Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil pushing out dipstick on new motor? >

Oil pushing out dipstick on new motor?

Notices

Oil pushing out dipstick on new motor?

Old 07-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Oil pushing out dipstick on new motor?

Just working the bugs out of my new power. The port motor this weekend was pushing oil out of the dipstick while running even at low rpm, 2500. The problem has gotten worse with more running. At first there was no oil blowing out, now is a real mess, lost about a quart in 3 hrs. of easy running. Of course I was thinking the worst, problem with ring failure. But, while running I raised the hatch a observed a steady stream of oil coming out of the dipstick I removed one of the valve cover breathers and there was a soft pop with air rushing out with the breather off, oil quit coming out of the dipstick. I put my hand over the valve cover and observe the amount of air coming out of the cover. The amount of air coming out is similar to the air coming out of the other side. This morning, I remained calm and looked at the breather, a cheesy Mr. Gasket with the foam inside. I tried to blow through the breather and barely could get any air through it. And there was no oil going into the hose leading to the breather. The breathers on the other side were much easier to push air through. The motors are stock 454 mag short blocks, brodix al. heads, weiand 177's, full roller valve trains, and both run very well. I think that these breathers have progressively gotten stopped up with oil/condensation and caused this situation, am I thinking to positive?
Attached Thumbnails Oil pushing out dipstick on new motor?-port-motor-jpeg.jpg  

Last edited by SkiDoc; 07-20-2005 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 07-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil pushing out dipstick on new motor?

In some engine cases a vac pump is required. You can put a blowby gauge on one of the valve covers and that will tell you how pressurized the crank case is.

Chris
Old 07-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Check how much breather area you have you may need to open the breather area up for the engine to relieve some crankcase press specially if the engine is new and the rings aren't seated yet I run minimum 2 1.5 breather tubes per engine with the filter element this works well . I know sometimes the covers come with no holes and guys don't open them enough if you continue to have that maybe do a leak down test and make sure everything is ok. Good luck Laz
Old 07-20-2005, 08:38 AM
Registered

If you have excessive blowby will you see residue smoke in the exhaust as well? My exhaust has no oil residue at all.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Registered

do a leakdown & you will sleep better!! I think your on the right track with the breather situation.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:44 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a breather situation. But do the leakdown for peice of mind!!

Hey Laz....I got a t-shirt from you in Miami....you only had larges left and my gut says XL. Got any now?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:33 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies, I got to go out this weekend, and after taking the clogged foam out of the Mr. Gasket breathers, there was no oil pushing out. I don't know how to do leak down, but just compression test was fine. The Mr. Gaskets have to go. I have some of the standard rectangular breathers, but I want to keep oil from misting into the bilge......any suggestions?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your breather is completely clogged, the crankcase pressure has to go somewhere. The dipsticktube is the only place it can go. If the problem goes away by replacing a cheap breather, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
If your breather is completely clogged, the crankcase pressure has to go somewhere. The dipsticktube is the only place it can go. If the problem goes away by replacing a cheap breather, I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree,

replace it with a cheap breather to fix the pressure problem then do some research and find you a filter with a little chrome class.. Got chrome??

By the way, motor looks good
Old 08-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I mounted 1" pipes 8" tall in my valve covers,put pipe couplers on them on top and painted it all black,k/n 1 1/2 breathers clamp onto the tubes perfect and as cobbled as it sounds it looks good. When i reached 110 hours last time on motor it started to vent a little tiny bit of oil out breathers,i then rolled up scotch brite pads and inserted them in breather tubes to help seperate oil mist until i pulled motor and freshened it. Blower motors are real hard on ring seal,a vaccuum pump might help too but you better vent it to a puke tank with a drain,Smitty
If you click on the picture and enlarge it you'll see the vent tube right behind the blower inlet and right behind the innercooler tube coming frim innercooler to get get a idea of what i mean. The circle track racers been running tall breather tubes for years around here.
Attached Thumbnails Oil pushing out dipstick on new motor?-picture-2-007.jpg  

Last edited by articfriends; 08-16-2005 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil pushing out dipstick on new motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.