Iridium spark plugs >

Iridium spark plugs

Notices

Iridium spark plugs

Old 08-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iridium spark plugs

Just changed the iridium plugs in my 01 yukon 4x4 5.3 with 129K. The motor was running fine but I thought I might get better mileage with new plugs. I am impressed with the iridium plugs. They ran well , had the right color after 129K and held up pretty well.

I am thinking about puting iridium plugs in my sbc in my boat. I think ngk plugs are even stainless. Are these plugs any good for a boat motor?

I have heard some bad things about the bosch 4 plugs. Does anyone know what the story is?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Iridium spark plugs

well there are a couple of things about the denso's that make it a better plug. The IP's are better than platinum because of the melting point. Platinum has a melting point of roughly 3000 degrees F. Iridium has a melting point of roughly 4300 degrees F. Even though your engine doesn't produce that type of heat, the tips of a spark plug with a constant supply of thousands of volts will generate several thousand degrees of heat on a small surface. Iridiums conductivity is higher than that of platinum which means it takes less voltage to produce a flamed spark.

This means if we take two applications with the same coil that produces 40K volts, one with a standard plug and one with the Iridium plug, each one with produce that spark. Since the Iridium produces a flammed spark at less rate of voltage, its spark will be larger thus giving you better optimization of the coil and better efficiency of combustion.

Iridium plugs imo are the best plugs that came out yet...
Old 08-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Iridium spark plugs

Originally Posted by mobilecal
well there are a couple of things about the denso's that make it a better plug. The IP's are better than platinum because of the melting point. Platinum has a melting point of roughly 3000 degrees F. Iridium has a melting point of roughly 4300 degrees F. Even though your engine doesn't produce that type of heat, the tips of a spark plug with a constant supply of thousands of volts will generate several thousand degrees of heat on a small surface. Iridiums conductivity is higher than that of platinum which means it takes less voltage to produce a flamed spark.

This means if we take two applications with the same coil that produces 40K volts, one with a standard plug and one with the Iridium plug, each one with produce that spark. Since the Iridium produces a flammed spark at less rate of voltage, its spark will be larger thus giving you better optimization of the coil and better efficiency of combustion.

Iridium plugs imo are the best plugs that came out yet...
Great points!!

It's worth also noting that spark plugs can't increase the potential power that an engine can generate but a more efficient spark will provide more efficient combustion and associated performance and economy benefits. A poor spark from a worn or low grade spark plug will reduce efficiency. An Iridium plug will produce a more efficient spark as you mentioned.

Notable properties of Iridium are its melting point - approximately 2450 degrees C, considerably higher than Platinum, and it's strength - approximately 8 times that of platinum.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 08-21-2005 at 11:30 AM.