Air Scoops on Sun Deck

Notices

Air Scoops on Sun Deck

Old 08-14-2005, 03:08 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Scoops on Sun Deck

I have been contimplating adding a scoop for a winter project. I have had enough of my new engine sucking in all that horsepower robbibg hot air. It has been so damn hot around here lately. But, I really dont want to totally destroy my engine hatch/ sundeck. The scoop that everyone is using seems pretty long. If I was to cut a whole in the deck that size, the deck would most likely crack in half after the first couple of jumps. I have not taken notice of how others have done this. I would imagine that all you really need is a hole cut directly over the engine, not necessarily the size of the scoop. I would think that would be enough to cool things down alot. I dont need the added height that a scoop can offer, I running a N.A. 540. How did you bolt the scoop down? I am figuring some tubing bent to shape with some brackets welded to it would do the job. Any pictures would be great.

Thanks..
Old 08-15-2005, 01:57 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Default Re: Air Scoops on Sun Deck

Ttt
Old 08-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered

I made mine removable so the boat would go into the garage. I did this by making a base on the hatch and a base inside the scoop and also used four hatch hinges with quick release pins to hold it on and fast and easy removal
Old 08-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I mounted mine from the bottom up. I have twin engines and cut two holes the size of the scoop right above the base. I then stuck the scoop up through the hatch with some glue on the bottom (bottom of the hatch, top of the base of the scoop) to make it stick, then used fiberglass to fill in the space and smoothed it out all nicy nice. Then painted and I was done. Since I didn't need the height of the scoop either, I found that this was the easiest way to do it because when I recieved the scoops, the flat base of them was all warped and it would not have bolted down flat and would have cracked if I tried to force it flat. It came out nice.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Registered

I cut the hole only about the size of the flame arrestor that would protruded through (superchargers stuck up too far).
The scoops I bought (Summit) had a flat lip at the base. That was used as a pattern to cut foam and upholstry. The lip was bolted through the hatch on top of the uphostry, that was sewn to fit the lip outline. I used plastic screw caps that matched the paint on the bolt heads.
Gary
Old 08-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i bought mine from a place in california,i looked all over to find one that was just big enough to cover the dual flame arrester,i have about 3/4" all the way around.i glassed it in,and cut the material and had the uphostry shop sew a flap around the inside so i could attach it to the hatch and keep it from moving.also didn't like all the room the harwoods from summit took up.have to look to see if i can find the paper work on it to see what the name of the company was.dave
Old 08-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

if you go in the sonic forum and type in search in the search bar winter mods on the bottom of the 4 or 5 that pop-up it's on page 3 ,if i knew how to copy and paste i would have just posted it here and when i try'd to attach it the file was to large.well i try'd.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:09 AM

any pics of the scoops?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:26 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Prowler,

Thanks for the info. That is something like what I had in mind. Large enough to let air in, but small enough not to destroy the sunpad.
Attached Thumbnails Air Scoops on Sun Deck-scoop.jpg   Air Scoops on Sun Deck-scoops.jpg   Air Scoops on Sun Deck-scoopss.jpg  

Old 08-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vinny,

Do you really think a scoop will help your performance? Most people only add one when they have hatch clearance issues. Considering the CFM your engine consumes, I not sure if you’ll see a huge benefit other than the wow factor. Maybe you could run an indoor/outdoor home temp gauge with the outdoor P/U in the engine compartment. If the temp is considerable higher than ambient air temp you might be on to something. I may try this experiment myself. Not that I'm adding a scoop, but I could feed more air in from the sides.

Quick Reply: Air Scoops on Sun Deck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.