nose cone on dual water pick up drive

Notices

nose cone on dual water pick up drive

Old 09-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 824 Likes on 377 Posts
Default nose cone on dual water pick up drive

I broke something in my max machine worx drive this weekend,feels like I chipped up the lower gears. I have a spare worx drive I am putting on for Hardy next wknd,it doesn't have a nose cone yet though. My boat runs about 90 mph,I know that it will scrub some speed off boat and cause transom lift,what nose cone are people using on the dual water pickup outdrives? I can't find a straight answer,thats why I don't have one on their yet.Can I or should I just block off the low water pickup on the drive and install a regular nose cone on it? My local marine dealer has a nose cone where you bore a 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch hole thru to water passage for a water pick up with a stainless tube going into drive BUT he doesn't really know if thats correct either. Thanks for any info,Smitty
Old 09-06-2005, 03:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: nose cone on dual water pick up drive

Not sure about dual water pick-up, but I have low water pick-ups and nosecones on my XR's. The drives on the boat when I bought it had a single large hole at the leading edge of the nosecone. I would often suck a plug of seaweed into it while idling. I would have to hop in and unplug the opening.

When I had Max upgrade my lowers, I had them change to lower cases that had the three smaller holes at the leading edge. No more problems with the seaweed.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: nose cone on dual water pick up drive

Smitty,
I have heard of a Hydromotive cone being added to low water pickup and the cone drilled to match the holes. Lot of work. But if you have side vents also, the only reason you may need to use the low pickup is a high X dim.. I have a couple of upper holes plugged so it will hold water psi.. and dont have low water pickup..

Hope that helps..
Dick