Notices

Uss Jimmy Carter

Old 02-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Re: Uss Jimmy Carter

It is altogether fitting because Carter played a role in helping to construct the US Nuclear Navy.

Navy Career and Marriage

The events of World War II (1939–45) motivated many American patriots like Jimmy to enter the military service. There was stiff competition for admission into Annapolis and thus, Carter flung himself into his coursework, studying for a year at Georgia Institute of Technology in 1942. Carter was admitted to Annapolis in 1943 and graduated in the top ten percent of his class in August 1946, just after the end of the war.

Prior to his last year at Annapolis, while on leave, Midshipman Carter met Rosalynn Smith, a friend of his sister's. She was only seventeen-years-old, three years Jimmy's junior. When Carter first proposed marriage, she refused him. Early the following year, however, she visited him at Annapolis, and when he proposed a second time she accepted. The two were married in July of 1946.

For Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter, the next eight years were typical of a young postwar, American couple. Their first son was born within a year of their marriage, and there would eventually be two more sons and a daughter. Carter worked long hours while his wife worked at home raising the children. Lieutenant Carter selected the submarine service, the Navy's most hazardous duty. One incident during this time clearly illustrated Carter's values and beliefs. While his submarine was moored in Bermuda, British officials there extended a party invitation to white crewmembers only. Partly at Carter's urgings, everyone on the submarine refused to attend.

About this time, the Navy was attempting to construct its first nuclear-powered submarines. The program was headed by the brilliant, tough Captain Hyman Rickover. Today regarded as "the father of the nuclear Navy," Rickover was slight, intense and a demanding taskmaster. Carter was assigned to Rickover's research team, and the young lieutenant was pushed mercilessly by the uncompromising captain. "I think, second to my own father, Rickover had more effect on my life than any other man," Carter would later say. One of the two new submarines being built was the Seawolf, and Carter taught nuclear engineering to its handpicked crew.

http://www.americanpresident.org/his...y.common.shtml
Old 02-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Marginmn. History will be good to Carter.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Unfortunatly Jimmy carter was one of the worst presidents weve ever had
Nice sub
I have no hard feelings about Jimma's time in the Oval office... but barring our athletes from competion in the Olympics was disgraceful.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Unfortunatly Jimmy carter was one of the worst presidents weve ever had
Nice sub

Yep!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 02-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Registered

Jimmy Carter is a DISGRACE and a traitor......If anything North Korea should name one of it's Subs after him.....
Old 02-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Peanut Butter ?
Old 02-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://images.military.com/Shock/0,,...092104,00.html
Old 02-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://images.military.com/Shock/0,,...031111,00.html

breaking sound barrier
Old 02-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Independent
Surplus ok, well then we had a small problem that maybe you heard about. On Sept 11, 2001 we were attacked, and had to clean up one hell of mess that I'm guessing your buddy Billy Clinton had left for us. If Billy had taking care of the problem when it started, like when the USS Cole was attacked maybe Sept 11 would not have happened. I dont know but neither do you. So when you talk about the debt I will agree that it is VERY large, but at least I understand why. Jimmy Carter did nothing for this country that I have ever seen, but cause high interest rates, a week economy, upset every athlet that should have went to the games, and just bring down the whole country where it seemed that we did not even like ourselves. But hay that is just my opion. I'm sure you won't share it but what do I care.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PW
You said it !

Quick Reply: Uss Jimmy Carter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.