Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Merc power steering fluid leaking - Help!! >

Merc power steering fluid leaking - Help!!

Notices

Merc power steering fluid leaking - Help!!

Old 08-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Merc power steering fluid leaking - Help!!

I have power steering fluid leaking down into the bilge from behind my starboard motor. I can see the two lines going to the power cylinder and I can wipe steering fluid from under the are the connect at. I don't think the connections are the problem as they feel they are are very tight. I couldn't see to much as the problem area seems to be under the exhaust... When I noticed the fluid in the bilge, I saw the steering pump was extremely low on fluid so I filled it up and ran it for a little, steering seems to work, but I can't seem to find any fluid pushing out.

Anyone know what I should look at first to test what might be the problem? So far, doesn't see to be a hose issue or pump issue.

I'm planning on spending some more time on it tomorrow, hopefully I can add some more insight into the situation.

Thanks for your comments!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Merc power steering fluid leaking - Help!!

How old is your boat? Some off the older boats had exhaust leaks just above the steering cylinder. This would drip hat salt water down on the cylinder and they would sometimes rust and get pin holes in them. If this isn't the deal then make sure the hoses are tight and are not leaking were the hose and the fitting are crimped together. Also check the cooler for fun if its mounted on the back of the motor.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Registered

Default Re: Merc power steering fluid leaking - Help!!

Boat is a 94, spent it's life in Michigan, fresh water all it's life. I did run my hand across the bottom of the oil cooler and didn't come with any fluid. I thought that might be an issue as well right away as I had just replaced an impeller on that engine and had to get into the oil cooler for the missing impeller pieces, thought maybe I pulled the hose loose or something... again, no signs of oil on the oil cooler....
Old 08-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Registered

Looking at the hoses, might be leaking where the hose is crimped onto the the end fitting, not totally sure though. What is proper procedure for testing this out? Start engine and turn wheel to see if anything pumps out, easy as that or does turning to a certain side provide greater pressure?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Registered

Mine had a similar leak a couple years ago and it drove me nuts trying to find it. The steering ram on the back was leaking. If you touched under the ram there was fluid. Never shot out or squirted just a small leak and it would drip down another hose and end up in the bilge. Replaced that steering ram no more leak.