Cost of repower? >

Cost of repower?

Notices

Cost of repower?

Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost of repower?

I was reading the engine building links from the site sponsors and I nearly fell over.

$30 K +/- per motor for new power?
Some motors were up in the $50k-$80k range???

$110k + for Stearlings???

What are realistic price points and popular power packages?
Are people really paying these prices?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cost of repower?

People with deep pockets, and a strong desire to go fast!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

30k$ use to sound insane for a turnkey medium hp motor but after building my 540 2 years ago,upgrading it and freshening it more this year and looking at bolt on's like the supercharger,exhaust,oil system,motor mounts,fuel system etc it seems real reasonable. When these shops build a 30 or 40 thousand dollar motor they are not making 15 thousand $ from it,they are making a modest markup on parts(alot of times just charging you what you would pay just about at any speed shop or less) and if everything works perfect/every part fits they make there labor for time involved. There was a article in powerboat magazine where Teague charged a guy 52 thousand dollars to juice up his 38 ft fountain,i about fell over but by the time i got done reading the article it made sense,especially after seeing the breakdown of the final bill,Smitty
Old 06-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Registered

I just spent $30K for my new motor & rigging and that was a deal... The motor alone would have been $30K plus the rigging.

Larry Peto (same engine builder as Predetor) 496mag HO ported & polished and everything else inside built to the max with a Whipple 3300sc supercharger.

765hp @ 5585 with 7.5lbs of boost on dyno.

Then came a new XR drive, 2" shorter Imco lower, full hydro steering, other misc items and a couple of props.

The cash goes quick...
Old 06-22-2005, 01:13 AM
Registered

So this was installed then?
but how much rigging was needed, or did your existing accessories work?
and then the new outdrive was on top of the $30K?

I'd like to see the build sheet on a $30k or $50k motor.

I had a (westcoast) Nascar shop build my current racecar motor and the labor bill to custom machine and fit everything paled compared to these motors, and that was a 600 hp SBC
(for that matter the parts list paled in comparison of $$ too and this one was started from a new block)

Originally Posted by betitbig
I just spent $30K for my new motor & rigging and that was a deal... The motor alone would have been $30K plus the rigging.

Larry Peto (same engine builder as Predetor) 496mag HO ported & polished and everything else inside built to the max with a Whipple 3300sc supercharger.

765hp @ 5585 with 7.5lbs of boost on dyno.

Then came a new XR drive, 2" shorter Imco lower, full hydro steering, other misc items and a couple of props.

The cash goes quick...
Old 06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Registered

Yes the drive and everything else was on top of... $$$

You figure a 496mag HO will cost you $7k range used and $12k range new. Then add all of the internals at about $3k to $4k then the whipple at $7k machine work and building $4k to $5k other BS $2k to $3k and walla...

$7k to $12k
$3k to $4k
$6k to $7k
$4k to $5K
$2k to $3k

$22k to $31k There you go...
Old 06-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A good short block getting parts at decent deals can set you back 6-10g's
aftermarket block-2400$
decent midgrade crank-1800$
decent rods-1000$
oil pan -750$
pump -75$
oil pick-up-90$
pistons-750$
rings 225$
cam-350$
lifters475$
coat pistons and skirts including s/h-550$
hex-adjust chain and gears-135$
aluminum timing cover-80$
main studs-100$
oil pan bolt kit-35$
balancer-300$
balancer bolt-15$
gskt kit-100$
balance job-225$
billet flywheel-225$
flywheel bolts 15$
cam brgs &freeze plugs-35$
plateau hone block w/torque plate-175$
h-series rod and mn brgs-80$
upgrade wristpins-125$
final deck block-125$
re-line hone block after installing studs-150$
misc crap-cleaning solvent,assembly lube,ring seating compound,silicone sealer etc-50$
shop labor-install/fit cam brgs-40$
Just a quick tally of what i have in my short block,decent parts,zero-gap rings,no chinese junk but no winberg or la kryptonite cranks either puts me past 10,200$ and thats just things i can remember-if a shop marked these parts up 20% and charged you 500$ to trial fit and final asemble this short block would be over 13000$,add another 5500$ for a procharger and 6000$ worth of heads,rocker arms,pushrods,head studs,valve covers,good valve train pieces,chamber coatings,hard coatings and i'm past 21,700$(still doing everything myself as far as assembly). Add in a set of 700$ fuel injectors,600$ worth of msd distributer,box & coil,100$ set of taylor wires,1000$ worth of dyno time/custom computer programing and I'm past 24000$ and thats not including parts that didn't fit or work,100's of hours ordering parts,fitting parts,trial fitting parts or final assembling anything.Add-3000$ for stainles hi-tq 3 exhaust or cmi's w/tails,1000$ worth of AN fittings and hose,300 $ oil cooler,100$ billet block adapter,700$ worth of fuel pump and regulators and We are getting real close to 30,000$,Add another 10,000k for a max machine worx drive(i actually have 2,1's a spare but we won't include that) and now we are pushing 40,000$. Sure,you could buy a bunch of chinese parts and use a stock block,compromise alot of things but this is just a rough tally of what I've done,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Cost of repower?-dsc02948.jpg   Cost of repower?-dsc02947.jpg   Cost of repower?-dsc02946.jpg  

Old 06-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Registered

Smitty, while you might think your list I good, you still have come up a little short... You forgot another $10k for loctite. LOL
Old 06-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=sutphen30]smitty
then after all that,,your motor is still no more reliable than a stock hp500 and a whipple atop of it..alot of us have proven the stock stuff up to 900hp,there abouts.big bucks,best parts,,don't guarentee longevity.i've seen some of the so call chinese junk hold up better than a couple of certain over priced usa stuff.kind of a running joke in the shop. [/QUOTE

The purpose of the part by part breakdown w/prices i posted was to show dregsz how you could easily spend 30K building a reliable 950hp blower with middle of the road parts,not to say "look how much money i pissed away".Yes,you could save a few thousand by using imported chinese parts and exceeding their rated power level,and on the other hand you could spend another 10K$ buying very top of the line parts.
The list of parts was over last 5 years,you start by bolting procharger on stock motor,then it just escalates every year from there . When i was Dyno testing some circle track motors at Baker engineering they had a LONG row of broken stock 1053 bbc cranks from marine motors,everything has it 's limits.I agree a guy can build a marine blower motor full of chinese parts if your racing consist of little 1 or 2 minute races and probably be fine,Ive held my boat wfo for 28 miles before so i choose middle of the road parts for extra insurance.The majority of reputable marine engine building shops start straying away from cheap imported cranks and rods when the horsepower goes above 600. I have built ALOT of circle track motors and had very few break(usually stupidity on drivers part). I have also went out on the track and helped the clean-up crew pick up opponents chinese eagle rods off the track before too.
I could have used all my gen 6 stuff i have left over and made 700 hp but i was looking to step it up a few notches, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 06-22-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Registered

I had an Eagle 4340 crank and 3d H beams in a road race motor. that went 3 seasons until the seasoned 400 block (377)finally laid down.
I ran that motor through 4.10 gears at 4000-7500 RPM every lap for 3 years. with good finishes
Took the parts out and they were in sill great shape. the main jornals needed a turn because the block mains cracked and the caps walked at #2 and #3, but I can't blame that on eagle.

But...
If you're spending big money on a BBC may as well shell out a couple more grand for Callies, Lunati, Carillo, HTC, Crower.

Quick Reply: Cost of repower?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.