Oil temp or oil pressure - gauges? >

Oil temp or oil pressure - gauges?

Notices

Oil temp or oil pressure - gauges?

Old 08-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil temp or oil pressure - gauges?

Originally Posted by Wobble
Min. amount would be tach, oil pressure, water temp. desirable options would be oil temp, fuel pressure, water pressure. IMO

I would agree with his selection. This past year on some advice I changed my oil from 20w50 to straight 40w. I got into some warmer water and saw my oil pressure was no longer able to hold the min 10psi per 1,000 rpm. Sure enough, my oil temps were spiked. I was able to back off the throttle to maintain the 10psi min and save the weekend. Autometer also makes a idiot light system that I highly recommend. The system will add lights and/or a siren for up to three gauges. I used some small recessed led's for the lights. The alarm point is set with a small screwdriver and is viewed on the gauge. An extra sending unit is not needed as the box receives it's signal from the gauge.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Registered

Where would you locate the sender for oil temp? My under-hatch room is pretty restricted (29' Powerquest), I'm not sure I could reach the pan if that is where it goes.

I've actually got a fair amount of dashboard real estate. I'm thinking of doing away with the speedo altogether and replacing it with a GPS/chartplotter, then putting the tachs to either side, like so:
Attached Thumbnails Oil temp or oil pressure - gauges?-pq-dash-1.jpg  
Old 08-05-2005, 12:36 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Where would you locate the sender for oil temp? My under-hatch room is pretty restricted (29' Powerquest), I'm not sure I could reach the pan if that is where it goes.

I've actually got a fair amount of dashboard real estate. I'm thinking of doing away with the speedo altogether and replacing it with a GPS/chartplotter, then putting the tachs to either side, like so:
If "ALT PORT/ALT STBD" are voltage guages, then it may be redundant to have two depending on how your battery setup is etc.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yea, only one voltage gauge. I have my temp sender mounted on the return side of the oil filter adapter. I drilled my adapter for the fitting, but you could just as easily use a T fitting and have it in-line.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Registered

I currently have 2 volt gauges, I'm assuming they are measuring the output from the alternator on each engine (I drew that diagram from memory, so it may be incorrect in some respects). I'm not at all sure my batteries are wired properly, that is yet another project. Kind of figured I'd do the dash and wiring at the same time, and fix my hatch ram too (PQ is notorious for having poor hatch ram performance, for a number of reasons).
Old 08-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Registered

This brings to mind another debate - should you group gauges by engine, or by function? Put the oil temp side by side, for example, or one on each side of the dash with the other gauges for that engine? Probably depends somewhat on how your dash is laid out....
Old 08-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Registered

I did all the port gauges on the port side and all the stbd gauges on the stbd side. Wrong, to hard to see if something is amiss. Switching them this winter so each function is side by side, oil-oil, much easier to see if one engine is not behaving.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula31
I did all the port gauges on the port side and all the stbd gauges on the stbd side. Wrong, to hard to see if something is amiss. Switching them this winter so each function is side by side, oil-oil, much easier to see if one engine is not behaving.
I'm currently set up by engine, but if I redo the dash, I may just move it the other way; like you say, easier to see when something is out of whack between the two sides.