Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge >

Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge

Notices

Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge

Old 10-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge

Ya I have that also. It is called www.generac.com
Old 10-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts
Default Re: Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Ya I have that also. It is called www.generac.com
LOL....yea that would be ideal......but the community he lives in has some crotchety old geezers on the village board.......cutting you grass on Sundays can be a pain in the a$$ if you don't clear it with them first!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of this mombo jumbo makes me want to go buy a stock mercruiser unit.

I understand competition, but this thread has made me loose respect for both sides.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 824 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE
Here is another question. Depending on the type of pick-up being used does the pump even need to "pump" over a certain boat speed? Water pressure in a "pitot" type pick-up will be close to 1 psi / mph so in this case does it even need to pump at speeds over say 80 MPH in all cases? My IMCO drive grabs so much water at speed the pump probably isn't even doing anything compared to the ram created by the boat motion. At low speeds and idle is another story because the ram isn't high enough to adequately feed the motor. Try revving your motor up in neutral and see how much pressure these pumps generate. It ain't much. I would be more interested in GPM's at low RPM's and of course durability compared to the stock stuff.
How does sucking water thru the pickup in outdrive compare to a regular pickup in a bravo housing? I have wondered about this in the past,I am still using the factory pickup in the drive,does it create the kind of pressure (or actually the term should be net positive suction head )mentioned in post # 71? Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 10-04-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is another question. Depending on the type of pick-up being used does the pump even need to "pump" over a certain boat speed? Water pressure in a "pitot" type pick-up will be close to 1 psi / mph so in this case does it even need to pump at speeds over say 80 MPH in all cases? My IMCO drive grabs so much water at speed the pump probably isn't even doing anything compared to the ram created by the boat motion. At low speeds and idle is another story because the ram isn't high enough to adequately feed the motor. Try revving your motor up in neutral and see how much pressure these pumps generate. It ain't much. I would be more interested in GPM's at low RPM's and of course durability compared to the stock stuff.
At 100 mph pressure created from ram effect is about 140psi!
Most high speed boats are dumping off water to reduce high pressure.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Below that specified pressure the clutch would be engaged allowing the pump to be running. Once there is adequate ram pressure to overcome the spring the cylinder would retract dis engaging the clutch and the pump will no longer be turning.

Craig
Still gotta figure in the boats that have sea water driven fuel pumps. I'm sure anything can be built, but will it be practical/$$$$. Sounds like a pretty complicated pump. The way it is now, only have to worry about a $20 impellor burning up. Replace it in the spring every yr and practice no dry starts, shouldn't have a problem. Other than a clogged pickup.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
How does sucking water thru the pickup in outdrive compare to a regular pickup in a bravo housing? I have wondered about this in the past,I am still using the factory pickup in the drive,does it create the kind of pressure (or actually the term should be net positive suction head )mentioned in post # 71? Smitty
Hi
I still use the drive pickup since it is the most effective method. Hull mounted pick ups suffer from air ingested caviation.Some of This air goes to the pump and engine. The water lower down is less disturbed . KPM makes wtaer pickups and I do not have one on my own boat since i cannot improve with what I already have.
Jules Morgan
Old 10-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

First,how much water pressure will "MLS" or "O" ring head gaskets handle before leaking?Second,how water pressure are the cup cars running?Third,how much water pressure is required to encapsulate bubbles in aerated water?Fourth,what is the recommended method of scavenging air before it reaches the engine block?Fifth,can CMI or Stelling headers handle the water volume produced by the bypass pump design?If not,what is the plumbing recommendation?
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

How about having your debates on email, or a test agreed by both parties or this thread will have to be deleted, this is getting out of hand
Old 10-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Registered

undefined

ok think its time to set the record straight .....i have had dealings for 6 years with kpm suplying high spec billet one off parts for race cars and think that you all need to get a life as we brits stick together .... KPM parts are all made in the uk and aint cheep crap ive been to the factory and had dealings with jules his a straight up guy and if you got any problems hes more tha willing to help anybody

thejackel

Quick Reply: Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.