OMC cobra vs Volvo Sx transom assembly >

OMC cobra vs Volvo Sx transom assembly

Notices

OMC cobra vs Volvo Sx transom assembly

Old 09-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OMC cobra vs Volvo Sx transom assembly

If I wanted to get a new transom assembly for my SX drive about how much should I expect to pay? Also, who should i talk to about it? Where can I get the best deal?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Registered

Huh... This is good to know.
He must not have realized that mine was an 87 when he gave me a quote.

Sure that I told him....

Anyway... good to know.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Registered

I'm still a bit confused as to why the OMC cobra transom assembly wont work with my volvo penta sx drive. I thought that the shift cable ran straight through the transom assembly and into the drive. How would the transom assembly affect shifting? I'm obviously not that knowlegeable on the subject so I'll all the help I can get.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Registered

I have been thinking about this quite a bit David.

You know.... if the cutout is the same.... it is really just a matter of how many parts need to be swapped out.

For example... take one boat that has an OMC/chevy 260. Another boat that has a Volvo/chevy 260.

Theoretically if you remove everything that is different until you get down to say.... the BLOCK.... you could swap between boats. Lots of work... yes... but possible? Yes.

The hang up seems to be how much stuff can be used in either set up.

Obviously not exactly a bolt-on proposition.... but the boat doesn't know any different.

Maybe the hang up is on the "helmet" or exterior bell housing?
Old 09-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the major hang-up is the "helmet" if you look at a cobra the shifter is actually in the lower (old v-6 outboard technology) in the middle of the "helmet" there is a lever that moves up and down. on the joint venture/volvo penta system the shifting is done in the upper so there is a cable that goes through the drive to the rear where it links to the shift actuator thus moving the cone. there are mods that can be done. as fund has said we have done this hundreds of times changing the old cobras to sx or dp-s drives. we just cant explain how to do it. mostly for legal reasons, but partially because a magician never tells how he disappears. lastly your best bet would be to find a reputable volvo dealer to do this repair. trust me you will save in the long run. i have stories of guys that spend thousands to fix their own problem. only to come here in a last ditch effort to boat and the bill be less than a hundred dollars that and if a dealer does it you have someone to stand behind the repair if if something goes wrong. my 2 cents
Old 09-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Registered

Hey Outdrive man,
Can you reccomend anyone in central florida? I've havent had much luck finding anyone before.
Thanks
`Dave
Old 09-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call M.m.i. In Orlando Ask For Craig Burns He Is The Volvo Dealer Instructor. He Should Know Of Some Reputable Folks That Can Help You
Old 09-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Registered

I'm thinking about just purchasing a new transom assembly for my 96 sx drive. What is an appropriate price? I'm able to do the installation on my own. Does anyone know where I might find a used one in good shape?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by davids94
I'm thinking about just purchasing a new transom assembly for my 96 sx drive. What is an appropriate price? I'm able to do the installation on my own. Does anyone know where I might find a used one in good shape?
Is something wrong with your transom assy on your 191? I may have a source for a used assy and I'm sure he could get you a good price on a new.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Registered

That explains it... the joint venture is easier but the older mod can be done.

I hardly know the guys... but Dubberts rules. Port Clinton is lucky to have a resource like them.

They have saved my butt about three times with different boats.

Once I bent a shift shaft on an Alpha and had a buyer coming in a few days. I took the drive off and ran it to Dubberts. They called me the next morning and said "come get your drive." They had taken it apart, fixed it, put it back together, and filled it with new drive oil.
In less than 48 hours the boat was back to normal and it only cost me about a hundred bucks. The sale went on as planned and the new owner was happy.
So you can see why I am a Dubberts fan.

Quick Reply: OMC cobra vs Volvo Sx transom assembly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.