Bilge seems to run all the time >

Bilge seems to run all the time

Notices

Bilge seems to run all the time

Old 08-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilge seems to run all the time

i have a 95 Fountain 24CS. Every time i go out water seems to get into the bilge and the auto bilge turns on and takes care of it. this happens a handful of times during a day on the lake. I dont know if i should be worried about this. i assume it is leaking in somewhere (tabs, drive, etc) but have no idea. its not the plug, b/c i had a new one put in. in retrospect that was probly stupid b/c water is still coming in and the plug was probly fine to begin with.

even after running the bilge, if i take the boat out and remove the plug tons of water comes out. boat is on a lift and the plug is impossibly located on this boat to take out when its on the lift.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan
Old 08-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Bilge seems to run all the time

need to find it ... #1 ..boat might sink .... #2 where ever the leak is ..will lead to rot .....$$$$
Old 08-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Registered

i assume i just go out in the lake and open the hatch and look for water coming in?

anything else i should do?

would a shop do anything different?"
Old 08-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Registered

When it is on the lift turn the bilge pump off and fill the bilge back up just a bit full of water and see where it is coming out that is the hill billy way but it sometimes is the easiest way to do it.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Registered

Had the same problem last year. Replaced the bellows and took care of it.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Registered

stupid question number... ahh hell i lost count...

what is a bellows?

another.... is there wood in the transom that rots? is the construction fiberglass bonded to wood or vice versa... ?

driven boats for a long time w/o knowing much... thankfully i found this site.

Thanks guys

Dan
Old 08-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Registered

Bellows are the rubber flexible tubes that surround you drivshaft to the drives. You also have bellows below the shaft which will be your exhaust bellows. Not sure about you transom bonding question but yes there is wood in your transom and stringers that can and will rot out if your leaks are severve enough and not addressed...
Old 08-09-2005, 03:14 AM
Registered

more questions (sorry... and thanks in advance)

-how could i tell if its my bellows?

-if i find the leak, what then? do i just take it to a professional? can i do something? (keep in mind i dont know what i'm doing and i own literally no tools)

-what goes into repairing a transom leak? how much $$ we talking?

Thanks a lot for the help

Dan
Old 08-09-2005, 04:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the boat on the trailer, raise the drive(s) and look between the out drive and the transom assembly. You'll see a large diameter corrugated rubber tube, that's one of two bellows. Feel around it with your hands looking for any holes or tears. Down a little lower is the shift cable which also has a small rubber bellows where it enters the transom assembly. Check that one too.

BTW stop at your local boating supply and pick up a service manual. It'll help you to see what your looking for.

If you have no experience with this take it to a mechanic.

What can you do to keep it from happening in the future?
Once the boat is parked in the yard, or wherever you keep it, lower the drive(s) until they are close to the ground. Leaving the drive(s) up in the trailering position will stretch the bellows and cause them to fail. I always lower mine once it's parked.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 945 Likes on 474 Posts

Are you the original owner? Just wondering if this has been going on from the get go. Have you had any work done recently that started this leak? Like maybe having an impellor changed on the seawater pump? Maybe they didnt tighten the hose clamps all the way down. Does you motor have the water circulation pump still on the block? Check and see if its leaking through the weep hole...maybe the pump is going bad? another trick you can try is to put a dusting of baby powder into the bilge and go out for a quick drive.....pop the hatch and see if you can locate where the water is originating from. When it comes to boats theres so many variables it can take a while to track it down. Good luck

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Quick Reply: Bilge seems to run all the time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.