Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Power drops at WOT and starts rattling! >

Power drops at WOT and starts rattling!

Notices

Power drops at WOT and starts rattling!

Old 07-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Power drops at WOT and starts rattling!

ive done a few 383/ 388 sbc's and always had great luck running 700cfm holley dbl pumpers, easy to tune and will let your 383 be al it can be...
Old 07-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ratman, do they make the 700 dbl pumper in a Marine version? Also, this is probably a little overkill, but my bro-in-law flies for a living, and told me where I can buy 100 Low lead for $2.70. Premium at the Marina is probably close to that. There wouldn't be any reason not to run 100 low lead would there? Also, looking through my old carb parts still laying on my workbench from after my rebuild, I remembered that the Mercruiser kit gave me a seat with no holes in the side, but the original one had the holes. I think I am also going to put that back in. Someone mentioned I might need a bigger needle and seat to keep the float bowl full under WOT with this engine, and the seat with the holes in the side might be just the ticket.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Registered

I probably have what you need for that Quad at home. Ill post what I have tonight. Ive always had good luck getting Quad parts from Edelbrock.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can make a Q-jet work but a Holley is so much easier, it's worth the expence. Right out of the box it'll run well. Maybe a couple of jet changes. Any part you need you can get from Jegs or Summit in a day.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered

qjet parts can be bought from summitracing.com

If you rebuilt this carb and installed the new needle and seat that came in the kit, it may have been smaller than the original merc needle and seat. Going from memory, the merc seat is .135" orfice and the rebuild kits come with .125". Major difference. I installed after market needle/seats of I believe .149". I just wanted to be sure I wasn't draining the bowl. Just remember, when ever you change needle/seat size you need to make a corrisponding change to float level. This is because the pressure area the fuel is acting on to move the float is changing (diameter of seat) but the float bouyancy and fuel pressure remain the same changing the actual level at which the fuel flow will shut off to the bowl.

BT
Old 07-06-2005, 08:45 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff
Detonation due to a lean condition.

If it is, it will probably quit doing it soon, right after it burns a hole in the piston

kaboom!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Registered

Formula 31 let me know! Thanks!

Sean H......KABOOM THIS BIATCH!!!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Whenever upgrading power I always recommend going up a size or two on the fuel line from the tank to the filter and filter to the pump. Also, you may need to drill out the filter housing, the hole is pretty small and restrictive.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Registered

I'm running a 383 with a quad with no problem. The first thing you do, is get rid of that internal filter. It's too restrictive, then make sure you use the large needle and seat assy. I'm running a stock pump with 3/8" fuel lines without any problems. You'll probably have to play with your jetting. The main jets affect the overall mixture of the carb. Do a search on tuning the q-jet. There's alot of info out there. You can get parts from Carbs Unlimited: http://www.carburetion.com/quadrajet.asp

Paul
Old 07-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Registered

Re: Power drops at WOT and starts rattling!

I would scrap the Q-Jet and you best bet for a Holley on the money is Go to Nickerson Performance and have them build you a carb. They did my 650 for a modified 350. Took it to a 782 CFM and re-worked the rest of the carb and I've NEVER had a holley carb work like it. You can mess around trying to tune your Q-Jet or get a box stock holley and mess with it but you will never equal what Nickerson will do for you. You wouldn't try re-pitching your prop. As someone else always says just my .02 cents.

Last edited by Badtoon; 07-06-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Power drops at WOT and starts rattling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.