Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hopefully good news on stolen boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98919-hopefully-good-news-stolen-boat.html)

TRichter 03-18-2005 10:35 AM

Help, I was robbed by a broker, what should I do? Pic attached.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, A (friend?) of mine who is a boat broker picked up my 1994 32' Fountain w/525's.(He's 200 miles away at Lake Travis) He had it sold the week of 911 and the guy backed out. It then sat on his lot for 6 months (March 2002)and he said he would make some payments on it if he could use it and get it out on the lake for exposure. I agreed. He made 4 payments and stopped, so in Nov of 2002, I went to pick it up but the boat was gone. To keep this short, he sold it to a guy (Nathan)in Lees Summit, Mo. and told him that he was the owner. He got $51,000.00 down and later I found out that he sold it back in March. I sued and won, but can't collect anything from him. HERE'S A LINK TO THE JUDGEMENT http://home.houston.rr.com/cabnetcon/ I've talked to Nathan in Missouri and he wants it resolved also, but now he won't take my calls. I still have title to this and am making large payments on it. I need some help with this, PLEASE!! The Broker is: J.P.Price (John Perry Price) owner of 4-Play Marine & RV, 2001 RR 620 North, Austin, Tx. 78734. Ph: 512-266-4551 and has a web site. http://www.4playmarinerv.com/ You might have to copy and paste to your search engine. As he has blocked this site. It seems to work now though. Thanks all, Tom Richter, Crosby, Tx.

DollaBill 03-18-2005 10:44 AM

Re: Help, I was robbed by a broker, what should I do?

Go get your boat. Period. You have title. Call the police today. Tell them the boat is stolen and that you know where it is. Let Nathan take it up with the broker. That's why all states need to license brokers like Florida. Ask Otis311 or one of the other guys who got screwed by National, but I think I am right.

Wild 03-18-2005 10:54 AM

I went through this same thing with another A-hole in Texas, I had to drive to houston, jump the fence, cut the lock off the boat (i got caught, had to pay the $1300 he owed the marina for slip rental), and i trailered it home. If you hold the title the boat is yours, go get it. The police will not stop you I called them first and they told me to go get it.

call me with any question

Randy Wild
314-420-2619

t500hps 03-18-2005 11:42 AM

Nathan got screwed, you have a boat to sell.....again. Go Get it!!!!!

CustomRigger101 03-18-2005 11:52 AM

if you are the title holder with no leans.. go get it.. but if you are making payment and the lien holder has the title call the lien holder and tell them.. if have very good attorneys

LaughingCat 03-18-2005 11:59 AM

It's a stolen boat. Nathan is the one with a problem, not you. Your bank should back you up. Otherwise, report it stolen and let Nathan (and your friend) sort it out with the legal system.

fund razor 03-18-2005 12:02 PM

Usually I am suspicious when somebody joins and posts the first thread about a problem with somebody.

However, they don't usually give their name either. So I guess I think Tom is on the up and up.

Welcome to OSO. Go get your boat back. Then post a pic of you on the water in it. good luck.

Sean H 03-18-2005 12:08 PM

i live in lee's summit, give me some info and i will get your boat.... :cool:

otis311 03-18-2005 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
Go get your boat. Period. You have title. Call the police today. Tell them the boat is stolen and that you know where it is. Let Nathan take it up with the broker. That's why all states need to license brokers like Florida. Ask Otis311 or one of the other guys who got screwed by National, but I think I am right.

You are absolutly correct. I hated like hell to take back my TopGun from the "new owner" But, I was the legal owner and was responcible for the note on it. The new owner went to court to get the boat back, but the judge ruled in our favor. Its your boat and you are liable for it. Go get it before he hits someone or ruins the boat. He has no right to insure it because he legally doesnt own it. Your responcible.

TRichter 03-18-2005 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
i live in lee's summit, give me some info and i will get your boat.... :cool:

Hey Sean, sent you an e-mail. Hope to here from you. Thanks Tom Richter

32 thunder 03-18-2005 12:19 PM

Go get the boat!!!!!!! As long as you have the title you are ok.

Sean H 03-18-2005 12:21 PM

tom i will give you a call sunday, i am getting ready to go the lake and will be back around lunch on suday.. call you then...

Sean

TRichter 03-18-2005 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by otis311
You are absolutly correct. I hated like hell to take back my TopGun from the "new owner" But, I was the legal owner and was responcible for the note on it. The new owner went to court to get the boat back, but the judge ruled in our favor. Its your boat and you are liable for it. Go get it before he hits someone or ruins the boat. He has no right to insure it because he legally doesnt own it. Your responcible.

Otis311, I called the police before going to court, they said it was a CIVIL matter, even talked to the DA in Austin and he said the same. Parks and wildlife put some pressure on J.P. (he got nervous and made 2 payments and then stopped.) when they said the statute of limitations (2 years ) had run out> This guy knows how to side-step the law. Thanks, Tom Richter

Ron P 03-18-2005 12:25 PM

Go get the boat.

Call the local police before you do so and let them know the boat was stolen and you know where it is so your going to pick it up.

You have the title, you have the boat, end of story.

I'd stop calling the new owner so he doesn't hide it somewhere.

Have you reported it stolen? I wouldn't tell the police any more than that. Let the owner that bought the stolen property try to talk his way out of it.

You're being too nice.

t500hps 03-18-2005 12:32 PM

If I understand this correctly....You are still making payments on a boat you haven't seen in 2 1/2 years? You hold the title and law enforcement says it's a civil matter?
I have to say something sounds odd.....and that it would become a civil matter when I backed up to that boat and someone tried to stop me.
Russ C.

TRichter 03-18-2005 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps
If I understand this correctly....You are still making payments on a boat you haven't seen in 2 1/2 years? You hold the title and law enforcement says it's a civil matter?
I have to say something sounds odd.....and that it would become a civil matter when I backed up to that boat and someone tried to stop me.
Russ C.

Russ, It's a civil matter because I let J.P. pick it up to sell, it wasn't stolen, according to the laws in Texas.

TRichter 03-18-2005 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
Usually I am suspicious when somebody joins and posts the first thread about a problem with somebody.

However, they don't usually give their name either. So I guess I think Tom is on the up and up.

Welcome to OSO. Go get your boat back. Then post a pic of you on the water in it. good luck.

Thanks, Fund Raiser, Didn't know about this site till a guy in Miami named Gino who owns a big cat, told me about. Met him on E-bay (Bought a knock-sensor from me) Tom

fund razor 03-18-2005 12:43 PM

Depending on how you explain it to the police, and their understanding of the timeline, you will get different answers regarding Civil or no.

It really does sound like a civil matter. But the fact that you have the title means that you will not be prevented in getting your boat by law enforcement unless you have to break laws to get it.

The reason that it is a civil matter is because the boat was not transferred to the current user via direct theft. He didn't sneek in your yard in the middle of the night. He broke a deal.

Let's say that you start making payments on a car but then you stop.
The bank has the title. They own the car. They have the right to come get it. But you have NOT committed grand theft auto.

fund razor 03-18-2005 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by TRichter
Thanks, Fund Raiser, Didn't know about this site till a guy in Miami named Gino who owns a big cat, told me about. Met him on E-bay (Bought a knock-sensor from me) Tom

Sounds like our friend LubeJobs.

OSO is a great site. Again, welcome... you just gained 10,000 friends with boats. :D

thedonz 03-18-2005 12:47 PM

Call The Police And Go Get Your Boat Ypu Have Title Your Good To Go

Donz Jr Mike

TRichter 03-18-2005 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 32 thunder
Go get the boat!!!!!!! As long as you have the title you are ok.

Got to find it first, Nathan lives in Lees Summit and boats at Lake of the Ozarks, big area to try and find something, especially when I don't know the area. Tom

TRichter 03-18-2005 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps
Russ C.

Hey Russ, I don't want to go to jail over this, I just want my boat back so I can get out from under the payments. $910.00 plus insurance

GLH 03-18-2005 01:04 PM

Declare it stolen.

If you still had the insurance call them, make a claim fr stolen.

Call the Sheriff in your county and the county where the boat is and tell them where it is. Call your insurance company also.

Better yet ... have your lawyer call the sheriff's and your insurance company with the location.

And last, why do you trust people like that? Specially after the National Marine debacle. Anyone says "I'll make your payments" run away with your sh!t...

tomtbone1993 03-18-2005 01:05 PM

I want pictures of Sean H. in or pullinf a Fountain, Tom ist time to lawer up! and get nasty.

GLH 03-18-2005 01:12 PM

Ohhh yes.... forgot the most important...

Find out where this salesman guy lives, seduce his wife or GF, bang them send him pictures, burn anything he owns outright and steal his dog.

All this figuratively of course, well maybe not about the wife/gf deal if she's good looking...

TRichter 03-18-2005 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
I want pictures of Sean H. in or pullinf a Fountain, Tom ist time to lawer up! and get nasty.

Allready spent $2500.00 in attorney fees and P.I. got a judgement for $110,000.00 plus 5* interest, doesn't do much good when the broker is good at hiding his money and I can't find any to garnish. My attorney told me it would cost another $5000.00 to get and attorney in MO., plus a bond for the value amount of the boat, a week or two out of town expenses, travel, plus court costs. I might also be able to get rembursed for the payments for the last couple of years, since Nathan knew about it for a few months after buying it. I'm getting tired of spending hard earned cash for no results, just paper from a court. I am just starting a new bussiness and money is tight. Tom

Audiofn 03-18-2005 01:21 PM

Man that blows. Hope you get your boat back. Sucks for the new guy but he did buy it with out title....... Good luck

Jon

Chris288 03-18-2005 01:24 PM

if the guy is using the boat, I'd bet the OSO detective team could find that boat in a heart-beat,, if someone hasn't already seen it... post some pics..

DollaBill 03-18-2005 01:27 PM

Take this bull by the horns and eff it like it needs to be done!!!! I wish I was in the area. Sell the boat to an OSO member for a buck that lives there and someone will get the boat. I'd do it but I'm pretty far. Once the boat is in "safe"custody sell it back to you for the buck. Otherwise, just get in the car and make it a road trip.

t500hps 03-18-2005 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by TRichter
Hey Russ, I don't want to go to jail over this, I just want my boat back so I can get out from under the payments. $910.00 plus insurance

Like Chris288 said....someone has seen this boat. The board can do alot of the detective work for you if you ask. Sue "Nathan" to produce proper documentation that he owns the boat, because you have proper documentation that shows YOU own the boat. A simple title search should sort that one out.
Nathan can then sue the broker and get a worthless piece of paper instead of you holding it.
I'm real easy to get along with, but if you screw me that bad, I won't sleep until I get restitution.
Good Luck.

thunderusone 03-18-2005 01:53 PM

Possesion is 9/10 of the law. If you have the boat, you can negotiate the rest. You are guaranteed to get nothing but more attorney bills if you don't get the boat.....unfortunately, as you have already found out...you can't get blood from a Turnip....judgements are great if you can actually collect on them....there are some folks in law enforcement hear that might be able to help you locate it.....off the record of course! I feel for you...I have had other friends with similar circumstances over the years......there are so many con-artists in this industry....there are some good ones too.

TRichter 03-18-2005 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Chris288
if the guy is using the boat, I'd bet the OSO detective team could find that boat in a heart-beat,, if someone hasn't already seen it... post some pics..

Here is a pic, Nathan told me he powdercoated the rails purple, maybe the fairing also? TX 5344 HH Serial# FGQ32081F394 White MYCO trailer, Thanks, he should be running it Easter weekend at Lake Of The Ozarks!

Sean H 03-18-2005 02:03 PM

put a pic up or email me a pic.... i am going to LOTO tonight and i will be back home sunday... areas aren't that big... i won't need the PSD 250 for a 32 fountain... that's like pulling a 22 crownline... if it is in Lee's Summit it won't be hard to track down and i went to high school with a county deputy... but a pic would help a lot, all those fountains look the same and everybody has one..... :D :evilb:

FASTTIMES 03-18-2005 02:06 PM

Am I missing something?? If you are making the payments and have the title that is in your name, what is stopping you from going and getting YOUR boat??? Like I said, maybe I am missing something but I would think you have every right to go hook on to it ..

tomtbone1993 03-18-2005 02:07 PM

Sean H you may need the PSD to stop it :eek: trust me on that one....

Ron P 03-18-2005 02:25 PM

You have the phone number name and address of the guy who bought it?

He's ****ting a brick right now, as he has a loan on it also.

Someone needs a good beating and this guy is an idiot for paying for it prior to getting the title.

enticer 03-18-2005 02:32 PM

BEEN THERE DONE THAT..just talked to the investigator for the District Attorney (in Oshkosh) on Wednesday. Got the boat back, sold it and still am going for the remainder of the money owed me.
GO GET THE BOAT, but call and ask for assistance form the local law enforcement. They like to throw their weight around when it comes to things like this

TRichter 03-18-2005 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P
You have the phone number name and address of the guy who bought it?

He's ****ting a brick right now, as he has a loan on it also.

Someone needs a good beating and this guy is an idiot for paying for it prior to getting the title.

Yes I DO, the phone is his cell though, I do have his address and a copy of Insurance with his agents name, but his agent won't tell me where it's kept at. His loan is with the boat broker, he put $51,000.00 down with a balance of 16,000.00 but quit paying on it when the broker couldn't produce the title when he wanted to pay it off, called me to see if he could get title and I told him no way, told him if he would pay me $62,000.00 then I would and he could go after the broker. Since then I've paid another $25,000 in payments.

OldSchool 03-18-2005 02:59 PM

This one is VERY simple. Go get your boat!!!!!!!!!

Cat man do 03-18-2005 03:04 PM

MAN DUDE GO GET YOUR BOAT AND STOP AT THE SPORTING GOODS STORE AND BUY SOME PERSWADERS! IM SURE SOME ONE KNOWS THIS GUY
:evilb: :evilb: