one-time salt water - worth it? >

one-time salt water - worth it?

Notices

one-time salt water - worth it?

Old 07-13-2005, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one-time salt water - worth it?

I have run exclusively on inland lakes with my 496HO. Am considering trailering the boat to Maine for my million-dollar vacation. Would you use the boat in the ocean for the two weeks, knowing it'll likely never see salt water again? I know the closed cooling should help and that I can flush the drive after each use, but am wondering whether the greater risk of corrosion is worth it. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: one-time salt water - worth it?

Coming from a guy who has been boating exclusively in salt water for 8 years, you have nothing to worry about. We have to install fresh water flush kits and flush the engine after running all day, but that's about it. For two weeks, you have nothing to worry about..just flush it before you go back home, the fresh water running you'll do when you get home will more than finish the job. I know that you fresh water guys hear crazy horror stories but, like anywhere else, if you just perform regular maintenance you're fine. Enjoy yourself !
Old 07-13-2005, 11:51 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: one-time salt water - worth it?

DO IT! What are the chances you'll be at the ocean with your boat again? Enjoy the h3ll out of it and then wash the h3ll out of it when your done. You can find 5 year old salt water boats that are in good shape from this kinda use (although I'll admit many others show the signs of saltwater)
The sea air won't do damage in 2 weeks, letting salt spray sit for weeks of the hull/ fittings will. Just wash the outsides down each day of use and where/if ever the spray lands in the interior. When you get back home then wash EVERYTHING! and you'll be fine.
Have fun!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I took mine to Fla for the winter...sprayed the entire engine comp with WD-40 before...Flushed & washed after every use.Used Salt Away
No problem at all....
Old 07-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's something no one has mentioned here... what's your trailer made of? Steel? Or worse, tube steel?

If your trailer is tube steel, I would NOT under any circumstances dunk it in salt water. There is no way to flush out the insides off the tubes, and it will rot and break in half within a couple of years. "C-channel" or "I-beam" steel can be washed sufficiently to avoid long-term damage.

Do you have sling slots? Slinging it off with a Travel Lift isn't too difficult, back on isn't as much fun, but do-able.

If no sling slots, it would need to be lifted by the transom eyes and bow eye. Make sure these are in good shape and servicable. Also call ahead and find a marina willing to do it.

If your trailer is aluminum or galvanized, have a blast! Flush the motors after each use and enjoy that "million-dollar vacation".

Of course, for a million bucks, you could set yourself up with a nice aluminum trailer after you return home, and go back every year.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by p4-33; 07-13-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:39 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bouncedcheque
I have run exclusively on inland lakes with my 496HO. Am considering trailering the boat to Maine for my million-dollar vacation. Would you use the boat in the ocean for the two weeks, knowing it'll likely never see salt water again? I know the closed cooling should help and that I can flush the drive after each use, but am wondering whether the greater risk of corrosion is worth it. Thanks.
Make sure you have a VHF radio and GPS with current info. Look out for those big bumps in the water
Old 07-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

YOUR BOAT WILL IMMEDIATLY DISINTEGRATE WHEN IT TOUCHES SALT WATER!

I boat in brackish and salt water all the time. Don't sweat it.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Registered

I prefer fresh water any day, but since I live only about 3 miles from the Pacific Ocean, 90% of the time that is where I take it. I have no problems. I even have raw water cooling. Just rinse it well.

As for my trailer. Since it is made of steel, salt will attack any unpainted surface like fly's on sh*t. Pay attention to welded spots, and just make sure it is coated well with paint. My trailer looks just as good as the day I bought it...(well, almost).

PS........one thing nice about the ocean is once your past the break wall, "NO SPEED LIMIT".....hell, you can even gamble legally once your a few miles from shore.

I would advise signing up for some type of membership to a "On-the-Water Towing Service". It can get real expensive if you need a tow. I pay about $120 a year. And saved at least $2500 last year alone if I had not have had it...just my 2 cents.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vandeano
As for my trailer. Since it is made of steel, salt will attack any unpainted surface like fly's on sh*t. Pay attention to welded spots, and just make sure it is coated well with paint. My trailer looks just as good as the day I bought it...(well, almost).
What style of steel... tube, c-channel?

The problem with tube steel is that there is no way to paint the insides, and most trailer manufacturers cut holes in the rear/bottom to allow them to drain when coming out of the water. This allows salt to contact and attack the unpainted surfaces inside. There's also no good way to wash out these tubes.

Just Don't Do It.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 07-13-2005, 02:58 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What part of Maine? going in at ocean or via river? Not sure where your from but just pay attention to your charts - we're kinda rocky between islands and close to shore up this way

Quick Reply: one-time salt water - worth it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.