Notices

The Rtech/Konrad Conversion

Old 07-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The Rtech/Konrad Conversion

some pics I had of the boat

Ernie
Attached Thumbnails The Rtech/Konrad Conversion-tomcat1.jpg   The Rtech/Konrad Conversion-tomcat2.jpg   The Rtech/Konrad Conversion-tomcat4.jpg  

Old 07-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any new update on how testing is going? Paul said he was going to Travis this weekend to the poker run.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Jack:

Lake Travis this weekend, you can talk to Paul there. He hasn't changed the pulleys yet, he's been too busy helping to get a customer's boat sorted out. That's another story...ask him about the Conquest project.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:29 AM
Registered

What is prop shaft ht in this installation? My TRS propsafts are 9" below bottom of boat and that seems like they drives are longer than typical. ould that be cause of not reaching full WOT RPM? I'm only turning 4000RPM with same props (21P Mirage) as I had on old drives.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tomcat, it's good to see people breathing new life into old gals. Nice work.

My '86 10-Meter Fountain with the Konrad conversion, Huber 950's, and a freshen-up of the motors performs and is as reliable as a new boat. All this at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

I'm interested in what you find with the P5's. I've got a set of P5X's that feel sluggish (with their larger blade surface area) when compared to my Quad IV's. By sluggish, I mean they seem to take longer to get up to rpm, and the seat-of-the-pants accelleration feel isn't there. It certainly is with the Quad IV's. I realize this isn't an apples/apples comparison (cat/v-bottom), but I'm interested in hearing about the P5's.

Nice work on your project, and welcome to the Konrad Family.

Brian
Old 07-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Fred: The latest products and projects are not on the website yet. My bad; too busy building stuff. Feel free to give me a call at (416) 709-8714.

www.rtechperformance.com

Poorsche: Propshafts were about 5" below the hull with the TRS drives, which is pretty high. Mirage props could not get on plane but Bravo props never blew out. The Konrads raise the propshaft height by 1.65" from that point. The Bravo props still planed fine, but now we are running the P5s. More testing is required, but it's poker run season so it's going to spend the summer as is. I have never seen propshafts 9" below the hull on a performance boat. Is there a spacer installed in your drives that you can remove?

Hi Brian: I hear what you're saying about extra blade area; the Mercury Maximus is even worse. Since these props were designed for stepped hulls and the aeration/slip that apparently occurs on those hulls, they may have too much blade area for other hulls. The P5 was better than the Maximus on the 32 Skater project. I suspect a four blade and a bit of spacer might have been even better, but the owner was happy with the cruising speed and he's the boss.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=tomcat]Poorsche: Propshafts were about 5" below the hull with the TRS drives, which is pretty high. Mirage props could not get on plane but Bravo props never blew out. The Konrads raise the propshaft height by 1.65" from that point. The Bravo props still planed fine, but now we are running the P5s. More testing is required, but it's poker run season so it's going to spend the summer as is. I have never seen propshafts 9" below the hull on a performance boat. Is there a spacer installed in your drives that you can remove?

QUOTE]

Ther isn't a spacer--it looks like the bottom end was replaced. I thought it was a pretty extreme distance below the hull. Did notice the TRS manual suggest a 19P propeller instead of 21P so I'm gonna try that and going to try an old TRS Cleavery that I have to see what happens.

Thanks for reply.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Registered

I assume you swapped out the GMPP cam and spring?
What did you go with?
Old 07-16-2005, 07:44 AM
Registered

Is it possible to put a TR lower on a TRS outdrive? The TR is longer and is designed to turn a larger dia. prop in cruiser applications.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Is it possible to put a TR lower on a TRS outdrive? The TR is longer and is designed to turn a larger dia. prop in cruiser applications.
That's what I was thinking... similar to Konrad's 520 vs. 540. The TR has a longer lower to support big props, up to 18" dia (like the 520 lower). The TR also has a lower "bullet" that is bigger in diameter, so if you are running a standard prop (ie: Mirage, Bravo, Hydro) there would be a noticable difference in the prop outer hub diameter and the bullet diameter. I think one would look at it and say "something ain't right here."

Does a TR lower bolt up to a TRS upper? Good question. Anyone?

FYI, the Konrad 520 and 540 lowers share the same upper.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by p4-33; 07-16-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: The Rtech/Konrad Conversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.