Thru-hull exhaust questions

Notices

Thru-hull exhaust questions

Old 04-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thru-hull exhaust questions

I want to change my thru-prop exaust over to silent choice. Any tips on drilling the 4" holes,type of sealer, is there a special jig or something? Thanks
Old 04-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts
Default Re: Thru-hull exhaust questions

Easiest way to figure out where to cut the holes is to get some of the 4" exhaust hose and install it on the manifolds.....the hose will naturaly line up where it needs to be on the boat. You can outline that with a marker and drill yourself a small pilot hole from the inside of the boat. Then on the outside you get a bunch of the painters blue masking tape and mask it up around where you will be cutting to keep the gel from chipping. When you have cut your hole, insert the tips loosely to drill any screw holes you may need. Then peel the tape from the outside into the hole to keep from pulling any gel away. Mix yourself up some fiberglass resin and get a disposable small paint brush and seal up any of the freshly cut glass that you see there. As for sealing the tips......best bet would probably be the 3m 4200 fast cure. The 5200 is way to strong and if you need to remove the tip in the future you will rip gel/glass along with the tips!
Good luck. Measure twice and take your time

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a hole saw to drill the wholes, make sure it is deep enough to go all the way through. If not after you get part way through you can pop the piece out carefully with a screw driver and then drill through the rest of the way, dont try and drill from both sides it doesnt work very well at all. start with the drill in reverse until you get through the gelcoat (this prevents cracking the gelcoat) then switch the drill to foward for the rest of the way through. the silent choice setup should coem with a template but dont just pop it on drill you need to make sure you can route the exhuast to where you want to mount the tips, some custom pipes or flex tube may be neccesary to get it all lined up. make sure you thouroughly think the routing out though before you drill cuase there aint no turning back you may need to spread the tips further apart then shown on the template to clear everything depending on your setup. Baot life makes a sealant called life seal that works great and comes in clear white and black and you can get it as west marine or boat us stores. I think that answers all of your questions if not let me know.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And what wally said about sealing the transom inside the holes is very important too. I have found the drill in reverse mthod to work better then tape but doing both wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Yes i forgot the drill in reverse thing........its second nature to me now so i tend to forget little things like that! Good catch there hillbilly24!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Last edited by Wally; 04-14-2005 at 03:26 PM. Reason: my poor spelling!!!
Old 04-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, great info. Great site!!!