Target Trailer help >

Target Trailer help

Notices

Target Trailer help

Old 08-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Target Trailer help

The trailer for my excalibur is a 1983 Target triple axle. It looks to be built very well. Triple axles, drum brakes on all 3 axles, 16.5" 8 lug wheels.

My question is about the brake system. It has an air over hydraulic setup. It has a 3/4" hose with a fitting that looks like it plugs into the tow vehicle. The only problem is my F250 doesnt have air brakes. Actually, what does except semi's and dump trucks

I plan on getting new tires, brake lines, bearings, and sandblast and paint it. But I need to know how to make these brakes work again. My truck is a 2004 Super Duty Crew cab 4x4 diesel. Thanks
Old 08-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Target Trailer help

after market 12 volt air compressors are avialable, similiar to those use in low ride applications for the air suspension.

compressor
air tank
automatic shut off switch
pressure activated switch

should do the trick
Old 08-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on what kind of brakes it has. Are there hydrualic lines to the wheels or big air lines ? if they are hydrualic brake lines I would suggest getting an elctric over hydrualic master cylinder and just going that route. If it is an all air system you have to replace the whole thing. Air brakes don't use air to apply the breaks, a big sping does that. They use air pressure to hold the brakes off, if it is air of hydrualic it may use air to apply or air to release depending on what was towing it, if it was a class A motor home with air over hydrualic it will use air to apply and you can set up a compressor and solenoid to make it work. If it was set up to be towed behind somwthing with air brakes it may use air to realease the brakes and needs to be set up accordingly, basically you would use a relay to activate the solenoid valve when you applied the brakes which would shut off air pressure instead of turning it on when you applied the brakes, you will need to use a stepper solenoid that is much like an IAC motor becuase you need more then brakes on or brakes off, you need it to be variable, you would also need to set up some kind of potentiometer under your brake pedal to very the voltage sent to the stepper motor. All in all it will be much easier to set the trailer up with electric over hydrualic brakes.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Actually, I just found out its Vacuum over hydraulic. Im thinking going electric for simplicity. Do you know where to get the parts from online cheap? I guess I need a contoller for the truck, a actuator for the trailer. What else?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mild,
I have the target trailer as well, for my Xcab, triple axle, I really have not had much trouble with it, I made a long trip from miami to houston and several across town. Only advice I would have is becareful in your tight turns,If you combine that with higher speed hauling (65-70) it tends to loosen the lugs after a while. But around 55 I have found the trailer is solid and dependable. I am curious how you have your forward bunks set up to cradle your x-cab, I really want to get some ideas to make the loading process easier for myself.
thanks,
Kevin