, driving rain and 8-10 foot waves in less than 20 minutes. On one day in particular, the weather changed so severley that 50+ boats were damaged in 12+ seas, while a few people were killed and a hospital near the shore had a 5 ton a/c unit blown ripped off the roof by the winds. The weather had been 85 and sunny with 1-2 foot chop about 15 minutes before the storm hit.

Lakes Michigan, Huron, Ontario and Superior are all brutal. I've got nothing against the oceans as they can all get nasty. But, unless you've seen the power of mother nature wreaking havoc on one of the Great Lakes, you just can't understand what it is like.

So - use the term OFFSHORE and forget anyone who is ignorant enough to question its invocation.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

First off there aren't no real "rollers" on the mid-Atlantic coast with the exception of a very nice day. The southern Chesapeake is similar to the lakes in that it's relatively shallow except in the channels. The main difference for us would be the fact that the tides collide with the many tributaries we have such as the James River; Elizabeth River; York River; and on and on. Couple that with the winds and you have the infamous "confused waters". When it's rough in the mid-Atlantic there are no rolling waves like one would find a lot on the west coast. The crests are very far apart and vertically steep (hence nothing beats length to run thru them), bone crushing and keel busting if the boat is not made to take it (i.e. lake boat meaning small lakes/rivers). Yet sometimes you get trapped on the other side and have to make a run for it to make it home. Down south in the Gulf stream things aren't so crazy and usually fair seas, but can turn to perfect storm conditions quick.

With that being said, I agree the big lakes such as Michigan are famous for their sea states and their ability to put super-tankers on the bottom. Anyone who watches the Discovery channel can tell ya that. If there's a difference between the ocean guys and the "big" lake guys it would be in their inclination or average need to run on it more often when it's snotty for a larger number of reasons during a much longer boating season (durability). Otherwise all things being equal I would think the "big" lakes are just as treacherous or onery as the Eastern Lake Grande...Just an opinion...
Old 02-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTONCE
I agree except you can throttle in this short chop but you gotto be quick. and your right in our water you don't sail and land, your either launching vert. off a wave or banging into the next I love it.
BTW: I like beating a dead horse , it won't kick back.
oh yeah you can throttle but I agree they are very short bursts and you never seem to do more than 2 or 3 at a time.........doug

Quick Reply: Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.