Broken distributor >

Broken distributor

Notices

Broken distributor

Old 09-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Broken distributor

I ran into a problem today and was hoping someone might be able to help out. I was running around 4000 rpm when all of a sudden one engine shut down. After alot of parts swaping I finally found that the distributor is broken - not sure yet if it's the shaft, the gear, the pin or the cam shaft. I doubt it's the cam becasue we just replaced it with a billet one a couple of months ago. My guess is it's the gear or the retainer pin but I ran out of daylight before I could pull it. My question is what would cause this to just break? And once I pull it do I need to worry about what pieces of metal might still be in there? Thanks for any advice you guys can give.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts
Default Re: Broken distributor

Unless your oil pump locked up or your distributer gear was extremely worn when you put it together I would think your cam broke off but you won't know until you pull the distributer. If the gear is ground off I would say the motor needs to come out and come apart to clean metal out and inspect what the metal did to brgs and stuff before it quit running. Cams breaking,especially crane hyd rollers, seems to be a new trend lately,Smitty
Old 09-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input Artic. I pulled the distributor today and it looks fine. I also cranked the engine and I know at least two of the cylinders have compression so I would guess I did not break the cam shaft but maybe the gear that mates up to the distributor?? I guess at this point the only thing to do is pull the motor and see what actually happened inside. Is this a common problem with Crane camshafts? This only has around 60 hours on it and I'm only running hp500's!
Old 09-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the new camshaft a roller? If so, and if you didn't use the recommended distributor gear with the camshaft, the gear can break. If I remember correctly, you need to use a bronze distributor gear with roller cams. This goes back a ways, and some things may have chaged since then. In any case, I would say you need to pull and look for damage. I would suggest pulling the distributor on the other engine and try to look for gear damage on that cam as well.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig, I have had issues with my cams also. The gears were .006 out of round and they kept chewing up dist.gears. I will call Laz Mesa, my builder and see what info he has on the cams, he has done alot of research on why mine broke. I know there is a bad batch of them out there. Frankie has been a huge help to me and any help I can be for either of you guys would be my pleasure

Bob
Old 09-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Registered

Thanks Bob. I wish it was my distributor gears that were chewed up but it looks like it may be the gears on the cam itself. I guess we won't really know what happened until we pull the cam out to take a look.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by splashandburn
Thanks Bob. I wish it was my distributor gears that were chewed up but it looks like it may be the gears on the cam itself. I guess we won't really know what happened until we pull the cam out to take a look.

I would bet that you have defective cams also !!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:24 AM
Registered

Did Crane make good on your cams? I doubt they even have a warranty because they consider them to be "racing" cams.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
Is the new camshaft a roller? If so, and if you didn't use the recommended distributor gear with the camshaft, the gear can break. If I remember correctly, you need to use a bronze distributor gear with roller cams. This goes back a ways, and some things may have chaged since then. In any case, I would say you need to pull and look for damage. I would suggest pulling the distributor on the other engine and try to look for gear damage on that cam as well.

Good luck!

Most of the roller cams for marine use come with a pressed on cast gear that is compatible with the standard distributor gear. Not all come that way though. There are often the same grinds with different part #'s. The difference is in the gear.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by splashandburn

You should be able to look down the hole where you pulled the distributor with a flashlight and see the cam gear. have someone rotate the engineby hand while you look.

Quick Reply: Broken distributor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.