Like Tree0Likes

Audio Guys I need cable help

Old 03-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Registered

My Boats: Apache 28 Brave
Default Re: Audio Guys I need cable help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Now that I think about it not sure if that will work. I need 1 sheilded pair for the mic, however I wouldn't want to use 1 pair for the audio. The L & R channels should probably not be twisted together, right? So I would need 3 pair, 1 for the mic, 1 for L and 1 for R. Then would would I do with the audio (ground) since the headset is 3 wires for the audio. I would connect the sheild at the intercom side only but then I would have two grounds for audio at the headset (one wire from each of the pairs), if I connected them together I would probably have one heck of a ground loop.

Do I run 2 cables, one for audio and one for mic?

The Neutrik connector is a 5 pin connector.
You are right. I thought the audio line level was mono.
The two drain/ground wires would be in contact with each other through the shield. They would "share a ground" as you say.
But the wire that Jon has would work. He is also right about Cat5 as long as you pay attention to your pairs. The impedance difference created by the different twists matters. I always use shielded tho... because I did it for so long before Cat5.
If he has a multiconductor wire with a ground, use the ground that touches the shield wrap for your mic ground. Use one of the jacketed wires for your audio (line level) common "ground."
Splitting a pair with shielded wire is not as much of a potential problem as splitting a pair with Cat5.

I checked my "two pair" last night and I only have about 75 feet.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:26 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Question Re: Audio Guys I need cable help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn
If going through the boat then I would say use Cat5. The way the twists are gives you a very good shield and it is actually very good at sending sound through as long at the power is fairly low as it will be going to head sets.

Jon
So Jon,
You are saying Cat 5 is good for "Line Level" sound? At what length could you run before you start to get loss?

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
So Jon,
You are saying Cat 5 is good for "Line Level" sound? At what length could you run before you start to get loss?
Sharkey that depends on a LOT of different things. One is what is driving it. I have gone as far as 1000 feet on cat 5 and had little loss. I have also gone 100 feet and it sounded like crap. We send everything over cat5 now. In the house I am working on today we are sending video, audio, digital audio, HDTV all from a centralized system to 8 theaters and 32 zones of audio all over the house. Longest run is probably in the area of 250 feet and the picture is stunning. We are using special boxes in this house to convert the audio and video to cat 5 and then pulling it back out. This is what we are using at the head end http://www.crestron.com/products/sho...t=1052&id=1005 . Not at all practical for a boat but you get the idea. The problem with cat5 is I would not recommend it in a area were it is going to be bent and twisted a lot as it will break.

Jon
Old 03-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Registered

My Boats: Apache 28 Brave

And bending and twisting interferes with the twists and the distance between conductors and ruins the shield effect, too.

(Jon meant to say that.)
Old 03-11-2005, 12:09 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Question Re: Audio Guys I need cable help

Wow!!!

Now that is some serious equipment!

I was simply looking to run cables between my HP Media Center Computer to my Harmon Kardon Surround Sound Amp AVR 20 ll.
For right now just in my home office I ran RG-56 dual insulated cables. I had plenty of it and I was unclear how well Cat-5 was going to work for audio. I still have the option right now of running the Cat-5. Which do you think would be better for audio and video?

At a later date, I will be building a "Home Theater" and would like to Pre-wire it right. I wish I contacted you sooner...
I did use Cat-5 Plenum for the S-Video because I tried it out temporarily and I saw no change in the picture.
With the Cat-5 is there an adapter needed to change the impedance???

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Registered

As it turns out, with the system I bought the pilot and co-pilot (this is an avionic unit) have completely independent systems. The 4 passengers share the audio, meaning all four headsets run off the same 3 audio wires L&R&gnd). The mics are seperate. Since the 4 will run across the back of the boat I am going to run a single audio cable to the 4 connectors. I'll also run 4 channel mic cord for the mics. For the front 2 the runs are extremely short but I'll probably use the same cord.
My biggest concern is picking up ignition noise, especially with the mics.