Outdrive clanking?? >

Outdrive clanking??

Notices

Outdrive clanking??

Old 05-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Outdrive clanking??

you just payed for that extended warranty, it is thru Merc isn't it ? not an aftermarket
Old 05-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
Formula31... I still have some gas money.. when we going to Put In Bay or Kelley's?????????? Never been to Kelley's.
Both, but im not in the water yet, still working at it.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Registered

I just went through the same problem, Merc shipped a new outdrive, I spoke to Merc a couple of times regarding this failure and can't believe how well they handle this problem. I wish other companies stood behind their product like Merc.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by flimflam
I just went through the same problem, Merc shipped a new outdrive, I spoke to Merc a couple of times regarding this failure and can't believe how well they handle this problem. I wish other companies stood behind their product like Merc.
Its very very rare to hear of any good experiences with Merc. You must be blessed or work for them or something.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Exactly what happened when I chewed the crap out of my upper gear set.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
you just payed for that extended warranty, it is thru Merc isn't it ? not an aftermarket
It is aftermarket thru Passport. They are going to replace it with a rebuilt one. The place working on it calls me and tells me this and then says they are getting $6400.00 to buy a rebuild. I told them they could buy new for this price and probably have money left over for me to put in my pocket. Well this blew there mind. I guess most people just want there boat fixed and don't think about how much money the place doing the work is going to make off of the warranty that I bought. I have a felling this is going to get ugly.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula31
Its very very rare to hear of any good experiences with Merc. You must be blessed or work for them or something.
I have to say my experience with them is the opposite of what you are saying. I worked for a few years at a merc platnium rated dealer and they were carte blanche with the warranty. They often covered things that were well out of warranty and called it "cutomer realtions" I have personally installed 7 B III drives on the same boat that blows em up every few months, all covered under warranty. stock power package, the boat just needs a B II, it weighs like 9k and has a single engine. They payed for an HP500 that burned a whole throught he cylinder wall between 3 and 5, the motor had 210 hours on it and the problem was clearly from poor/stale fuel. I have seen them cover couplers with 200-300 hours on them that clearly failed due to lack of lube or misalingnment. In every questionable situation, they would send our area rep out, Bruce King, but the decisions were ALWAYS made on the side of the customer. maybe it's the rep that makes the diffrence but I have nothing but good things to say about how Merc stands behind thier product.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bikinilover
It is aftermarket thru Passport. They are going to replace it with a rebuilt one. The place working on it calls me and tells me this and then says they are getting $6400.00 to buy a rebuild. I told them they could buy new for this price and probably have money left over for me to put in my pocket. Well this blew there mind. I guess most people just want there boat fixed and don't think about how much money the place doing the work is going to make off of the warranty that I bought. I have a felling this is going to get ugly.
I would fond someone else to work on your boat, I'm willing to bet the plan was to buy the cheapest rebuilt they could find and pocket the rest themselves. If they cheat insurance/warranty companys like that, how do you think they treat you ? the shop I worked for did the job the right way, and charged the warranty company what we would charge anyone for the same job. If the warrant company didn't want the old parts back, such as your lower unit wich is still useable it just need a thourogh cleaning and inspection, we would offer the customers their parts or money for them if we could use them. We didn't offer market value but we gave them the choice instead of shutting our mouths and holding on to parts that rightfully bleong to the cutomer. And whatever youdo, don't get caught doing any backroom deals where you and the shop overcharge the warranty company and then split the diffrence between you, if you get caught your going to jail not just paying back the money.