Mobil 1, will it help ??? >

Mobil 1, will it help ???

Notices

Mobil 1, will it help ???

Old 09-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mobil 1, will it help ???

Yeah, Hydro; You may have a point. Up here in this land of hills, ice, and snow we had the Audi Quattro for several years. Now we have a Subaru that gets us around just as well, has less problems, and is much cheaper to buy and maintain. (although it isn't really quite as much fun to drive) But we digress here. --- Jer
Old 09-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Mobil 1, will it help ???

Originally Posted by jpclear
Yeah, Hydro; You may have a point. Up here in this land of hills, ice, and snow we had the Audi Quattro for several years. Now we have a Subaru that gets us around just as well, has less problems, and is much cheaper to buy and maintain. (although it isn't really quite as much fun to drive) But we digress here. --- Jer
It's sad to see Mercedes Benz customer satisfaction surverys showing that the car has more than average repairs. The Lexus is about as perfect as it gets they say..though I am a MB fan and never really liked rice burners to a great extent.

Porsche seems to have a good thing going with the new Turbo S Carrera.

The funny thing is nobody ..including the Japs..can catch Ferrari which seems to be at the top of it's game with the Enzo and the new F-340 owning that market and the 100k over sticker that goes with it. Usually Italian cars and high tech were not words in the same sentence.

Nice to see GM finally made it's best car ever in it's history...the ZO-6 Corvette...though it's still a Corvette it's a darn fast one that handles very well...wish they had a 5 grand interior upgrade...the interior is what YOU look at when you are driving...it has a Pontiac Trans AM look...needs an upgrade option is all...leather dash..some carbon inserts..some aluminum inserts...wait..then it would look like a Porsche... also needs a roll bar option as most dragways require one in 11 second cars and a sunroof atleast would be nice.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-18-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Registered

The outdrive oil must be 100% synthetic. You can not use the same gear oil as Merc.

I had this problem with a 1991 454 King Cobra. Drained the out drive, and checked the cables.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered

Actually, as water (the liquid) changes to it's solid,crystalline form (ice) it's volume increases. Thereafter, as the temperature decreases further, ice, like any other solid contracts.

Achtung, Hydro! Thats German science! --- Jer
Ice below 32 degrees? Interesting.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Registered

swood, do you remember exactly what oil you used and do I just need to drain and refill or do something else? I had a reply on a different forum that said to clean the gears with laquer thinner??? something about a glaze. The cables have been checked and set to factory specs. thanks for the reply.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Banned

Water is at it's most dense point at 4 degrees Celsius. Not that it has any bearing here, just something I remember from high school.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Registered

Yes, Ice is it's warmest at 32*F, and like any other medium will get colder as you take more calories (or BTU's) away. Also of note, since it was touched on in a recent thread; When testing a gage sender or thermostat in a pot of boiling water, do not assume that the max temp. reached in that pot is 212*F. The steam in the bubbles surrounding the piece being tested may be WAY hotter. --- Jer
Old 10-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Registered

And to confuse things even further: If you live on the top of a mountain with a 12,000 ft. elevation, you can boil an egg for about 1/2 hr. before it is cooked to the consistency of 3 mins. boiling at sea level cause water boils at about 160*F in that atmosphere and it takes a long time to cook an egg at 160*. We tend to assume that all ice is 32*F and all boiling water is 212*F This is just NOT so. --- Jer
Old 10-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Banned

And to confuse things even further: If you live on the top of a mountain with a 12,000 ft. elevation, you can boil an egg for about 1/2 hr. before it is cooked to the consistency of 3 mins. boiling at sea level cause water boils at about 160*F in that atmosphere and it takes a long time to cook an egg at 160*. We tend to assume that all ice is 32*F and all boiling water is 212*F This is just NOT so. --- Jer
I was going to point that out, but I didn't want to confuse the masses.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Registered

You can use the Mobil 1. The problem is that when the oil is warm, the cone clutch can not move the oil out fast enough to engage in reverse. I replaced the lower cables because they werent moving freely.