242LS - Mystery wire - revisited >

242LS - Mystery wire - revisited

Notices

242LS - Mystery wire - revisited

Old 07-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 242LS - Mystery wire - revisited

I had a previous thread and got responses that my wire is for the buzzer circuit and was told that it goes to water temp and oil sender. I already have tan/blue wires at those locations. It appears that the wire that is not connected is the tan wire with a blue stripe that goes up to the helm. I assume that it connects to the buzzer. If I take it to ground I get no buzz. Does anyone know where the tan/bl wire connects the other tan/bl wires on the engine sensors. Thanks, Jimmy
Old 07-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts
Default Re: 242LS - Mystery wire - revisited

usually the senders are sending the ground signal to either the gauges or buzzer.....so in your case you would need the buzzer to have 12V+ fromthe ignition on the hot side and the tan/blue wire should have a ground being sent from the sending unit when the engine is off or if overheated to trigger the buzzer. .....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Young
If I take it to ground I get no buzz. Thanks, Jimmy
Did you have the ignition on AND also hold it to ground for at least 10 seconds( a lot have a delay ckt built in so it doesn't alarm while starting).
Old 07-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Registered

I am tinkering with this as we speak. I have taken the tan/blue wire to ground at the buzzer for a long time and I never get 12 volts across the positive side of the buzzer. I think the component that delays the 12 volts is burned out. I have 12 volts to it but never get 12 volts out to the buzzer even when given a ground for over a minute. Does a buzzer normally buzz if the key is left on for a long time because of the oil pressure sender reading 0 oil pressure. Mine never has and it seems that it would.. Also how would you check if the water temp switch is functioning. I assume that if the temp reaches a certain temp is goes to ground.

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 07-11-2005, 11:58 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I am tinkering with this as we speak. I have taken the tan/blue wire to ground at the buzzer for a long time and I never get 12 volts across the positive side of the buzzer. I think the component that delays the 12 volts is burned out. I have 12 volts to it but never get 12 volts out to the buzzer even when given a ground for over a minute. Does a buzzer normally buzz if the key is left on for a long time because of the oil pressure sender reading 0 oil pressure. Mine never has and it seems that it would.. Also how would you check if the water temp switch is functioning. I assume that if the temp reaches a certain temp is goes to ground.

Thanks
Jimmy
My boat normally takes about 40 seconds before buzzer goes off on the ignition being turned on but not started. In my case that means no oil pressure or fuel pressure(added this switch to existing warning system).Also added a automotive backup beeper which I can switch off because I can't hear standard buzzer at speed.

During rebuild I dipped the high temp switch into almost boiling water and got continuity, otherwise you never know if it works.

But to answer your question, your buzzer should go off when key is left on for say 20 seconds to a minute or so, indicating no oil pressure. Don't know if this is true for later motors with the smart monitoring.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Registered

Here's a picture of the buzzer on my 242.
Attached Thumbnails 242LS - Mystery wire - revisited-dscn2156.jpg  
Old 07-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was built in 98 and both my engine buzzers sound the second the key is turned to ignition and stop after they fire up.

Take a VOM and check impedance to ground with engine on/off. Should show open when running and closed when shut off (from the tan W/blue wire.

Make sure you have 12vdc to the + side of the buzzer and hook a temp ground to the negative side if after a minute (assuming this style buzzer has a time delay) it does not work replace it.

BTW I rather know RIGHT NOW if I lost pressure not 30 or 40 sec later. It’s no problem hearing the buzzer while I start.

EDIT!
I just read the posts below I do not have or have I had experience with the delay buzzer! I can only assume it has a +12vdc to ignition a ground and a trigger ground. If this is the case I can't see a thing wrong with it and you would loose the buzz before you start. The only possible downfall would be no way of knowing if is not working unless you test it every now and then.

Last edited by Scott; 07-12-2005 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Registered

So would it be adviseable to wire around the delay module and just give the buzzer 12 v off of the key.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:26 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

So would it be adviseable to wire around the delay module and just give the buzzer 12 v off of the key.
If that works for you, after the initial delay for start up, the warning system shoould sound as soon as there is a fault (switch going to ground)