Oil lines for Oil cooler >

Oil lines for Oil cooler

Notices

Oil lines for Oil cooler

Old 08-18-2005, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil lines for Oil cooler

I have a 1992 502 and I replaced the original oil cooler with an oil cooler from a 1999 502. My problem now is that the new oil cooler inlet and outlet connections where the oil line hoses attach to are different size fittings. I cant seem to find anyone with that type of fitting. Any suggestions? I really don't want to have to by all new hoses. But if I have to I have.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Oil lines for Oil cooler

if one has larger fittings and hoses use everything for the larger size so the engine can flow more oil. hoses and fittings cost a lot less than engine rebuilds and hard parts.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Registered

Ratman Knows.... So do i i meltoed one down from too much oil restriction.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Registered

My original cooler connection hole is twice the size as the later model cooler. What I mean is that it has about the same size nut fitting welded to it, but it is the type of fitting that is narrow in the middle. The old cooler it is just a straight open hole to the inside cooler. It is hard for me to describe but if anyone has ever seen the 2 different model coolers u would know what I'm talking about.

If what you guy say is true maybe I'm just better off just putting them on E-bay an just going with something else. Is there a cooler out there that is also built for the power steering and oil cooler all in one like the stock one?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

fred a trick has the dual cooler for oil and trans, i just bought a pair for my motors oil only and the are good looking parts that look well made. most importantly is they have large flow passages for the engine oil. don't save money on oil coolers and lines run the big stuff your motors will last longer if you do. ratman
Old 08-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Registered

Is one inverted flair (small inside hole), and the other NPT (big threaded hole)?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gary Anderson
Is one inverted flair (small inside hole), and the other NPT (big threaded hole)?
Exactly like that. Unfortunately the one that I was going to replace the old one with, is the one with the inverted flair.

I'm going to go with the advice from the others, and just go with an aftermarket one. Even if I have to get a separate power steering cooler. Since Teague Marine is near by, I'll see what they have to offer. I just rebuilt this motor and I guess this would'nt be the best time to start getting cheap.

At the current time I'm running with out a cooler. I have a temperature gage and I shut her down any time it gets near 250 degrees. So thats like every 10 min.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can probably find the fittings you're looking for at about any place that sells hydraulic pumps, hose, etc. But....I'd listen to what these guys are saying.

I saw some info {I think here on OSO} some time ago where a guy showed how the stock Merc fittings {supposedly 1/2 inch} were actually only 3/8 ID. A 3/8 inch bolt would just barely slide into the 1/2 inch fittings of the oil cooler and related parts of the system. I don'nt think that 3/8 inch is adequate for an engine putting out any real hp.

I have a ZZ502/502 and have been fighting with oil temps for 3 years now. I'm using a big cooler but still have the stock lines and fittings. Once this season is over I'll be calling Fred at Trick to see about getting bigger ID lines and fittings. Like Z5atbf, I'd like to go with -12's. And the push on lines would be nice, if they can be used.

BTW, I changed my oil to the V-Twin 20-50 that Hydro has been talking up. Oil pressure stayed the same as with my Valvoline 20-50. And, my oil temp went about 10 degrees. Good stuff.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vandeano
Exactly like that. Unfortunately the one that I was going to replace the old one with, is the one with the inverted flair.

I'm going to go with the advice from the others, and just go with an aftermarket one. Even if I have to get a separate power steering cooler. Since Teague Marine is near by, I'll see what they have to offer. I just rebuilt this motor and I guess this would'nt be the best time to start getting cheap.

At the current time I'm running with out a cooler. I have a temperature gage and I shut her down any time it gets near 250 degrees. So thats like every 10 min.
None of my business but no oil cooler is a big mistake. Good thing you have the oil temp gage.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Registered

Check to make sure the cooler does not have a brass inverted flair fitting screwed into NPT threading on the cooler itself. When painted over they can look like one piece.

Quick Reply: Oil lines for Oil cooler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.