Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
wondering if anyone can help.... >

wondering if anyone can help....

Notices

wondering if anyone can help....

Old 08-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wondering if anyone can help....

hello all, not sure if this is the right board for this but in my lurking aroundon this board it seems there are quite a number of people on here that know a lot about boats....anyway, to my question...i have an old 21' sea ray sorrento with a 350chevy motor in it alpha drive that i want to pull the chevy motor out and put in a 351 windsor ford into it...i am wondering where i can get the marine bellhouseing (if there is one and im guessing there is as i have seen 5.0 ford motors in boats before and the 302/351 is the same bellhousing) also where would i get the output shaft? im planning on keeping the alpha drive as budget dictates that at this time....also the exhaust stuff i would need? im guessing but the only parts i would need that wouldnt work from the chevy would be the manifolds right?? the other exhaust stuff would work no? anything else i would need to be concerned with??? any other advice/suggestions you can offer would be great...thx any other boating boards that i should take a look at???
Old 08-03-2005, 11:57 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wondering if anyone can help....

Originally Posted by zakstang
hello all, not sure if this is the right board for this but in my lurking aroundon this board it seems there are quite a number of people on here that know a lot about boats....anyway, to my question...i have an old 21' sea ray sorrento with a 350chevy motor in it alpha drive that i want to pull the chevy motor out and put in a 351 windsor ford into it...i am wondering where i can get the marine bellhouseing (if there is one and im guessing there is as i have seen 5.0 ford motors in boats before and the 302/351 is the same bellhousing) also where would i get the output shaft? im planning on keeping the alpha drive as budget dictates that at this time....also the exhaust stuff i would need? im guessing but the only parts i would need that wouldnt work from the chevy would be the manifolds right?? the other exhaust stuff would work no? anything else i would need to be concerned with??? any other advice/suggestions you can offer would be great...thx any other boating boards that i should take a look at???
I would think you could rebuild your SBC for less than all the parts/work needed to do this conversion. Whats wrong with your present motor?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Registered

Mercury briefly used a small block Ford with an Alfa Drive and called it the "888" (8 cyl. motor rated at 188 hp). I'm sure there are lots of pieces and parts of them around in old boat graveyards. Should be just what you be looking for. --- Jer
Old 08-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Registered

.......are you crazy ???????

sorry but very bad move
Old 08-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Registered

well, im a ford guy, im not a chevy guy so to drive a boat powered by chevy motor is not for me (unless it is the 27' fountain i plan on buying someday) just personal preference is all....the motor in the boat now is rather old and i have a relativly new 351w motor sitting unused in the garage....where would i find boat "graveyards" ???
Old 08-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Registered

What Area Are You In????
Attached Thumbnails wondering if anyone can help....-42pr.jpg  
Old 08-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Registered

se minnesota
Old 08-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Registered

anyone know what years mercruiser used 351w motors in boats and what boat brands used them? wondering about finding an old donor boat to pull parts from.....also, boat junkyards that i should chk out??
Old 08-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Registered

Might want to think about how the motor is supported. Some of the SeaRays had fiberglass cradles that mounted between the stringers. Check to see if this will have to be relocated for the Ford power. Also the exhaust if it goes thru the transom may have to be relocated. Also need to think about resale if you want to step up to that Fountain. Is that 351 that you have built to marine specs? What is the lobe separation on the cam. Do you have a marine starter, alternator and distributor? If you had a complete marinized Ford 351, it would be a lot easier.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by zakstang
anyone know what years mercruiser used 351w motors in boats and what boat brands used them? wondering about finding an old donor boat to pull parts from.....also, boat junkyards that i should chk out??
Up 'til 1977.

OMC/Volvo used them up in to the 90's

Tournament ski boats used them for quite a while.

You're opening yourself up to what could be
a major project, for something thats probably
not going to net you any performance gain.

Quick Reply: wondering if anyone can help....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.