Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil cooler to filter instead of Filter to oil cooler? >

Oil cooler to filter instead of Filter to oil cooler?

Notices

Oil cooler to filter instead of Filter to oil cooler?

Old 06-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil cooler to filter instead of Filter to oil cooler?

Wobble, I do not understand why an oil cooler could not be cleaned up when you can take a block that had a bearing let loose be cleaned up.

After I had just typed the above the answer to your wonderment may be the motor never got cleaned up correctly?
Old 06-25-2005, 03:07 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil cooler to filter instead of Filter to oil cooler?

Originally Posted by Turbojack
Wobble, I do not understand why an oil cooler could not be cleaned up when you can take a block that had a bearing let loose be cleaned up.

After I had just typed the above the answer to your wonderment may be the motor never got cleaned up correctly?

Turbo,

If you opened up a typical marine oil cooler, you would see that a thorough cleaning is likely to be a hit and miss affair.

Maybe hooking one to a transmission line cleaner as ARTIC suggests would work.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Oil cooler to filter instead of Filter to oil cooler?

Originally Posted by Wobble
Turbo,

If you opened up a typical marine oil cooler, you would see that a thorough cleaning is likely to be a hit and miss affair.

Maybe hooking one to a transmission line cleaner as ARTIC suggests would work.
It's a PITA to do effectively..it can be sent out to these guys listed below...but it is not cheap.

Heat Exchanger
(Oil Cooler) Cleaning
Lube oil, BFP, & H2 seal oil coolers are baked in a high PH Chemical solution for 12 hours, then at a low ph for 3 hours. The ph of the solution is brought to neutral(7-8Ph). The cooler would then be pulled from cleaning vat and sprayed with a high-pressure washer to remove loose debris and excess chemicals. After this, each individual tube is rodded out with pneumatic drill brush. Tubes may be tested for leaks and if necessary, plugs may be installed on site.

http://www.coolercleaning.com/

You can see below why they are hard to clean...
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Re: Oil cooler to filter instead of Filter to oil cooler?

Originally Posted by Wobble
I respect everyones opinions stated here. Still, if you grenade a motor, most likely the filter will stop up and then bypass allowiing metal into the cooler, even with careful flushing the cooler can not be considered clean. Running the filter after the cooler with a rebuilt motor and the origional cooler seems like a prudent step. We have done this in many race cars over the years. It's a given that oil filters will bypass some oil if you rev a cold motor hard.

That is why we allways warm our motors as much as possible before running them hard. I feel like you are improving your odds this way if you don't buy a new cooler with your rebuilt motors. There have been several threads here where rebuilt motors have had bearing failures soon after rebuild. You have to wonder.
Yea, I was one of those persons....my motor lasted about 1hr after a rebuild. The second time around I was'nt as lucky. Chewed up the crank pretty bad.