7.4L and merlin heads >

7.4L and merlin heads

Notices

7.4L and merlin heads

Old 09-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.4L and merlin heads

i have a mark IV motor and i am thinking of buying these merlin heads from someone. will they work on this engine? i just dont want to buy something that wont fit i have herd that some heads wont fit some blocks and will leak water. i dont know if this just applies to gm heads? and not aftermarket?

Last edited by 98itrwhite; 09-16-2005 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 7.4L and merlin heads

Most aftermarket heads are designed to fit either block. I have a pair of Merlins on my Gen VI engine. World Products say their Merlin heads will work on Mark IV or Gen VI blocks.
The stock head bolts will not work on Merlin heads. I bought a set of ARP bolts for mine. I think they were about $100.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Registered

is there a special gasket set? or just a mark IV gasket set will be fine?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 98itrwhite
is there a special gasket set? or just a mark IV gasket set will be fine?
I believe you just need a Mark IV gasket. I have yet to build a Mark IV engine with aftermarket heads....
Old 09-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need the ARP head bolts and Feel Pro gaskets for the Mark IV block. Check the gaskets on the block first but they should work fine. The good gasket retail at around $100 per set but they are worth it if you run in salt. Are these the raised exhaust port heads?

We just built up a pair of 496 strokers with the Merlin heads. They scream and make for a pretty reliable set up.

If you need the PN for the gaskets let me know, I'll look it up.

Fionn
Old 09-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Registered

Just picked up my Fel Pro gaskets. I`m using #1037. They were $42 each. I have a Gen VI block, Merlin VR heads.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The heads will fit, but if your engine is a 330HP 454 with flat tops (8:1 compression and wimpy cam), you may not gain a whole lot without making other changes...
With 9:1 compression and a bigger cam, you can gain 100HP with those heads...
Old 09-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think COMBINATION!! Heads, intake, cam, carb {or re-jetting}, maybe pistons for more compression...........on and on and on.....

Don't buy a part here and a part there just because ya get a good deal on one. Discuss your hp/tq/goals with someone who knows their chitt ...rmbuilder, cstraub, Mesa, just to mention a few here on OSO. You'll be much better off and save allot of BS down the road. Just my .02
Old 09-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kidnova
Think COMBINATION!! Heads, intake, cam, carb {or re-jetting}, maybe pistons for more compression...........on and on and on.....

Don't buy a part here and a part there just because ya get a good deal on one. Discuss your hp/tq/goals with someone who knows their chitt ...rmbuilder, cstraub, Mesa, just to mention a few here on OSO. You'll be much better off and save allot of BS down the road. Just my .02
see thats the thing, i dont want to buy these heads and make very little power gain. in the deal for the heads this is whats included-2cast iron merlin ported heads (Porting was done by Todd Goodwin at www.goodwincompetition.net) a matched and ported dart intake and holley 800cfm carb. i then would have to buy a roller cam setup and a nice aftermarket exhuast setup (which i intend to do with or without heads) and also i was told that it wont be reliable anymore and its really hard to tune and dail in.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Registered

It takes a little work but it's not really that difficult. Put a roller cam in it similar to the HP500 cam and prop it to turn 5200-5400. It can put out 500+ reliable horsepower.

Quick Reply: 7.4L and merlin heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.