Hatch repair >

Hatch repair

Notices

Hatch repair

Old 10-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch repair

I have a 1995 24' Baja Outlaw and I'm the second owner. The previous owner kept the boat outside with the cockpit cover on but over the years alittle water seemed to manage to get to the engine hatch cover and I think the plywood may have a few bad spots. I would like to take the hatch off and try and change the plywood myself but am worried that maybe this may be more work then I'm capable of. I would like to know if anyone has done this and If I can tackle it over the winter while the boats in storage. I'm not sure If the bolts are lags or other types. Thanks
Old 10-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts
Default Re: Hatch repair

Its not just a single sheet of plywood in there. It is crappy design. you'll see what I mean when you get it apart. Water gets in and can't get out. Figure on this being about 10 times as much work as it looks.

It is not a difficult job, just a pain in the a$$. All of the bolts and screws go into T-Nuts. Many will be seized and you will have to drill them or cut them off. As far as the wood, if you can cut plywood straight, and copy the design, you'll be fine.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When replacing drill several 1" holes in the ply wood to allow water to escape. Some use plastic around the wood which only works a short while and eventually doesn't allow water out at all.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Registered

Several post about this before on the forum . Dont redo the hatch with plywood use hdpe plastic or more expensive starboard available at any plastics shop it will last forever and wont soak up water
Old 10-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, what they said.

I replaced all the upholstery of my Baja a winter. The project started because I had a problem with the hatch. Went out and bought a sewing machine, and a bunch of marine vinyl, and just went to town. Within 2 seasons, I was already wishing I would have used something other than Plywood.

I have a question about using Starboard - how do you attach the vinyl to it? My hatch vinyl was stapled to the underside of the Ply.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Registered

I would say to screw a thin strip of plywood to the bottom of the starboard around the outside boarders and staple the uphoulstery to that.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Registered

Don't use Starboard--the staples won't hold and there is no adhesive that will adhere to it.

Use foam core PVC - SENTRA - you can staple to it.

Also--use Stainless Steel staples..
Old 10-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Registered

A commercial air operated stapler usede by any upolstery shop will fasten stainless staples to starboard or HDPE . I used all HDPE plastic on a24 outlaw interior and wouldn't go any other way it will last longer than the boat. HDPE plastic works like plywood , make all the templates yourself take to a upolstery shop and have them staple it right up . Minimal charge at best.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Registered

Codered............what is HDPE plastic and where do you get it. Anyinfo on price or weight?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Registered

HDPE is High Density Polyethelyene Plastic it comes in 4x8 sheets in varying thicknesses available at any plastic supply houses it is cheaper than starboard and works like plywood.

Quick Reply: Hatch repair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.