Notices

Fountain VS. Hustler

Old 03-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fountain VS. Hustler

Hey Greg, i saw you at the Glen Cove run, I was running with you for a while from Bridgeport to Cold Springs, i have the Blue and White Cigarette. You have a fast boat there, sure i will see you again soon.....Ricky
Old 03-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember that cigarette. She looked brand new.Must be nice,See you out there for sure.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Greig,
I do remember you from the Glen Cove Run. I will definantly say hello if/when I see you at the New York runs.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:32 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Fountain

Originally Posted by Ing
Of the dozen or so Fountains inflicted on us, within the first months of delivery many had to be sent back to the factory or repaired in the field for delamination and stress cracks in the engine compartment and the bow area under the sleeping pad.
Ing,
What you really needed was one of the Hydra Powerboats.
Built to Government Standards & Regulations.
Unfortunately I believe it was Clinton's Budget Cut to the "War on Drugs" that the Government backed out on their contract with Hydra for the remainder of the boats ordered.

The sad part was having the contract in hand, Hydra had special ordered many parts for at least half of the boats ordered and was stuck with the bill for things such as windshields, hatch covers etc. that were made to their standards that they would have to eat.....I was surprised that alone didn't put the company out of business. Somehow they are still in business and building some best stuff out there today...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rush
I could destroy any thing if I didnt own it.
Hmmm, this almost sounds like you are implying the USCG beats the crap out of their equipment. Doubtful.

I can't speak for them since I was not in the CG. But the branch of the service I was in took maticulous care of the equipment.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rush
Thats going to far, His head on YOUR body.
Originally Posted by RUSH
Sorry i couldnt resist either, It just pissed me off !
Sorry, it was all in fun and games. Relax!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lucididee; 03-12-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
I take it you have never seen Lucididee.

She is easily a 150 lbs lighter, no hair on her chest and can probably kick your butt out on the ocean!

Just havin' fun!
Thanks for getting my back!

PS-I found the tape and will be making a copy. I'll PM you Mon or Tue for an address to send it to.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Registered

Rigging, construction, and components used are all top quality on the Hustler. I'm obviously partial.

But, I also looked long and hard at Fountain. If the $'s and deal was right, I would buy a Fountain.

But, my 1st choice would be the Slingshot.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Fountain 40, looking foward to some fun .Hustlrs,cigs,fountains,lets party.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pull my trigger
ok fine.......so he has firsthand knowlege how a Fountain holds up in his environment.......if Customs doesnt have Hustlers then how does he know they wouldnt do the same?????...........and "because they wouldnt" is not an answer.........your turn councilor...........
A previuos writer is correct. Customs never used Hustlers. Neither did the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard piggy backed off the Customs contract and also bought some 42' Fountains. They had numerous personal injuries sustained on the Fountains because of the stepped bottom catching and pitching passengers. I had a crewmember crack his head the same way. Our interdictions were basically dogfights on water and stepped hulls SUCK for tight turns.

I will give Reggie credit for the development and refinement of the stepped hull which, if you want to point it and go fast is great. It's my opinion that as the cost of his R&D and size of his adds went up, the quality of rigging went down. The only reason Fountain ever got the Gov't contract was because he was the only compnay out of three that responded to the bid offer who could actually produce the boats. Dealing with US Gov't contracts is a real pain, especially with warranties, and most small company's, which build most of the better boats., don't want the hassle.

I have never been underway in a Hustler but I have been onboard a few and the quality of rigging is noticeably above the Fountains. Don't forget to subtract 2' from Fountains advertised length. Paying for a 38' Fountain is paying for a 36' foot boat with two feet of fiberglass on the transom. You have to wonder why every web site selling used boats has an abundance of Fountains for sale.

Just for information sake. Once the Fountain contract ended. Customs has been buying the new incarnation of the Midnight Express which has been lengthened to 39' with quad Merc 225's.

I'm not familiar with Hydra Boats. Did they build the old SEAL boats? I thought one of McManus's operations built those. The SEALs also used Fountains very briefly. Broke them and got rid of them.

Both the USCG and Customs kept meticously care of most of our equipment because we never knew when we'd be getting replacements. The USCG even more so because being a military outfit you didn't want to be an E-5, bust up a boat and be told you had to pay for it.

Last edited by Ing; 03-13-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Fountain VS. Hustler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.